TSA and Graphics Cards

MFDOOM1

Limp Gawd
Well people it looks like TSA has done some damage. Turns out that you cant put your graphics card through an x-ray machine because it simply makes it go nuts. My 8800GTX is dying, lots of artifacts and continuing. However the good thing is that i called EVGA and im getting an RMA on the card. I was told that i would get a gtx 260, which i think is awesome but you never know. So the point of this is simply that x-rays and computers dont mix well.

Any of you have experienced this before?

I doubt it. I can name all sorts of electronic devices that don't fail under a normal X-ray machine, including laptop versions of the 8800 chip.

I would imagine that if the trip really did break the card, it was due to poor handling during your trip, either by you or an agent.

Simply not true. I've taken laptops, my old 6800gt, n64, etc... all through airport xrays with no damage incurred.

I can think of no way that X-rays would harm a silicon chip. Admittedly I'm not a physicist, but I'm not exactly untrained in that area either. I suppose I can check with our chip fab, but I am 99.999% certain that X-rays are harmless to chips.

You have to remember that millions of laptops per year are X-rayed, and they aren't failing because of it. It isn't as though laptops are hardened against X-rays either.

Remember: Correlation does not imply causation. That your card was X-rayed and then it failed does not mean the X-rays caused the failure. The two are unrelated.

my gaming laptop with dual 8800M GTX has been through the X-ray machine two times and it still works fine.

seems to me that it probably was not the x-ray and could have been ESD. Its weird though because that's what a rep stated. Nevertheless, do you guys think it i will get a GTX 260 or a GTX 280?

I am calling EVGA and advising them to stop the RMA ASAP! I am also going to report you to the Department of Homeland Security for attempted fraud against our government in the war on terror . . .shame on you . . .

I am calling EVGA and advising them to stop the RMA ASAP! I am also going to report you to the Department of Homeland Security for attempted fraud against our government in the war on terror . . .shame on you . . .
LOL! you should have seen what did they did to my carry on, they tore it apart literally! They checked it for explosives; first the hard drive then my entire bag. Definitely shame on me.

Back