Unreal Engine 3 at GDC

Cool, I bet that cigarette falling through the air looks lush, especially if they've nailed the wispy smoke effect that Metro 2033 does quite well.

I thought UT3 presented the Unreal Engine 3. Or was UT3 on the 2.5 engine?

Is there a description of what these screenshots are, other then "Unreal Engine #3"? I mean, are these new features, is this a particular game, etc...?

Was this stuff actually running real-time, or is it a "this is what we think we'll be able to do on next-gen hardware" projection? I thought I read that somewhere.

I would love it if they released/leaked that tech demo for some benching

I thought UT3 presented the Unreal Engine 3. Or was UT3 on the 2.5 engine?

Yeah, same thought here when I saw the title.

I've always thought we're already on Unreal Engine 3 :confused:

I've always thought we're already on Unreal Engine 3 :confused:
I believe the current version is technically UE3.5, but Epic has been continuously adding features and making improvements to the engine since it came out, so what's available now is quite a bit more advanced than the first version that came out years ago.

It is still Unreal 3 (obviously the actual version number is higher however), they are however likely demoing the newest version they will incorporate into GOW 3. Unreal 3 was designed to be scalable upwards (rendering component). Same with the Source engine, which will look different in Portal 2 compared to when Half-Life 2 was first released.

They need to tessellate those ears.

a1psev.jpg

so what are they calling this? 3.5 is already taken and old by this standard. aww sweet behold the next gen power of unreal engine 3.9821.

i want to see deck 16

just a word of warning

It looks amazing, but so did the initial UE3 screenshots... and we all know those didn't very well represent what was about to come out... i mean, UT3 looked like dinty more fest, not the ultra sharp detailed atmospheric screenies they had been teasing us with...

Unrealistic garbage. With the price of cigarettes, nobody would throw not one, but TWO of them out. I don't buy it.

Doesn't matter how good this looks. These advancements will be wasted until the next consoles come out. Epic wouldn't dare use graphical enhancements that would benefit PC users only these days.

Doesn't matter how good this looks. These advancements will be wasted until the next consoles come out. Epic wouldn't dare use graphical enhancements that would benefit PC users only these days.

Exactly, they may render this on high-end PC hardware, but we won't see this on our PCs until the damned next-gen consoles eventually come out, if even that. Epic doesn't give a SHIT about PC gamers anymore, far cry from what they used to be before. My SLI GTX 480s will be just tapping their feet (I kinda regret getting them to upgrade from my GTX 285), mostly putting up with console ports until the next gen consoles come out, the consoles are holding the PC back and its frustrating how wide the gap is between consoles and PCs at this point and further growing and we have to suffer. :mad:

I'm more excited about the rpgs/mmorpgs in the future that will use this engine.

Most of the features from their GDC demo last year are in Bulletstorm this year, and features this year will be in the UDK by next month, so it's only up to developers to go ahead and use it....

This gen is just starting to get good. 4 more years! 4 more years! :D

Oh hell the **** no. We need new consoles right away, the 360 and PS3 are so outdated at this point in time. Besides, you can have the consoles co-exist, the PS2 is still in production for instance.

Oh hell the **** no. We need new consoles right away, the 360 and PS3 are so outdated at this point in time. Besides, you can have the consoles co-exist, the PS2 is still in production for instance.

Yeah but nothing comes out for it. The last PS2 game was God of War 2 pretty much. Everything else is shovel ware and rightfully so.

I don't want a new console gen, I can't afford it. Games look pretty damn good already imo.

Back