Verizon FIOS Internet Service

Scheizekopf

[H]ard|Gawd
I heard about the new Verizon fiber DSL called FIOS like 6 months ago and forgot all about it until yesterday.

I'm really ready for this to be available in my area. As soon as this is available I'm all over the 15Mbps/2Mbps.

------------------------------------------------------------
Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps* --- $39.95/mo

Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps* --- $49.95/mo

Up to 30 Mbps/5 Mbps* --- $199.95/mo

------------------------------------------------------------

Does anybody have this yet or know anybody that has it?

ahhhhhh, the internet..............

the only negative is that you HAVE to use thier routers.

shaihulud said:
the only negative is that you HAVE to use thier routers.
Are you sure? They say they give you a router but doesnt say that you have to use theirs. You can use any for DSL. . . . I thought :confused:

since when is a router 'for xyz' type of broadband? this is news to me. ;)
So far, I've used my DI-614+ on 3 types of broadband...

"Your router also contains special diagnostic software that can help us trouble shoot and correct problems should you experience trouble with your Internet connection."

I can diagnose and troubleshoot my own problems if there are any.

"You will need to use the Verizon provided routers with the Fios Internet service."

Damn. That sucks.
I'm sure you could get away with using your own router.

25. Can I use my DSL Modem, Router, or Cable Modem with my Verizon Fios Internet Service?

No, at this time you need to use a broadband router specifically provided by Verizon that has been approved to work specifically with Verizon Fios Internet Service. Your router also contains special diagnostic software that can help us troubleshoot and correct problems should you experience trouble with your Internet connection.

It's kind of hard to believe you cant use your own stuff.

Scheizekopf said:
25. Can I use my DSL Modem, Router, or Cable Modem with my Verizon Fios Internet Service?

No, at this time you need to use a broadband router specifically provided by Verizon that has been approved to work specifically with Verizon Fios Internet Service. Your router also contains special diagnostic software that can help us troubleshoot and correct problems should you experience trouble with your Internet connection.

It's kind of hard to believe you cant use your own stuff.

If you want some real answers to it you should get in contact with one of the Fios users that currently exist in limited areas. It is possible that you need their router. They say they run Cat5 straight from their thing to your router, so it might have something special that needs a MAC address for authentication. I agree though, I bet there is a way around it.

I wonder if their device consists of some type of modem and router in one device..

What's stopping you from plugging your router/smoothie/whatever into the router they provide you and then continuing on as usual? I wouldn't think there'd be anything aside from possibly having to use a crossover cable. Then again who knows, perhaps the router they give you isn't all that bad. =)

SSpiro said:
I wonder if their device consists of some type of modem and router in one device..

That's what I suspect as well, but we don't have to guess, there are actual customers of the FIOS out there, and a couple that are on this forum too...

i wish it was in my area. if it comes to where my college is i am going to subscribe for my dorm

wow I am paying $50 a month now for 3Mbit/256Kbit. Uhm sure I want to upgrade but then I would never get anything done ;) Hard enough to get stuff done with a 3Mbit.

I should be able to get more done with a faster connection but i just goof off too much. Well nice, we can stream all sorts of goodies with a 15 Mbit.

I'm not suprised at all that they would force you to use their own routers.

With the amount of bandwidth availible to these users for the price they are probably going to shut down specific ports, etc. They want to be able to control this on their end as well as your end.

You are of course going to be able to use your own router in the effect that if you want to share your internet connection you can.

This is just my assumption - not based on facts at all.

aphex187 said:
I'm not suprised at all that they would force you to use their own routers.

With the amount of bandwidth availible to these users for the price they are probably going to shut down specific ports, etc. They want to be able to control this on their end as well as your end.

You are of course going to be able to use your own router in the effect that if you want to share your internet connection you can.

This is just my assumption - not based on facts at all.

Yeah, that would be my assumption as well. Of course, they could easily shut down the ports on their end so it wouldn't be a problem. They can also monitor bandwidth use. Anything that goes through your end must go through their end as well so it actually makes sense to just do it at their end.

Orinthical said:
What's stopping you from plugging your router/smoothie/whatever into the router they provide you and then continuing on as usual? I wouldn't think there'd be anything aside from possibly having to use a crossover cable. Then again who knows, perhaps the router they give you isn't all that bad. =)

+PPPoE? Anyone?

Lemme talk to some of our wireline techs here. We've just started a pilot FIOS-type service to some subdivisions with the company I work for. They usally have some detailed knowledge on what VZN is doing since everyone copies everyone else....

If its a specialized interface like a T1 or something, you just need a router with that type of interface. If you get a cat-5 interface from their box, you can use anything, it will just take work to fake it.

I'd hope that that their router would just act as a bridge between you and their network, as opposed to something like PPPoE.

your also dealing with fiber optics.. anyone know if they actually pull the fiber into your house? if they did, that could be a definate reason for having to use their equipment.

Veeb0rg said:
your also dealing with fiber optics.. anyone know if they actually pull the fiber into your house? if they did, that could be a definate reason for having to use their equipment.

Their FAQ that was linked earlier on this thread says that there is a Cat5e connection between their stuff and the router they give you.

Back