User vs Device CALs

Jay_2

2[H]4U
I am wondering if its best to go with per user or per device with 2003 server CALs (not TS CALs)

The client has about 30 servers and maybe about 500 staff, they are generally 1 member of staff to 1 computer but there are some hotdesk setups (not many)

What do you guys think?

How many workstations? Any other end user devices that access server-based resources ( phones, ipads and such )?

Add everyone up, then go with the lesser of the two options. Generically, the user cal route is often cheaper ( most companies I've worked for have more devices than users ), but it's variable enough that it's not a hard and fast rule.

yes we do have ipad, phones etc but we also have a citrix farm for about 30 concurrent users

yes we do have ipad, phones etc but we also have a citrix farm for about 30 concurrent users
Ah, that changes the landscape a bit. You'll need CALs for those devices/users too ( as well as TS/RDP cals, but that's outside the scope of the thread ).

Any device/user that accesses resources on your servers need a cal.

yes we have about 100 CALs for the TS (some idiot set it up as per device, what an expensive mistake)

I think per user is how I will go here. Thanks

yes we have about 100 CALs for the TS (some idiot set it up as per device, what an expensive mistake)
Just to address any searches that kick this up; Up to at least 2008 R2, always use User mode licensing in TS/RDP. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS.

Why? Because device license mode is enforced, whereas user mode is not. Not advocating you short your licenses on purpose, but it's far easier to administrate licenses AND servers when you are not under threat of locking out users.

Not that it probably will change your mind but you can switch from device -> user as a one time switch. You cannot go the other way.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785300(v=ws.10).aspx

Until recently, I might have queried the premise that most organisations will have more devices than users - depends on the company type for me (manufacturing that isn't true in my experience due to the number of shared PC's for shift working) but the event of the BYOD etc means it has switched the other way for sure (a little offset by the rise in shared devices for job sharing).

Having said all that cr&p, its probably better to go the user route.

Back