Undervolting GPU

Phixzet

Limp Gawd
I have an MSI Gaming X Trio 1080ti.

MSI Afterburner, even after allowing voltage control - will not let me undervolt.

It's currently showing 1012mV, and the voltage slider is all the way to the left.

Any options to undervolt, or is that voltage really as low as I could go without having routine lockups?

With nvidia, you don't really have to mess with the voltage controls. Just lower the power target and it will lower the core voltage automatically.

put the following in your Batch / start file

"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" -pl 180 where 180 is the watts you want the card to sit at.

issue "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" in an admin command prompt to see where the card currently sits.

i recommend you open a file window to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\ and change the settings for all users so that nvidia-smi is always run as an admin. if you do not run the command via admin you will not be able to set the power.

I'm guessing the above will reduce power and clock, not just voltage?

(The power slider in Afterburner can be moved so I could just do that, but again was hoping to keep frequency where it is.)

if the card is running that voltage automatically it's likely it needs that voltage to push that clock speed.

Nvidia cards are pretty good at matching needed volts to clock speed requirements, at least in my experience

Reactions: Parja
like this
1 - apply OC (clock and mem) via MSI
2 - launch start mining file with my command entry above.
3 - profit

only thing the -pl switch does is limit the power level

3 - profit

Ok boss I'll give it a shot :)

I should probably research a bit to see what good OC settings are for my video card...

3 - profit

For a single card, no need to be using nvsmi for setting power limit. Just set the power limit percentage in afterburner.

For a single card, no need to be using nvsmi for setting power limit. Just set the power limit percentage in afterburner.

see OP's original posting. MSI is not handling it for him. i have the same issue. which is why i do it this way... even with afterburnter settings i ran nvidia-smi and found the card was still taking up to much power. just my $0.02. Cutting costs matters when mining. why you would just blindly trust a single app without using another to confirm if beyond me.

Phixzet my bad if i came across harsh.

Wow. Big difference. Same or better hash rate, with um maybe 100w less power?

Oh and the (near) silence. Bliss. (This card is already really quiet)

Oh no, did not read you as harsh. At all.

I'll probably try using Afterburner to limit upon next reboot, just for kicks.

Reducing Voltage is doable, just not in a straightforward manner.
Bump the core overclock up, while turning the power limiter down.
Hoping to produce the same clock at lower voltage, but I'm of the
impression that NVidia's default Volts are almost too low anyhow.

Also CTRL+F in AB if you want to manually edit the curve.
I rarely ever use that method, but it exists....

see OP's original posting. MSI is not handling it for him. i have the same issue. which is why i do it this way... even with afterburnter settings i ran nvidia-smi and found the card was still taking up to much power. just my $0.02. Cutting costs matters when mining. why you would just blindly trust a single app without using another to confirm if beyond me.

Phixzet my bad if i came across harsh.

He was trying to adjust voltage, not power level. If you're determined to run at a particular Wattage, sure, go ahead and verify percentage to Wattage with nvsmi. But no need to use two tools when one will do the job.

He was trying to adjust voltage, not power level. If you're determined to run at a particular Wattage, sure, go ahead and verify percentage to Wattage with nvsmi. But no need to use two tools when one will do the job.

Unfortunately AB isn't working to limit power.

I tuned it to 65%, which is the same as 180W I think... Didn't do anything really once mining started. HWINFO still shows 277W.

Unfortunately AB isn't working to limit power.

I tuned it to 65%, which is the same as 180W I think... Didn't do anything really once mining started. HWINFO still shows 277W.

same issue as me which is why i use nvidia-smi. happy mining!

put the following in your Batch / start file

"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" -pl 180 where 180 is the watts you want the card to sit at.

issue "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" in an admin command prompt to see where the card currently sits.

i recommend you open a file window to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\ and change the settings for all users so that nvidia-smi is always run as an admin. if you do not run the command via admin you will not be able to set the power.

Can you point me in the right direction so as the card is defaulted to 180w by default? I mean if I put it in my startup folder, it won't run as an admin without confirmation... Win10 isn't exactly convenient with respect to running things as admin without that prompt.

Any wisdom for me? Thanks :)

Can you point me in the right direction so as the card is defaulted to 180w by default? I mean if I put it in my startup folder, it won't run as an admin without confirmation... Win10 isn't exactly convenient with respect to running things as admin without that prompt.

Any wisdom for me? Thanks :)

none sadly. if you figure it out LMK

It's possible to do with a "services" hack. I'll have to go that route I guess... I'll look it up later. Will try to respond. Thanks!

Back