Torching a new laptop

relic

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2007
So I have this new compaq 8710p with an NVS 320m (8700m GT) for work.
...now those of you who know me well, understand that I OC my toasters.....and my fuzzy pink bunny slippers. ;)

So...

Here I am with the core at 740 and the shaders at 1480 at 75c with a GPU2 client. (and an SMP client too, since I'm a greedy points whore)

So how high will it go?

Just wasn't hot enough, and 1550 PPD for GPU2 was a bit weak....

So 760 and 1520 is the new reality....onward and upward.

Just wasn't hot enough, and 1550 PPD for GPU2 was a bit weak....

So 760 and 1520 is the new reality....onward and upward.

I haven't heard the fire trucks go by yet.... keep pushing, it'll hit 1800 either PPD or Fahrenheit. :D

0.png

Last setting was good for 1600 PPD, but I dropped the core to stock (575) and pushed the shaders to 1600....cause I can. ;) Let's see if it helps, if not I'm gonna see what an 800 core will do, otherwise go for 1800 shaders at stock core. :D

HighYield..I know you speak the truth....The 575 core just didn't do it...so here we are at 750 core and 1800 shaders.

:D Burn baby burn.

Now we're talking. I love the smell of silicone sizzlin.

/me reaches for a beer and sits back to enjoy the show.

1800PPD for GPU2 but I had to turn off the SMP client to get there.
The GPU was still running at 75c, but after I shut down the SMP client it jumped to 77-78c and the PPD increased from 1650 to 1800.

Not as productive as the SMP + GPU (t8100 CPU with NVS 320M GPU) together...so I'll play a bit and find the best PPD.

So far it looks like 1600 (GPU2) plus 800 (SMP) is a sweet spot.

Edit...oops that looks like 2025PPD now after a few more WU.
did I say 2025, I meant 2055. ;)

800 core 1800 shaders coming up.

speaking of laptop gpu's, what are you using to do the OC'ing? rivatuner doesn't read the clock speeds on my 8800M gtx correctly at all. any suggestions on something else to use?

btw i get about 3600ppd from it right now.

Now we're talking. I love the smell of silicone sizzlin.

/me reaches for a beer and sits back to enjoy the show.

Ya, and the odds are he won’t even have the decency to provide pictures with smoke;)

speaking of laptop gpu's, what are you using to do the OC'ing? rivatuner doesn't read the clock speeds on my 8800M gtx correctly at all. any suggestions on something else to use?

btw i get about 3600ppd from it right now.

EVGA precision v1.1.1

thanks for the suggestion but it's not reading the clocks right either. time to look for an updated bios for the 8800M gtx i think.

I think I ran out of OC.
The EVGA precision tool stopped at 1840...

I need more shader!

I think I ran out of OC.
The EVGA precision tool stopped at 1840...

I need more shader!

easy, just edit the video bios and set the desired values (in MHz), reflash your vid card with the edited video BIOS and enjoy an awesome OC, or a dead card whatever comes first ;)

Way to Torch !!1
Torch On !!!

850 1840.

Damn thing still won't EUE :D

Gonna look for an updated BIOS

This is crazy...... do you have the lappy in nitrogen?!? :eek:

Hell, it's folding in my home office...and with 3 quads folding, 2 servers a laser printer and 3 other workstations in here, it's not exactly cool.

Damn thing just ran out of software before it ran out of ass.
Looks like 2200 PPD is max....cause the software won't go any higher.

Any ideas? It ain't melting yet....still only 77c GPU.
A LT running 3 minute steps....is too damn slow! :D
Who cares that it started at 5:30 per step?

Maxed...that's all she'll do....hardware is fine but the software won't go any higher.

77c, 2200PPD (fahmon reporting) 850 core and 1840 shaders (EVGA precision)
Stock is 575 and 1150.

To be honest...I am a bit disappointed.
This is the first time the software gave out before I crashed the hardware. ;)

I'm going to let it run overnight then add a the SMP client back in to see what happens.

This thread has been pretty helpful for me: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=261664

It's specific to the 8800m gtx but it does mention and link to a few tools that you'll need for flashing the bios on your card. The two big ones being nvflash and NiBiTor. NiBiTor lets you edit the clock settings of a bios file, and nvflash is the nvidia flash tool. I'm going to give a try once I can find a danm floppy disk :).

I'm going to give a try once I can find a danm floppy disk :).

floppy disk ?!?! come on it´s the 21st century, get a flash drive and make it bootable ;)

...a damn floppy disk :).

None of those in sight anymore....I remember when two 360k 5.25s was the best I could afford...because the 5MB MSM HDD was $5000.

wow, you really are a relic :p

I used to have this greap CP/M box.
It screamed at 4MHz, but the memory available was too slow to keep up with the blazing 8080 CPU so it had two interleaved banks of 64KB RAM.

It eventually died, but my Compaq 80286 lunchbox still runs. (on DOS 3.31)
It has Word Perfect 1.0 installed and Visicalc. It also has the ass-kicking gas-plasma display at 640x400 and 2MB of RAM (640k lower memory 384k Extended and 1MB Expanded)

Oh, and it's morning and the HP LT is still spitting out WU. :D

Be trendy and old at the same time, buy a usb floppy drive ;) I got a few at work for our laptops fleet in case some people still cling to floppies for their work stuff (the average age of laptop users is 60 years old, they are judges).

However, if you are a techno geek, get a usb thumbdrive, make it bootable and you are in techno heaven :)

Looks like 2200PPD from the GPU2 and 900PPD from SMP is the best I can do ATM.

The GPU2 points do drop a bit when I added the SMP, but still a net gain over GPU alone.
I'll play a bit more and see if it has any more PPD.

Ya know, it never donned on me that my laptop has an nVidia graphics card. It's not my laptop, so I don't mind if it frys. I can just request a new one :)

I'll have to see if I can get the GPU2 client running on it. My C2D on my laptop with the newer 2665's is only putting out roughly 950 PpD. The GPU2 client can at least help in that regard

Well no joy here with trying to torch my laptop. I got everything running and bumped the shaders all the way to the max using eVGA Precision Tool and the best my laptop can do is 300PpD which obviously is much less than just the SMP. So SMP it is for me :(

I used to have this greap CP/M box.
It screamed at 4MHz, but the memory available was too slow to keep up with the blazing 8080 CPU so it had two interleaved banks of 64KB RAM.

It eventually died, but my Compaq 80286 lunchbox still runs. (on DOS 3.31)
It has Word Perfect 1.0 installed and Visicalc. It also has the ass-kicking gas-plasma display at 640x400 and 2MB of RAM (640k lower memory 384k Extended and 1MB Expanded)

Oh, and it's morning and the HP LT is still spitting out WU. :D

I'd be willing to bet that half the youngins around here wouldn't know what VisiCalc was or what to do with it if they ever encountered it in the wild.

And for the record, Apple ][ > CP/M. :D

And for the record, Apple ][ > CP/M. :D

To quote me twenty years ago in reference to Apples and that newfangled mouse thing:
"fruit and vermin don't belong on my desk."

:D :D

Update on the smokin' foldin' lappy.

Still chugging along at 3k PPD.
However I was able to clock the core down to 650 and leave the shaders at 1840.

There was about a 200PPD drop from the GPU, but the SMP client picked up about 200PPD. Since the SMP client only runs the CPU cores at 55c and I can drop the GPU temp 5c with this approach, I'll keep it here.

I did have a problem with the GPU clocking down but it was when the screen saver kicked in XP, even with all of the power saving features turned off.

I turned down the back light and set the screen saver for blank and 960 minutes. To blank the screen I just hit the "preview" button in the screen saver tab. The screen blanks fine and the GPU stays at top speed.

Back