Updating BIOS. How-To? I know... noob.

CLock3

Gawd
Alright, so I was looking to update my BIOS, but I want to know the best way to go about doing it. I've got an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe. ASUS offers a program that does it supposedly, but those kind of scare me, since I have no idea how stable of a program it is, and I don't want to risk killing my board. Not to mention I've seen people mention that it's not a good idea doing it within windows. I've downloaded the latest BIOS version for my board from the Asus site, and it's a .rom file. How would I go about updating the BIOS? Also, I don't have a floppy drive, which I know is a popular method. Thanks in advance.

ask a friend to help you.

popping your bios flashing cherry by yourself the first time is.... mmm... not recommended.

The first thing you should always do is check your manufacture's website and see if you have the latest BIOS. Generally your manufacture also has instructions on how to update your BIOS. If you do not have a floppy drive, a very popular method is to create a bootable usb drive. I do not remember exactly how to do so, though I am in the processes of updating my BIOS again ( I did it before but I forgot) so if I can remember, ill post instructions though googling "bootable usb" results in alot of relevant sites.

But before you do anything, like Hooligan said, if you have a friend that could help you, I highly recommend you get help from him. Flashing your BIOS isn't exactly the hardest thing in the world if you have a cheap, easy to replace motherboard, but if you have an expensive one, the thought of losing it is much greater.

Avoiding the windows based bios update is a very good idea. Your manual should have instructions for the floppy/usb drive method. I imagine there is no huge hurry so unless there is some compelling reason dont get in a rush and investigate until you understand exactly what you need to do. A floppy drive is like $9 + shipping and you can just open the side panel, plug it in, make sure the FDC (floppy drive controller) is enabled in the bios and do your flash. Unplug and put in drawer till next time. If you really want to get fancy get an usb external floppy.

Its really not hard, you just want to make double damn sure you have the correct file for your EXACT motherboard and follow the ASUS instructions to the letter.

Awesome, thanks a bunch for the advice everyone. I appreciate it. Also, one thing I was going to mention, once you update your BIOS, there's no way it will revert back to an older version is there? I ask this because way way back when my computer was an alienware, there was a problem with it, and they walked me through updating it using a CD IIRC. Anyways, last night I was having some problems getting my computer to boot after switching to my new case, and I finally got it going, and I got a "CMOS Checksum Bad" message, so I went in to adjust the settings again and for some reason the BIOS seems different. Sounds weird I'm sure, but it is. For one, I set it up so that it requires a password to get into the bios setup, and suddenly, the password I was using is too long. And some of the options appear to be different, so I'm not sure what happened.

So I had a couple floppy drives sitting around and I figured I would hook one up to see, and they're giving me some problems now. I tried two different drives, and both do the same thing. The drive is recognized by XP fine, but when I put a floppy disk in the drive, it won't recognize it. It gives me the message saying "No disk in drive". I've tried multiple disks as well. Just does not want to work for me.

I just built my rig last night and used Biostar's Windows bios update tool. Worked perfectly.

So I had a couple floppy drives sitting around and I figured I would hook one up to see, and they're giving me some problems now. I tried two different drives, and both do the same thing. The drive is recognized by XP fine, but when I put a floppy disk in the drive, it won't recognize it. It gives me the message saying "No disk in drive". I've tried multiple disks as well. Just does not want to work for me.

make sure that in addition to enabling the floppy drive controller the "type" of floppy is also set in the bios, normally that is on a different page in the bios.

It could very well be that both floppie drives are bad but that would be a very very odd thing. It they worked before (know good at the time they went in the drawer) I think there is another bios setting you missed. Its possible they are both bad but look hard at the bios setting first there should be 2 places, enable floppy drive controller and another place where you tell the bios it is a 1.44MB drive type.

Back