To overclock or not...

Proteos

Gawd
Okay, so I am going to admit. I'm new to overclocking.

I am a bit hesitant about doing so because I would like my new computer to last quite a while, but at the same time I want to see how far I can potentially push my system.

Can anyone convince me one way or the other? Check my sig for my system specs.

Theres really no reason not to. You can reach 3+ Ghz on stock voltage. By doing that, you aren't really lessening the life of your processor.

OC but be careful, i personally enjoy OCing more than actually playing games on my computer :)

And you definitely have a good build for OCing Rampage Formula is awesome, and the S1283 is a great cooler...

Theres really no reason not to. You can reach 3+ Ghz on stock voltage. By doing that, you aren't really lessening the life of your processor.

I know I should read the OC guide that is stickied in this forum, but essentially would I just increase the FSB and not touch the voltage?

So if I am to gather correctly from your post, the thing that reduces the life of a cpu is uping the voltage?

Overclock! , It's so fun seeing how far you can push you card just becareful and read ots of guides and if you dont want to read guides then i would suggest not doing it at all , but i did it and now i am so happy with the performance i got out of my signature rig.....just make sure if you take a swing at it without guides don't go over 1.5volts supposedly it shortens the life of chips......

Well if you plan on keeping this computer for 7 or 8 years in its current form, then pushing the max safe voltage and taking your cpu up to 3.6+ might lessen its life span. So we're not talking about a lifespan being cut to 1 or 2 years. Chances are you'd have upgraded in the next 5 years.

So I think that danger is a bit overstated and only really relevant if you're doing some extreme oc'ing. Like was said up there...up to 3ghz you should be able to oc on stock voltage. And you have a good air cooler and a 45nm cpu so your temps should be fine.

I'm kind of like Beakerz...I probably enjoy overclocking and tinkering with the computer more than actually using it ...which these days predominantly means video encoding, and that doesn't really require me per say lol. So I OC more to save some encoding time. Even then, i turned on speedstep so I'm not always at 3.6.

I would try and stay below 1.4 V on that CPU.....no reason you should need anywhere near that voltage ,let alone more...You should be able to do 3.0-3.2 on stock volts....3.4-3.6 on about 1.3-1.35 max....
Mine does 3.4 on stock volts, but its probably a fluke..I have another one that needs 1.3 to do 3.4
Both on the same board....

the thing that reduces the life of a CPU is upping the voltage?

Technically, yes and no.

Yes if too high, Intel publishes the Absolute max Vcore in the data sheets and it is very wise to stay under that for a lot of reasons. No if done in moderation there is no study or long term life cycle testing that shows that minor to medium increased in Vcore reduce the lifetime of the CPU. If someone has a link I would like to see it.

If you understand what you are doing and why there is no reason you should not take advantage of the sometimes huge jumps in performance a minor or medium increase in CPU voltage will provide. As you are new to OCing see what it will do with stock, find the limits of the board CPU and memory at stock voltages. Then one at a time investigate the results of giving the CPU a "bump" or two in voltage. Ditto memory and MCH.

In the end its your stuff and you should do or not do what you are comfortable with. After all there is no hurry and its not like you have to OC it today, or even next week. As you mentioned it is a new machine I actually suggest you use it for a a couple of weeks to make sure it is rock solid at stock and let all the components "burn in" a bit. Then start playing at your own pace. The place to start is your bios. You must understand what every important setting does, reread the manuals bios section at least 3 times and Google anything not clear or post a question here. Then make sure you understand the basic rules.

CPU runs at CPU multiplier x FSB.
memory runs at FSB x 2 x (memory ratio - typically 1 )

Processors are very durable nowadays and you can push them hard before they give out.

Having said that, if you want longevity, just OC to the point where your processor on full load doesn't pass 60C.

I can almost guarentee that at sub 60C, even OC'd parts will last quite a while with good clean power.

The only way you damage a chip is if you put too much voltage in it, or it runs too hot.

As long as you keep the temps and voltages in the right spots, OC your mind out!

http://processorfinder.intel.com/ (Find your chip, and make sure you're safe when OCing)

Let's say I want to look at my chip (E6400). I need to make sure I don't go over around 61oC, and I'm allowed to go up to 1.5 voltage. My OC is at 1.3750v and under load I never pass 58oC, plus it was 4+ hours orthos stable. I'm safe!

I'd like to thank everyone for posting here and helping me out :) I have a few questions to ask based upon the feedback here. First, does OCing void my warranty? Second, I am currently seeing an 8 degree spread between all my core temps... would this be considered ok, or should I take the HSF off and reapply the thermal paste to see if I get a lower temp spread.

The temp difference isn't a super serious issue but can probably be fixed by lapping the heatsink and processor IHS. Redoing thermal paste will likely not change it as long as good contact is being made. I'd check to make sure your heatsink is making good contact.

OCing is supposed to void your warranty, but they will usually replace your processor as long as it isn't burnt.

I'd like to thank everyone for posting here and helping me out :) I have a few questions to ask based upon the feedback here. First, does OCing void my warranty? Second, I am currently seeing an 8 degree spread between all my core temps... would this be considered ok, or should I take the HSF off and reapply the thermal paste to see if I get a lower temp spread.

keep in mind the OS is running stuff on the cores as well as the temp program itself. Its not a heavy load but its difficult to determine what is runnng where and how it is heating up each core.

I would not worry about it, see what the spread is under heavy load on all cores. I bet the spread lessens. Look at lapping, if you go to the trouble of taking it apart you might consider lapping at least the heatsink before you put it back on.

keep in mind the OS is running stuff on the cores as well as the temp program itself. Its not a heavy load but its difficult to determine what is runnng where and how it is heating up each core.

I would not worry about it, see what the spread is under heavy load on all cores. I bet the spread lessens. Look at lapping, if you go to the trouble of taking it apart you might consider lapping at least the heatsink before you put it back on.

When under load, if I remember correctly, the gap is identical. Core 0 and 2 run at around 8 degress higher than Core 1 and 3, which makes me think that 0 and 2 possibly do not have as good of contact as 1 and 3 do.

Thanks again for all the help, although I am still debating OCing or not. I can run all the games that I do play on max settings at 1920 by 1200 so I am not so sure it really is warranted right now... but then again, it would be fun to do :D

So technically it does void your warranty, but it's almost impossible to tell if the processor went out due to OCing unless it is burnt to a crisp?

Back