Ubuntu Troubles

YARDofSTUF

[H]ard|Gawd
2 systems, 2 different issues

System 1 is the oen in my sig, x64 version of ubuntu, it will not see my raid array, areca's site lists linux drivers, but none for ubuntu.

System 2, P4C 2.6, Ubuntu doesnt see it as a HT chip, at least I dont think so, because in its system monitor it only looks like its seeing one, but it amy work differently than i'm use to, so how do I ensure that it sees the virtual cpu as well?

Also on system 2, when I DL F@H linux client it doesnt recognize it as a program and gives the error "cant display location" I have it in the /home/username/folding folder.

for system 2, are you using the SMP kernel?

YARDofSTUF said:
2 systems, 2 different issues

System 1 is the oen in my sig, x64 version of ubuntu, it will not see my raid array, areca's site lists linux drivers, but none for ubuntu.

System 2, P4C 2.6, Ubuntu doesnt see it as a HT chip, at least I dont think so, because in its system monitor it only looks like its seeing one, but it amy work differently than i'm use to, so how do I ensure that it sees the virtual cpu as well?

Also on system 2, when I DL F@H linux client it doesnt recognize it as a program and gives the error "cant display location" I have it in the /home/username/folding folder.

Whatsisname said:
for system 2, are you using the SMP kernel?

I did the basic install, cd booted, I hit enter, never got asked which kernel.

Edit: When it loads grub I have 2.6.12-10 and 2.6.12-9, both 386 for choices, been using the 10 one.

All debian distros install a single cpu kernel off the bat in a base install. You need to install the -smp kernel for your system to get it to see it as two.

apt-cache search kernel-image | grep smp
...should get you close.

deuce868 said:
All debian distros install a single cpu kernel off the bat in a base install. You need to install the -smp kernel for your system to get it to see it as two.

apt-cache search kernel-image | grep smp
...should get you close.

I forgot to mention im a retard!

Uh can I type that in terminal? or where?

thanks.

yes type that in the terminal

or press CTRL-ALT-F1 to goto the first virtual terminal (ALT-F7 to get back to desktop)

ok I type that in and get nothing, I hit enter and just drops me to another line with "username@ubuntu:~$"

just do

apt-cache search smp

find the kernel image, install it with apt-get install

kernel image packages are named "linux-image-xxxxx" instead of kernel image like the other guy said.

Whatsisname said:
just do

apt-cache search smp

kernel image packages are named "linux-image-xxxxx" instead of kernel image like the other guy said.

Ok theres a big list, linux-image-686-smp looks like what i want. "Linux Kernel Image on PPro/Celly/P2/P3/P4

how do I install that? apt-get install linux-image-686-smp [enter]?

EDIT, tried it the way I typed it, get an error " E: could not open lock file /car/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 permission denied)
E: unable to lock the list directory

Whatsisname said:
you need to run apt-get as superuser, use sudo

How? I tried "root" and "sudo" for user names, and i only made one password and that doesnt work for them.

EDIT: got it, sudo as a command, looks like its installing, thanks!

Now what about F@H?

"sudo apt-get install linux-image-686-smp" for example. It will ask for a password, use your own password.

As far as the RAID array is concerned, does it see the drives and not the array?

Whatsisname said:
just do

apt-cache search smp

Oh sorry, I forgot they were named linux-image in Ubuntu whereas they are kernel-image in the base debian. :(

Thanks guys!

Its cool, much zippier now that it sees the HT core, got folding working, i forgot about doing the chmod +x junk.

Aptget says my firefox 1.0.7 is the lastest, and ubuntu isnt liking what i've tried for installing the tarball lol

./firefox

./firefox-bin

I just get shared files/folders errors.

Ubuntu 5.10 uses FireFox 1.0.7. It also use it for a bunch of embeded stuff like help pages. So, just installing the newer version isn't as easy as "apt-get"ing it. The Linux package that is on the Mozilla.com site doesn't need to be "installed". You just extract it and execute "firefox". You could use that for browsing and leave the integrated 1.0.7 alone. There is a guide to upgrading to 1.5.x in the Ubuntu forums. Also, there is a script that could help you upgade as well. Your last option is to use Dapper Drake which comes with 1.5. I would get you links, but the forums are taking forever to pull up.

MorfiusX said:
Ubuntu 5.10 uses FireFox 1.0.7. It also use it for a bunch of embeded stuff like help pages. So, just installing the newer version isn't as easy as "apt-get"ing it. The Linux package that is on the Mozilla.com site doesn't need to be "installed". You just extract it and execute "firefox". You could use that for browsing and leave the integrated 1.0.7 alone. There is a guide to upgrading to 1.5.x in the Ubuntu forums. Also, there is a script that could help you upgade as well. Your last option is to use Dapper Drake which comes with 1.5. I would get you links, but the forums are taking forever to pull up.

Thanks.

Its a cruel world! LOL

I gave up on Ubuntu and tried out slackware, 10.2 back to single cpu recognition lol

YARDofSTUF said:
Its a cruel world! LOL

I gave up on Ubuntu and tried out slackware, 10.2 back to single cpu recognition lol

Bah thats not the linux way
:D

but seriously it shouldn't be that hard, what are you struggling with?

deuce868 said:

small note:

So far both flights 5 and 6 of dapper drake (amd64) installed corectly the smp kernel for my X2 right off the bat. So I guess canonical changed that debian policy in their distro for now.

eeyrjmr said:
Bah thats not the linux way
:D

but seriously it shouldn't be that hard, what are you struggling with?

It was pissing me off, got the kernel, then to install firefox it was a bunch of hoops cuz its like integrated or some crap, hell in suse I downlaoded it and extracted, no trouble, suse also installed teh smp kernel for me right off the bat.

I didnt like the filebrowser, but i've discovered thats not ubuntu, its gnome, why can't it have an address bar? lol

Then I tried to install F@H, figured out I was an idiot again, got it going and ID1 went to CPU1 and ID2 went to CPU0, thats a little backwards, so I decided to try slack.

Holy F***! Slack looks cool, but the noob guide on linuxquestions.org was not NOOB enough for me, becasue I need to compile the kernel for sata and smp, and I got stuck at the begining trying to figure out how to save changes in pico. LOL

So while I wait for help on that, I decided that since ubuntu is debian based, and the last time I tried debian my video driver wouldnt load, that maybe now it would! Well after 2 hours of trying every possible driver combo(ok not all, but alot) the damn thign would not find it, so I threw an ati 9200 or something in and debian was cool with that!

So, now I'm sitting with debian on the desktop, trying to figure out exaclty what ati card i have, and how to make my account sudo worthy to debian, or how to log out and in to root, so that I can install the smp kernel, and then hopefully an ati driver to allow a higer res than 800x600.

I've installed linux so many times in the past 16 houras on this drive that at one point the drive didnt know what was up, first time I booted to slackware I had a SUSE slapsh screen, then got the slackware desktop. lol

Suse is my easy way into linux, right off an install it sets everything up perfect. Yast is pretty cool too, but I'd liek to learn apt-get and stuff and see what else is out there to compare performance wise.

Ubuntu was slow, then once i got smp going it was much better, slackware only seeing 1 cpu was pretty fast, bout the speed of ubuntu with smp, so that looks promising. suse kde was slow, but gnome seems to be in the ubuntu/slackware range, but i had slackware running kde(ddint see a gnome option)

And that brings you up to date!

Cliff notes:
I'm impacient and between 2 forums probably have the info to fix 90% of my issues to ubuntu and slackware except I keep changing distros. LOL

EDIT: using the ctrl + Alt + F1 I logged in, getting the smp kernel now, woohoo!

Neutrino said:
small note:

So far both flights 5 and 6 of dapper drake (amd64) installed corectly the smp kernel for my X2 right off the bat. So I guess canonical changed that debian policy in their distro for now.

Dapper Drake is ubuntu? and that has FF 1.5 right?

YARDofSTUF said:
Dapper Drake is ubuntu? and that has FF 1.5 right?

yes it is the codename for the next Ubuntu release and yes it has FF1.5. Be aware its not the final release and its still under developement. I found it quite stable however.

here is the link for it:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing

btw I know some hardcore linux guys will probably disagree with me on this one, but don't be shy in using synaptic (the graphical interface for apt-get). IMO it makes some things easier than using comand line.

For example in synaptic enabling the proprietary and unsuported repositories universe and multiverse (which you will certainly want) is as simple as checking a few boxes.

After you enable those extra repositories just do a search for "ati" or whatever in synaptic and it should list a few options with descriptions. In there you should find the ati drivers (if available of course) you can then install them in comand line or by selecting them in synaptic (pretty much the same thing really).

after you install the ati drivers if the settings still don't allow you to run the intended rez you'll have to manully edit the xorg config file. It will be in etc/x11

sudo gedit path/filename should do it (requires "sudo" aka pseudo root priviledges so you cannot just right click edit)

just make sure your monitor's suported rez and refresh rates are correct. in my case the config file already had the correct refresh rates so all i had to add under 24 (bit colors) was "1600X1200" which is my lcd's native rez. Restart and 1600X1200 became available under the settings.

Btw more instructions you can find here:
http://www.ubuntuguide.org/

its for brezzy badger but many comands do apply to dapper.

Neutrino said:
yes it is the codename for the next Ubuntu release and yes it has FF1.5. Be aware its not the final release and its still under developement. I found it quite stable however.

here is the link for it:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing

btw I know some hardcore linux guys will probably disagree with me on this one, but don't be shy in using synaptic (the graphical interface for apt-get). IMO it makes some things easier than using comand line.

For example in synaptic enabling the proprietary and unsuported repositories universe and multiverse (which you will certainly want) is as simple as checking a few boxes.

After you enable those extra repositories just do a search for "ati" or whatever in synaptic and it should list a few options with descriptions. In there you should find the ati drivers (if available of course) you can then install them in comand line or by selecting them in synaptic (pretty much the same thing really).

after you install the ati drivers if the settings still don't allow you to run the intended rez you'll have to manully edit the xorg config file. It will be in etc/x11

sudo gedit path/filename should do it (requires "sudo" aka pseudo root priviledges so you cannot just right click edit)

just make sure your monitor's suported rez and refresh rates are correct. in my case the config file already had the correct refresh rates so all i had to add under 24 (bit colors) was "1600X1200" which is my lcd's native rez. Restart and 1600X1200 became available under the settings.

Btw more instructions you can find here:
http://www.ubuntuguide.org/

its for brezzy badger but many comands do apply to dapper.

Woa! Theres a graphical interface for apt-get, thats awesome! Where do I get synaptic, or is it installed already, or a ubuntu only feature?

YARDofSTUF said:
Suse is my easy way into linux, right off an install it sets everything up perfect. Yast is pretty cool too, but I'd liek to learn apt-get and stuff and see what else is out there to compare performance wise.
If you want to work with apt-get/synaptic but stick with SuSE; then you should look at APT for SuSE. I've been running SuSE 9.2 for quite a while now but I've been using APT to update KDE to the lastest/greatest. :)

Back