USB sound card or internal?

Damar

Supreme [H]ardness
As this is something I've no knowledge of I figure I'd ask the experts around here.

The onboard sound in one of the PC's here has started the whole "crackle, static, snap pop" routine. Its annoying to say the least and though I'd love to put an actual sound card in the box, I'm tempted at the moment to just grab a USB one to tide things over rather than pull the case out of where it is to get access to the motherboard.

I've got a pair of USB headphones and those work fine with no static or noise, so I figure I'm safe with a USB sound card.

I need to power a set of Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers, I don't need any other features or fancy things really.

My other option is to just bite the bullet and buy a good quality sound card and rip the machine out and work on it over a weekend. My fear is that without being able to isolate the initial cause of the static problem that I may end up with the same issue even with an add in card. Audio is not my strong point, so I'm unsure if this is a valid concern. There's just too much conflicting info on the net from what I've read so far on the net.

So... suggestions? Money isn't an issue, I just need something to drive those speakers for gaming, music and movies and I don't mind paying for quality components.

Both can have their own issues and ultimately I'd say that neither is better than the other. Internal cards are directly susceptible from noise from the power supply and other components and even RFI. USB devices can still be affected by the PSU of your PC, can still be affected by RFI, and sometimes have their own power supply which can also generate noise and/or a ground loop.

USB devices are probably less susceptible to a low-quality or otherwise noisy PSU in your PC, but not problem-free.

Gaming or Music oriented? Depends on what you're looking to do. Usually for gaming, i recommend an internal sound card (but not onboard). It reduces the "noise" but tends to handle the gaming audio better.

If you're going for music, I'd say get an Optical or Coax out DAC or a USB sound card/DAC.

Have you switched the speaker system to a different computer to verify the noise is coming from the computer instead of the amp/speaker parts?

If you just need basic sound, get a USB set for now and you can always add a true sound card later at a more time friendly moment.

Have you switched the speaker system to a different computer to verify the noise is coming from the computer instead of the amp/speaker parts?

If you just need basic sound, get a USB set for now and you can always add a true sound card later at a more time friendly moment.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I connected the speakers to my phone and played several movies and mp3's without any static or crackling. I was hoping in a way it was the speakers, easier to swap out, though not cheap.

I'm leaning towards a USB one just because the USB headphones I have work fine, I just don't like having to use them all the time. Plus I could always use a USB one on my laptop if I ever get it up and running on the side here again.

Thanks for the replies. I'll likely hit up Amazon tomorrow and see what they have in stock that's decent for the time being in a USB model.

The FiiO e07k is pretty solid and affordable. I used one for quite some time and had zero complaints.

Back