Transferring large files over network randomly SLOWS to a crawl

colinstu

2[H]4U
update: problem fixed.

whatnetwork.jpg

What is going on here? And it will sit that way and every 30 sec or whatever peak a little and return back to 0%.

I just tried all these things http://www.sysprobs.com/windows-7-network-slow maybe that would fix it, didn't though.

Last edited:
68 views and still nothing?

Restarted both computers, tried again, still happening. No, neither computer is entering sleep mode/ hard drive spinning down.

What router / switch you have between the two PCs? Have you tried to update the NIC drivers?

i had an issue quite similar on my 2008r2 server via microsoft ftp server.
i used flashfxp as the ftp client and every 2-30 seconds the transfer speed would go down to 0 kbs for a couple seconds or longer then kick back in to ~95mB/s. it turned out to be that for some reason it was flashfxp screwing up somehow so i switched to filezilla and have had no issues.
its a longshot that we have the same issue but worth a shot in case you are using ftp

I just transferred that 8GB of stuff over my wifi connection over the other computer's wifi connection and it did work... albeit horribly slowly. (850kb/sec vs 11mb/sec... 3hrs vs 15min).

Both wifi adapters and AP are 802.11G and I was expecting a little more speed wise... I guess not.

Disabled all the wireless adapters, took the same steps to "speed up file transfers" on Vista machine too, copied files/folders in chunks instead of all of it at the same time... EVERYTHING is transferred successfully now.

Thanks!

Back