Trouble setting up the NetRAID-4M card.

Blitzrommel

2[H]4U
All six of my 18GB dirves are on a single channel since that's how the hotswap bay is set up in the NetServer LC2000r... But, documentation for the NetRAID 4m says one cannot make containers out of drives on a shared channel. So how the hell do I initialize these disks? lol

Please, someone help here. :)

Bump.

Someone's gotta know how to set this up. Ambit, I'm looking in your general direction. :)

I've got some LC2000R's, and some NetRAID 4's.

Once you're in the card's BIOS, do you have the array created with the drives you want?

Then in the root menu, hit enter on 'initalize'
Hit the space bar on the array you want to init.
Then hit F10 to start it.

Is that what you need?

[edit]
Ohh i see...
You're trying to create 2 arrays out of the 6 disks. But the card won't let you because it's in the same chanell?
Shouldn't be a problem.
I've done:

RAID1 boot on ID 0,1
RAID1 data on ID 2,3.
on 6000R's and LH4's.

RAID1 boot on ID 0,1
RAID5 data on ID 2-5.
on LH4's.

All on the same channel. Should be fine?

Here's the thing -- I have six of them, all on channel 0. In the Initialize... menu where the drives show up, I can't select any of them (Where it says you can highlight them using the Insert key). It does show the six drives though. I'm just trying to create one six-drive RAID-5 array.

I'll do this tomorrow at work and write it down step-by-step.

Are you trying to init them before you create the array?
I usually create the array, then init it. Not individual drives.

highlight w/ the insert key? I usually use the space bar. Makes them white instead of grey. :confused:

The drives were kind of a magenta color.

When I try to create an array, it tells me that I have no initialized drives.

Ok,
Just messed around with a 6000R and a 2000R.
The 6000R has a dual chanel NetRAID U2W controller, the 2000R has a single U2W. I think they're both NetRAID 2's :(

To setup the array:
Ctrl+M @ POST.
Configure -> Clear Config (don't have to, but i like to remove array settings before creating a new one)
then New Config -> Proceed -> Yes. Card should scan the channels and report back on the drives it finds.
Press the space bar by the drives you want, they should blink.
Hit enter when you've selected your drives.
F10 -> Choose RAID level. Accept -> Enter -> Save.

Initalize -> Space bar by array to init.
F10 -> Yes
Reboot
While i was in there messing around i realized i can't initaltize physical drives. Only logical drives. So i'm not sure what you mean, maybe it's something these controllers can't do?
You can format physical drives through the - Format menu.
But i've never initialized drives before adding them to the array.

I think i have a NetRAID 3 @ home, i'll fire up the Lh4 tonight and check it./

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem these cards are similar in terms of interface.

When I enter the BIOS (Ctrl+A at the card's POST) and try to select a container, it tells me I have none. When I go to make a container, it tells me I have "one or more uninitialized drives, blah blah". When I go to initialize drives, they all show up on channel 0. But, they're all in a magenta/lavender color and I can't select them. So that's the problem in more detail.

Ohh.. NetRAID4's are adaptec based, not LSI like everyone else's are now :D
Can't help ya, i stay away from Adaptec for RAID.

Back