Toughest laptop sleeve-style case?

Guy Montag

n00b
I've got a small and fairly thin 13" laptop and the original neoprene case I got for it works well, it doesn't protect it from anything aside from scratches really.

I don't need a laptop bag, I've already got a messenger bag I use for classes and the like.

Are there any sleeves out there that have lots of internal cushioning so that if you bang your messenger bag against a car door, for example - the laptop itself wouldn't be damaged?

I suppose if Pelican made a laptop-sleeve sized case, I'd be first in line to buy it. Saving that, is there anything out there that you can slip into a messenger bag, but protects a laptop from bangs and bumps more than just a few thin layers of neoprene or foam?

Something along the lines of a Pelican 1090 case, but not quite as thick?

Last edited:
Tom Bihn - http://www.tombihn.com/ makes some great enclosures. I personally use their softcell. It's much thicker than the old sleeve I had, and better made. It's not going to protect it from any really big banks, because it's still a soft shell, but it's good padding. Their hard shell, the "brain cell," is a tough piece of equipment. It literally suspends your laptop inside the shell, but it should still fit in most backpacks.

Their customer service was awesome (I live in Seattle, so I dealt with them in person), so you can always hop on the forum or call if you have questions.

I have Timbuk2 cases, very good cushioness with them. $15 on sales, forget where...

Tom Bihn - http://www.tombihn.com/ makes some great enclosures. I personally use their softcell. It's much thicker than the old sleeve I had, and better made. It's not going to protect it from any really big banks, because it's still a soft shell, but it's good padding. Their hard shell, the "brain cell," is a tough piece of equipment. It literally suspends your laptop inside the shell, but it should still fit in most backpacks.

Their customer service was awesome (I live in Seattle, so I dealt with them in person), so you can always hop on the forum or call if you have questions.

Yeah, that Brain Cell thing looks pretty good, though for $60, I'd be tempted to see if I couldn't make my own version (given all their nice cutaway photos heh).

Back