Upgrade from Korean 1440p

SilverSliver

[H]F Junkie
I'm considering upgrading from my Qnix 27. Monitor is relatively fine, but it's delaminating on the top edge and that has really irritated me. I don't want another Korean monitor. 1440p is my minimum, as is 27 inch. Primary use is gaming, but not competitively in any sense of the word.

I don't have the horsepower to drive 120hz so that's sort of a moot point for me. I'm focused on image quality, build quality and size. I would have an easier time justifying the upgrade if I was getting more image real estate moving up to a 30 or 32 inch screen.

My advice would be to wait. There are a number of monitors coming out in the next couple months that will be 4k @ 32". You could try the BenQ 32" 2560 x 1440 option or the LG 34".

I thought the general consensus was that 32 inches or less was too small to really make use of 4k?

My advice would be to wait. There are a number of monitors coming out in the next couple months that will be 4k @ 32". You could try the BenQ 32" 2560 x 1440 option or the LG 34".

why do people want to buy 4k monitors for gaming though? Personally I dont have thousands of dollars to buy video cards to play at that resolution. 980 is finally good enough for me to max games at 1440.

why do people want to buy 4k monitors for gaming though?

Because they think higher # automatically=better image quality, which is false. The affordable 4K monitors use grainy matte TN panels (most of which have 2 frame delays, but are being recommended over delay free, overclock-able 1440p IPS/PLS which cost half as much) which combined with scaling issues can negate the sharpness benefits 4K an offer, just like the even grainier matte coatings the 30" 1600p used to use.

Yeah I have the glass one. That looks a little intimidating but I will give it a shot.

Do it, glass ruins monitors and removing the bezel is easy. Your Qnix will look like the NEC on the right if it is not glossy.

Because they think higher # automatically=better image quality, which is false. The affordable 4K monitors use grainy matte TN panels (most of which have 2 frame delays, but are being recommended over delay free, overclock-able 1440p IPS/PLS which cost half as much) which combined with scaling issues negates the sharpness benefits 4K an offer, just like the even grainier matte coatings the 30" 1600p used to use.

Do it, glass ruins monitors and removing the bezel is easy. Your Qnix will look like the NEC on the right if it is not glossy.

Yeah I was a little miffed I got the glass one but the seller greensum kept insisting "glass = glossy" - which was not true at all but the monitor had no dead pixels, almost no blb and overclocked to 115hz easily. Wasn't worth sending back.

Just saved me a few hundred bones. Got home, unscrewed the back and popped the bezel off. The glass was not even close to being centered. The 'delamination' was actually the formally transparent glue strip turned yellow that was sitting OVER the top part of the screen. Only 50% of the sticky tape was actually holding the screen on. 30 seconds with a razor blade and the glass came off easy peasy.

Thanks!

Glue job below

6AFzNh9l.jpg

if0J8c4l.jpg

This thread ended like it should have.

The Qnix/X-star (glass-less) is one of the best monitors around, period. There really isn't an upgrade.

For the love of god people, stop buying new LCD's. This is the only way we will see OLED, etc, come to market.
What incentive do the mfr's have for new tech if people keep running around going "OMFG I WANT TO UPGRADE MY CRAPPY LCD FOR A SLIGHTLY LESS CRAPPY LCD I CAN SPEND $800"

Back