Upgrading Processor - 6860!

I'd been in dilemma when I was ordering my laptop with exact CPU option between 2.4 Ghz vs. 2.5Ghz. Except L2 cache (3MB vs. 6MB), I believe they are identical.
FPS won't boost because that, IMHO, or correct me.
Plus, what Vista really like is RAM. Get 4GB (2 sticks) and install 64 bit OS to utilize full amount of those.

I put a t9300 in mine. the extra cache hides the memory latency so you do see improvements in video performance becasue of it. I don't remember my scores but I saw a 3dmark06 improvment and my vista score went to 5.1 from 4.6. So the 6mb of cache helps with anything memory related so it'll boost processing and video performance.

But I can't saw if its enough of a diffrence to justify the cost diffrence.

I just accuired a 6860 and it came with a T5550 1.83 Gig. but Im looking for something faster... somwhere on the net it said you could get a X9xxx processor for it... but I cannot find that again... either that of just go with a t8300 or t9300. any info on the X9xxx procs?;) would be greatly appriciated

well. I just ordered a X7900 2.8 gig from taiwan... will update you if I get ripped off, or if I made a steal for 235$ they said it was a ES version! and gave me the chip model. under intel it is the final version of the x7900 just before retail... now I have to check for an update to the bios to my 6860!

The only (real) issue with ES versions is that unless they are the final ES version they don't have a temp sensor. This means the fans will not scale according to your temps.

The X7800 is a better bang for the buck although even OC'd at 2.8Ghz the performance is only roughly equivalent to the t9300, except it runs hotter. I've seen a few posts on the web that point to this, it's obviously not from MY experience.

Also, my understanding is that between the t9300 and t8300 you'll probably only be able to tell a difference in benchmarks.

that chip will work in that laptop, will help out big time. Enjoy!

I just got my X7900 2.8 Gig W/ 4 Meg and installed it in the 6860 and it brought my windows score up from 4.5 that was my memory... 4 gigs, up to a 5.0 and my processor that was a 4.8 up to a 5.5! this is coming from a T5550 1.83! it is a bit warmer, but it was hot before. and with the added second 350 Gig, I think I have the la[top of my dreams!:cool:

Back