Upgrade before LGA 2011

MFDOOM1

Limp Gawd
I know that the next high level upgrade for intel is not coming for another year and half, but I have the fortunate chance of getting a qx6850 cpu for 200 dollars, I do play games and I plan upgrading to a 30" monitor instead of getting a new computer. Do you think its worth it for me to buy the processor and wait for another year and half or take the dive and buy a new computer. Keep in mind I'm still using a e6850 on an evga 680i motherboard. :D

I know that the next high level upgrade for intel is not coming for another year and half, but I have the fortunate chance of getting a qx6850 cpu for 200 dollars, I do play games and I plan upgrading to a 30" monitor instead of getting a new computer. Do you think its worth it for me to buy the processor and wait for another year and half or take the dive and buy a new computer. Keep in mind I'm still using a e6850 on an evga 680i motherboard. :D

I don't think it'd be worth the money. If I recall, the 680i motherboards can't take 45nm Intel quad-cores correct? Frankly, I'd just save my money and build a brand new rig rather than continue spending money on it. Current quads clock higher, are cooler, use less power and are cheaper than the QX6850. If you absolutely must keep the 680i, you could probably get a G0 Q6600 on the For Sale sub-forum for far less than $200 and it'd perform just as well.

If I recall, the 680i motherboards can't take 45nm Intel quad-cores correct?
You are correct. So in other words OP, you're basically looking at a new system since that QX6850 will not work with your motherboard.

The QX6850 is Kentsfield, which is 65nm I believe.

That is correct.

According to this http://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/ you can run a QX6850 on a 680i. I did some searching and it looked like people had issues running them though. You should look more into it to make sure there won't be any problems.

Will be a nice boost over that E6850, but if you don't mind overclocking a Q6600 wouldn't be half bad. Anyway even if you get it, the cpu will be a good hold over till next gen at least.

Thanks for the info, I was not aware on the issues for the QX6850 the q6600 does sound a little more appealing right now. but got to admit the price for the QX6850 sounds so good. If you were in my situation would you take the 30" monitor, specifically the HP ZR30W or a new computer, tough choice huh. I am upgradin my graphics card and going sli, since playing games at the resolution is hardcore, the new processor would help tremendously if I am right. If you have any more info please let me know.

Back