TSMC Employees Experiencing Problems in Arizona

erek

[H]F Junkie
TSMC Employees the targets of local youths. they want the techno geeks & gals outta there

"The latest news from Arizona points to problems encountered at the so-called "TSMC Village" - actually two residential locations divided into "A" and "B" categories. Taiwan's Economic Daily released a video report late last month covering crime-related incidents - this information has since been picked up by Western news outlets. Perpetrators have targeted houses and cars within these new build communities - UDN's footage indicates that seven vehicles located in Village A were damaged with a portion of them broken into. A single Village B property was accessed by possible squatters, and an unspecified number of TSMC engineers have been "robbed" throughout May. Several residents were contacted by UDN - interviewees expressed frustrations with the lack of security in the area, and blamed a local management company for not bolstering prevention measures."

1686091096665.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/309696/tsmc-employees-experiencing-problems-in-arizona

I have read people talking about not being in the US was often because it would be hard to find american for those jobs with those schedule and what not.

But it seem to be different story going on and breaking the windows in the back of the door is it not a classic way to steal what is possibly in the trunk ? (if people steal stuff, razor occam would tell us to stay open that it is simply people wanting to have that stuff and not some anti company message, who after getting angry at a Target national corporation would go break the cars of simple employee of a branch that do not have even the logo on it)

Last edited:
I have read people talking about not being in the US was often because it would be hard to find american for those jobs with those schedule and what not.

But it seem to be different story going on and breaking the windows in the back of the door is it not a classic way to steal what is possibly in the trunk ?
possibly some high end golfy clubs and stuff?

Taylor Mades?

Same deal with CA and much of the west. UT and ID are probably exceptions.
ID's only the exception because everyone's too broke to have anything worth stealing, lol. but no it's not the exception, the media there just hides it so that they can seem like they're better than washington and california.

but this is arizona in a nutshell. you wanted cheap taxes, guess what the trade off is..

But it seem to be different story going on and breaking the windows in the back of the door is it not a classic way to steal what is possibly in the trunk ?
there's a multitude of reasons to shatter the back window.. 1. noise(windows under less stress) 2. it's easier to break 3. you don't have to sit on glass while digging through the center console/glove box.

ID's only the exception because everyone's too broke to have anything worth stealing, lol. but no it's not the exception, the media there just hides it so that they can seem like they're better than washington and california.

ID consistently ranks as one of the lowest in the nation for violent crime and homicide, and I assume that also applies to property crimes. I doubt there is some type of cover up.

but this is arizona in a nutshell. you wanted cheap taxes, guess what the trade off is..

And I doubt it has anything to do with taxes. People don't say "I am paying a lower income tax rate, now I'll smash some car windows". Arizona has a high crime rate due to its location and demographics. Same deal with California, Nevada, Texas and New Mexico. But this isn't really a tech discussion so I'll stop commenting here.

If TSMC is going to build a "company town", then they need to shoulder the responsibilities, including public safety. Different in AZ vs Tiawan.

If TSMC is going to build a "company town", then they need to shoulder the responsibilities, including public safety. Different in AZ vs Tiawan.
Maybe I'm Canadian and therefore think differently, but is this shit not the responsibility of local government and elected leaders. This company is going to provide a ton of jobs...

Maybe I'm Canadian and therefore think differently, but is this shit not the responsibility of local government and elected leaders. This company is going to provide a ton of jobs...

"TSMC Village" - actually two residential locations divided into "A" and "B"
It sounds like these residences were built by TSMC for employees. It's not clear if this is in an existing town.

So there's no law outside of "existing towns" in AZ?
In a word, no.

There's probably a county sheriff's office that has the same resources and staffing as before, i.e. not enough to patrol a new residential development.

I don't know how things are in Canada, but in much of the U.S. property crimes aren't investigated; file a report on the phone or online then file an insurance claim with the report number. Even if a perp is arrested, tried, and convicted the most likely outcome is probation.

If TSMC is going to build a "company town", then they need to shoulder the responsibilities, including public safety
Wait. Are you saying, that it's the private companies' responsibility to provide public security and safety? What are people paying taxes for then?

Wait. Are you saying, that it's the private companies' responsibility to provide public security and safety? What are people paying taxes for then?

I looked up Arizona. Income taxes go toward state government. State sales tax rate goes toward more state government.

County sales tax goes toward County government which includes a small sheriff's office that won't have staffing to act anything like a municipal police force.

So municipal sales and property taxes go toward funding the local police force and city government.

Municipal sales and property taxes will only occur if you live in the city limits of an incorporated municipality. If TSMC has opted to build their facility and housing outside of existing municipalities, then there will not be a municipal tax levied on the residence, but there will also not be a municipal police force or school system. There is often a county school system or a grouping of small communities that build one school to service all of them. However, again TSMC operating outside of a municipality would have to contractually work that out (and that is making the big assumption that TSMC employees would want to send their children to an American school system where often actual education is lost to the social dujour programs being pushed on the students.

So if we surmise TSMC employees living in the company town want to handle education on their own (to keep their children familiar with Taiwan's customs and perspective on education), then we are left with mostly just a police force problem. Sheriff's office isn't meant to or staffed /funded for managing a municipal sized population from the county level government. So TSMC needs to figure out how to service that function in the community they built.

I looked up Arizona. Income taxes go toward state government. State sales tax rate goes toward more state government.

County sales tax goes toward County government which includes a small sheriff's office that won't have staffing to act anything like a municipal police force.

So municipal sales and property taxes go toward funding the local police force and city government.

Municipal sales and property taxes will only occur if you live in the city limits of an incorporated municipality. If TSMC has opted to build their facility and housing outside of existing municipalities, then there will not be a municipal tax levied on the residence, but there will also not be a municipal police force or school system. There is often a county school system or a grouping of small communities that build one school to service all of them. However, again TSMC operating outside of a municipality would have to contractually work that out (and that is making the big assumption that TSMC employees would want to send their children to an American school system where often actual education is lost to the social dujour programs being pushed on the students.

So if we surmise TSMC employees living in the company town want to handle education on their own (to keep their children familiar with Taiwan's customs and perspective on education), then we are left with mostly just a police force problem. Sheriff's office isn't meant to or staffed /funded for managing a municipal sized population from the county level government. So TSMC needs to figure out how to service that function in the community they built.

TSMC Boss Responds to Reports of Brutal Corporate Culture

by T0@st Today, 13:08 Discuss (25 Comments)
Mark Liu, the executive Chairman of TSMC, has responded to recent reports released by the North American media about supposedly challenging workplace conditions. Current and former employees of the company's U.S operation have taken anonymously to Glassdoor to complain about "brutal" treatment on behalf of TSMC leadership—resulting in a 27% overall approval rating, which sits unfavorably next to the scores of nearby competitors—for example Intel gets 85%, albeit from far more user submissions. Liu has made comments to a Taiwanese news outlet (Focus Taiwan) where he suggests that: "those who are unwilling to take shifts should not enter the industry, since this field isn't just about lucrative wages but rather a passion for (semiconductors)."

TSMC is trying to meet staffing targets for its Phoenix, Arizona operation, but early feedback and difficult residential living could stifle this recruitment drive. Liu thinks that his North American division will offer potential employees a workplace culture that is unlike the one set for crew back in Taiwan. He told the local reporter that American TSMC team members will have an easier time, relative to how things are run at the company's native facilities. He also states that leadership is open to discussions with NA workers, as long as company values are followed (to a tee).

Sounds like I would rather work at Intel than TSMC. hmmm wonder if. . .

Reactions: erek
like this

TSMC Boss Responds to Reports of Brutal Corporate Culture

by T0@st Today, 13:08 Discuss (25 Comments)
Mark Liu, the executive Chairman of TSMC, has responded to recent reports released by the North American media about supposedly challenging workplace conditions. Current and former employees of the company's U.S operation have taken anonymously to Glassdoor to complain about "brutal" treatment on behalf of TSMC leadership—resulting in a 27% overall approval rating, which sits unfavorably next to the scores of nearby competitors—for example Intel gets 85%, albeit from far more user submissions. Liu has made comments to a Taiwanese news outlet (Focus Taiwan) where he suggests that: "those who are unwilling to take shifts should not enter the industry, since this field isn't just about lucrative wages but rather a passion for (semiconductors)."

TSMC is trying to meet staffing targets for its Phoenix, Arizona operation, but early feedback and difficult residential living could stifle this recruitment drive. Liu thinks that his North American division will offer potential employees a workplace culture that is unlike the one set for crew back in Taiwan. He told the local reporter that American TSMC team members will have an easier time, relative to how things are run at the company's native facilities. He also states that leadership is open to discussions with NA workers, as long as company values are followed (to a tee).

Something a lot of people forget, in Japan, South Korea and I assume Taiwan work culture is fairly involved. People are very over worked and stressed there. Long hours are common. It isn't like Europe where the culture is generally more relaxed, generous vacation time is provided and people are perfectly happy with taking every single vacation day they can. The USA sits somewhere between the two. If TSMC is running things like an Asian business I expect turnover rate to be high. I believe Japan has had success with companies like Playstation/Nintendo American divisions because they essentially let them do their own thing. Very different industry from games and consumer tech but TSMC may have to consider shaping the culture of their facilities to better match what you find in the US.

Back