Unlocking 6800 pipelines with RivaTuner

[Summary mode on]

- card is a BFG 6800nu OC
- unlocks to 16p 6v no glitches on a fresh XP install (always test on a new install)
^ this means the card is fine at 16x6
- installing RivaTuner and enabling the NVstrap driver (NO tweaking) on my main (not fresh) XP install is fine
- turning on the "enable HW masked units" option in NVstrap is fine
- changing NVstrap from VGA BIOS default units to "custom" BUT NOT ENABLING ANY EXTRA PIPES crashes XP during boot.

I have to safe mode uninstall rivatuner to get the system to boot again. Thing is, I had it work once on this XP install when i tried 16x5. I changed it to 16x6 and rebooted and it crashed so I figured the vertex unit was busted, but I can't get it to work anymore even at 12x5 with the NVstrap enabled. Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there any way to completely remove all traces of RivaTuner (specifically NVstrap) so I can start over?

This is really annoying! I have a 6800 that fully unlocks but I can't use the extra pipes because my XP install crashes when I do, and I don't want to reinstall it. And it worked once!

^ Possibly solved my own problem. Uninstalled RivaTuner, searched registry for any occurances of "RivaTuner" or "NVstrap" and erased them. Reinstalled, unlocked pipes, and we're good to go (so far).

This is a VERY low level driver, and even the slightest misconfiguration can cause havok. Be warned.

I just want to clarify something here real quick before I try this on my box...

If this doesnt work, what do I do? Say I unlock it, reboot, but the card goes nuts and windows is unuseable--what would I do? How do I back this off again if things are messed? I'd assume that if windows is useable you can just undo the changes is RivaTuner--but what if Windows isn't useable?

Anything else I should know before I start?

Back