upgrading vista 32 premium to 64 bit ultimate

Cirkustanz

Limp Gawd
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the upgrade process from one version of Vista to another is pretty seemless. The situation is that I finally got around to loading vista on my home machine, since it took me this long to aquire a free, legal license. (free meaning it was part of the retail edge bundle)

Originally, they said they were going to ship the 32 and the 64 bit versions. They did not. We can not upgrade our NFR keys into 64 bit keys either. :(

It's a temporary thing, and for right now I'm not especially worried about it. When I actually do my rebuild, I'll be re-installing from scratch anyways.

However, I will likely be getting an ultimate 64 license here pretty soon, and I will want to use that as soon as I can. Even before I can build the new kit. I usually keep an archive of whatever apps or drivers I have downloaded on a new install, to have them all ready for when I need them next. (it's easier for me to check for updates than it is to rememebr where in the world I got everything)

In this case, there are 32 bit, as well as 64 bit drivers of the majority of the ones I am downloading. However, what happens when a person is making a 32 to 64 bit change in vista? The drivers are a lot different, and I have to wonder what kind of experience the upgrade in OS will be like at that point.

For what it's worth I have been using it on my work computers since the day of launch, but the real test is on a personal machine. I'm pretty happy with it so far. The "now-playing" gadget is great, and media center actually makes me want to get a tv tuner. The only gripe I have is that LG has not released a vista driver for my chocolate. (8550)

My gut is telling me that I will want to do a clean install when I switch from 32premium to ultimate64. But I literally spent 6 hours yesterday getting everything setup, and it would be really nice if from here on out it would not be time consuming.

You can't actually upgrade from x86 to x64. That will require a full install, so you'll be loading the correct drivers anyway.

You can't actually upgrade from x86 to x64. That will require a full install, so you'll be loading the correct drivers anyway.

++++ Yep!

You can upgrade between different versions of Vista of the same architecture (so you could go Home Premium -> Ultimate if they're both x86, but you can not migrate from an x86 to x64 version).

I was afraid of that, but it makes perfect sense.

Oh well!

I'm not going to bother doing any more configuration then. It's not worth it .

Back