Toshiba Successfully Demonstrates Nearline HDDs with Massive Capacity of Over 30TB

erek

[H]F Junkie
"The other technology is MAMR, which uses microwaves to enhance magnetic recording capabilities. Toshiba was the first to demonstrate its effectiveness and started mass production of first-generation drives in 2021. Toshiba achieved 31 TB by stacking 11 disks, utilizing SMR technology, and improving signal processing.

These new achievements were made possible through years of close collaborative work with Resonac Corporation, a HDD media manufacturer, and TDK Corporation, a HDD head manufacturer. Toshiba and its working partners are committed to continue developing both HAMR and MAMR technologies in order to provide higher capacity HDDs to meet the growing storage demand of the cloud and datacenters.

A technical lecture detailing the demonstration will be presented at the IDEMA Symposium scheduled for May 16."

1715745024746.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/322443/...rline-hdds-with-massive-capacity-of-over-30tb

This is really cool. Bring on the "microwave your drive" jokes though :D. I'm actually going to try to watch for the lecture to see if I can catch it, too.

Toshiba makes really good HDD's. I think it's the safe go to after HGST/Hitachi purchases.

meh. SMR means that unless someone here's running a data centers SAN they're useless to everyone reading about it here.

meh. SMR means that unless someone here's running a data centers SAN they're useless to everyone reading about it here.
I'm sure there's some of us. And we've got some real horders that can probably make use of SMR as well. Also, chances are all the other bits work without shingles too, but the density is a bit less so the PR highlights the capacity with SMR. I think I saw someone has a drive you can format for PMR or SMR, and you get 10% more capacity with SMR. Makes sense if you can use it, but I can't (and device managed SMR is terrible, so no thanks)

These are too big for me, that scares me.
The rebuild times on my 12TB SAS drives are problematic enough 30… no thank you.

Granted if I had multiple storage arrays mirrored so it could not only rebuild but also check against a known good data set…

I don’t think I’d get budget approval.
But a man can dream.

Back