Unlocked 4th core. Stable

Owskie

Limp Gawd
So my dilema is.

3.7Ghz at 3 cores at 45 Celcius

or 3.0Ghz at 4 cores at 45 Celcius?

Depends on what you use it for.
If you can have dual bios boot set up then I think 3.7 will be best for gaming and 3Ghz with 4 cores COULD be better with programs able to use all cores...you need to test on your own I am afraid.

Working on it. Running OCCT at 3.2Ghz. Not sure how high I will get it. Hitting about 47 degrees Celcius right now on full load. Not sure how hot I want to let this thing get.

I would not worry about temps as long as they are no higher than 55C or so, in fact anything under 60 should be fine.

you should get about 3.6ghz stable on all 4 cores.. might be able to hit 3.7ghz.. but 3.6 seems to be about the wall for that processor with the 4th core unlocked.. your temps are perfectly fine.. as long as they stay under 62C full load.. you will never see the same temps you see in OCCT with every day applications..

Stable at 3.6 so far. Can't hit 3.7 but I havent touched anything but the multiplier and vcore yet.

It's hitting 60 degree's CPU temp, which means my core's are about 50 degrees.

multiplier and voltage is all ya need to mess with.. whats your vcore at right now?

not bad then.. still got a little room to go higher.. recommended max is 1.55v from AMD.. though you should be able to hit 3.8ghz at that voltage.. hell you should be able to hit 3.8ghz at a lower voltage then that but just depends on the cooling you are using..

cooler master 212, stock fans, no extra

cant get to 3.8 with just the multiplier and vcore

cooler master 212, stock fans, no extra

cant get to 3.8 with just the multiplier and vcore

not bad at all.. very doubtful you will hit 4ghz.. but from that point id work on seeing how low you could get the voltage while keeping it stable.. i still think you should be able to get the voltage lower then 1.5v..

Well, I just started learning about OC'ing. So I have only touched the VCore and Multiplier. Not sure what else I can do or how to do it. That is the lowest with just those that I can keep 3.7 stable.

yeah i figured it would hit a wall right around 3.6/3.7ghz.. but thats still not a bad overclock with the 4th core unlocked.. thats the great thing about black edition processors.. they are insanely user friendly when they come to overclocking.. the only reason to mess with anything else is because you want the best synthetic benchmark scores.. in the real world raising the NB to 2500mhz does squat.. raising the hypertransport to 2500mhz does squat..

when/how will messing with the northbridge/hypertransport affect real-world performance? what program types, what range of time (0.0X, 0.00X, 0.000X, ect.), range of multi-tasking, stuff like that. I've seen a lot of people and documents say that it's unnoticeable for real-world applications, but no info behind what it actually does affect (other than improving component comm.).

I reformated my hard drive today, seems my PC is going slower than it was. Still OC'ed. Click one something and its showing up later than it should... or was before the reformat.

did you install windows with it overclocked?

the only thing you would see northbridge/hypertransport showing any peformance gain in is synthetic benchmarks.. real world there is no difference.. now if you were running say to 5970's in the rig and running a game that actually took advantage of dual x16 slots then raising the hypertransport would have a slight effect since it would increase the amount of bandwidth between the pci-e slots and the cpu.. but since there are no games that actually take advantage of it you wouldnt notice anything..

if its still laggy.. try putting it stock.. install windows and then do the overclock again and see what happens..

Back