Tri-Card Folding Help

Nessus85

2[H]4U
Okay, so I have my new 100% dedicated to folding rig completely put together, but I am having an issue. The unit currently has thee 260's installed. The bottom two are running great. But the top one is only doing about 2/3 what the others are. I know there were problems in the past where mixing different cards could lead to this but all three of these cards are 216core editions.

I do have one thought though. Card one is a 65nm version. Cards two and three are both 55nm versions. Would this lead to the performance degradation?

Oh yeah, here she is :)

DSCN1122.jpg

Wow, as soon as I post that, it jumps up and is now doing almost 9k ppd. Wow, disregard for now I guess

edit- scratch that. It is now at 1/2 of what it should be :(

Last edited:
check the temps.. make sure its not over heating.. also load up GPU-z and see if its actually stuck in 2D mode or if its downclocking the card at all due to temps..

also check and make sure the priority levels are set correctly so that they are getting enough cpu usage.. try setting that top card to below normal instead of idle and see what happens..

I have them all set to High through WinAfc actually. Temps are as follows -

gpu1 - 53 - Running a 353pointer getting 4357ppd
gpu2 - 54 - Running a 1888pointer getting 7622ppd
gpu3 - 49 - Running a 1888pointer getting 7957ppd

I am using EVGA Precision and currently have all cards set to...

Core - 590
Shader - 1500
Memory - 999
Fan Speed - 75

set them all to idle and set gpu1 to below normal.. if you have them all set at high it could still be starving GPU1 for cpu cycles since i have noticed the 1888 pointers are a lot more picky about cpu usage then the others.. even if it still shows the cpu usage at 0%..

I will try that. I just did a driver re-installation and it seems to be working so I will check in the morning and if it is not, then I will try the priority changes you mentioned. Thanks for the help!

I had the same issue with one of my boxen as well when I first assembled it, and a fresh driver reload fixed my issue. I pulled everything out (all three cards) and reseated them as well, but if memory serves me correct I don't think that was the cure.

Just curious, what kind of MB / chipset are you running them on?

Never had an issue luke that on my 3ways, but I always be sure to install new drivers after I put in all 3 cards. I know some people just setup with one card, then toss in the others, that's about all I could think of
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

It is all set on a p6n diamond. I have made no changes since last night and it is now doing it on card two :(. I have to leave for a while, but when I return, I will clear the drivers and load 191.07 again.

Hmm, got anythng that uses hardware excel running? I've had issues like this when running pandora, which uses hardware
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

No, nothing like that. all that I have loaded is Avira Antivirus, F@H, and my wireless usb program.

Try stopping one of the other clients and see if the one that's having problems goes up in PPD.

I am reloading drivers right now and after that I will try zero's suggestion and give an update

Well, all was well for an hour or so as they were all folding upwards of 8200ppd. Now the 2nd card is performing at half speed though. This is after a driver reload :(

open up the config for each client.. under the advanced tab what do you have the core priority set at?

I suspect the cards clockspeeds are fluctuating.

Open up the monitoring graphs in EVGA Precision and monitor for changes

BTW I use Everest to monitor temps and clockspeeds. very handy for my 3x gtx275 rig

Well, all three are on 353 pointers going at 8970ppd. I want to see what happens when one gets a 1888 and it looks like i might get a chance as one just finished its 353. Crossing my fingers.

edit- false alarm. another 353

Yup, thats what it looks like. The not so fun part is that Processor Lasso doesnt seem to initiate what I tell it until I redo it. For instance; I opened it up and all fahcore_11.exe's were set to one core and to idle(although I have them checked to not lock). I have a rule in PL that says to set them to both cores and a rule that has them set to high. But as soon as I go and look at the rules, it starts working.

Sweet, just got an 1888pointer. Lets see what happens. I expect a drop ofcourse, but not a 50% drop.

edit- all three are on 1888's now and going at about 7500ppd. Still had to tell process lasso whats what when they started though

Last edited:
If Process Lasso isn't working out for you, give Bill2's Process Manager a shot. It's what I use on my main rig and it's been working flawlessly for me.

I tried that before process lasso. I am hoping that it only does this the first time that they load. I will know for sure in the morning when I am on new WU's. If it comes down to it, I will just leave PL and give Bill2's/winafc another shot

This is beginning to be really frustrating. Woke up this morning and I have the following...

First 384pointer @ 3770ppd
Second 384pointer @ 7899ppd
Third 787pointer @ 8499ppd

Did you ever try stopping one of the clients to see if the problematic one starts running faster?

Yup. Nothing happend. And most of the time my cpu usage is sitting at 1 or 2% :(

Going to try rivatuner just incase they are going into 2d mode

I am 75% sure that the problem was they were going into 2d mode. Just popped open rivatuner and although precision had them set in 3d mode, card 1 was in 2d mode. Just restarted and I will update this with what happens.

I am 75% sure that the problem was they were going into 2d mode. Just popped open rivatuner and although precision had them set in 3d mode, card 1 was in 2d mode. Just restarted and I will update this with what happens.

Any luck using Rivartuner ?

are your card overclocked?

I suspect you have something crossed up in the installation.

Make sure you have three folders in your \App Data\Roaming\ folder, each for one GPU.
make sure each of your shortcuts have the "start in" box set to the correct above-mentioned folder
and make sure each shortcut is set for a different GPU, starting with 0, then 1 and 2

Yea, Rivatuner helped. Precision was not setting the cards correctly but rivatuner is doing just fine. Sitting at about 26k ppd from these three alone :)

Yea, Rivatuner helped. Precision was not setting the cards correctly but rivatuner is doing just fine. Sitting at about 26k ppd from these three alone :)

Cool, I loaded it up last night and will watch the box and see how it does. Thanks for the update.

Nice, I am only getting about 22k from my 3 way of old 260's, Ill have to retry in XP and throw the shader clocks higher and cross my fingers

Fyi - they are all 216sp 260's set to 1500 for the shaders. Didnt want to push it too far as its in a basement on the other side of town so if something happens to it.........

make sure you have the screensaver disabled :)
also do not leave the computer a the login prompt as the login screensaver will kick in and mess you up.

It stays logged in 24\7 with no screensaver activated. I also edited the registry so it logs into my administrator account by default with my password so when it restarts I dont even have to touch it :)

Back