Tried to upgrade bios, now my mobo is bricked.

Cornflake

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

Long story short, I attempted to upgrade the BIOS of my motherboard to use a newer Athlon X2 processor and it failed. I made a bootable USB key, used the included flash program and did the flash in DOS. Get this: It said the update / flash had completed successfully but upon reboot my system won't POST. I tried removing CMOS batter for 20 minutes and clearing CMOS with the jumper pin, but doesn't change the results. It won't do anything more than give power to my drives, so trying to get it to recover from the floppy was futile. I won't even get a signal to my monitor at all. Ie: It's completely bricked and it has no "BootBlock" or other recovery means.

And, since my BIOS is soldered onto the motherboard, I cannot order a replacement chip. I just spent the last hour calling every PC repair shop near my area that Google could find (It's a little hit and miss, I think there's more out there but the answer will probably be the same). Almost every one of them knew what I walk talking about, but said they can't [and don't know of anyone who can] directly flash a BIOS chip, or remove it from the board to flash it.

So that's it? No one in the greater Denver area has the tools necessary to desolder and flash a BIOS chip? What if we didn't have China or Taiwan to rely on? I bet I could buy an EEPROM burner on eBay and flash the chip myself! This is a freaking joke!

Let this be a warning that flashes can fail for no reason, and your only option is to wait for weeks to send your motherboard to Taiwan just so they can pop a new chip on in thirty seconds!

Thanks for listening to me vent. I'd love to hear any failed BIOS stories you have to share too. Oh and don't be hesitant to mention if you can flash BIOS chips and happen to live in Denver! :rolleyes:

i have a failed bios flash story. i tried to flash my asus p5k board shortly after i got it. my mistake was that i trused the asus windows flash utility. the utility stopped working right in the middle of the flash, bricked my system. i was so pissed. i had my system less than a week and it was bricked. two days after i had my bad flash asus pulled the windows flash utility (wonder why?). moral of the story? DON'T EVER FLASH IN WINDOWS!!! i learned the had way. i had to go back to my 939 x2 4400 system, i felt like crying. it took asus about a month to get my board back to me. when i got the board back i was so nervous about flashing again. i did end up flashing it, but i used a cd instead to that asus windows flash utility. i wonder if they still have that utility on their website?

the utility isnt on their site anymore

i had to go back to my 939 x2 4400 system, i felt like crying. it took asus about a month to get my board back to me.

Yeah, right now I'm looking at probably a month (at least) to have it RMA'd to them. And can you imagine how I feel, I'm having to use my Pentium 4 2.9GHz laptop right now with a mobility radeon X600! :cool:

P.S. My board is a Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4.

it was the longest month of my life!! i just got a new q6600, 4gb ram, i was pumped. when i had to go back to the 939 system, it was a sad day at my house. i had a q6600 and 4gb of ram sitting on my desk and i couldnt use it. man it sucked balls!!

i tried to flash mine and same happened. an old p5ld2 that i was flashing so i could install my e6600. not a big deal, except i have to wait a week for a new bios chip, and they charged me $15 for shipping.

I've been flashing BIOS like crazy almost every single day without a single problem. Been doing that for close to fifteen years now. Not a single miscuse...Used to do it in Windows then read too many horror stories of people getting toasted in there so now I only do it via DOS or the BIOS' EZ Flash...

sucks when your mobo can only flash from cd or floppy or windows and you dont have a cd or floppy drive. :mad:

I killed a DFI mobo on the first day I got it by a "successful" flash in dos.

A failed bios flash that succeded bricked my abit AX78 bios chip ,like a week after abit closed there us service center,luckily i found a guy on ebay(bios depot)bought a pre flashed bios chip for 12.99 ,after a hot flash my board is running in the family room pc and i have a spare bios chip.

Well shit guys,

I was gonna flash my abit BIOS this week or next using DOS, but after these stories, I've become disinterested now.

Been updating BIOSes since I was a kid with a 286 LX 16mhz haha. I can only recall one failure way back when with some no name mobo which I wasn't surpised failed. Also have been doing windows flashing ever since it got popular. I guess I should be knocking on some wood right now...

Back