Verizon to Offer Symmetrical FiOS

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
All of you avid downloaders are going to drool once you read about Verizon’s upcoming symmetrical FiOS service.

The groundbreaking new service -- delivered straight to customers' homes on the nation's most-advanced all-digital, all-fiber network -- is the first of its kind commercially available to U.S. consumers on a mass scale. It is available, starting today, in parts of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. Verizon plans to offer similar symmetrical services soon in the 13 other states where the company offers FiOS Internet service, and to introduce a similar small-business offer.

Blame DragonNOA on this one

How would this be used for anything but Bit-Torrent?

push = suck = TEOTWAWKI

about time, too

can't get here, the midwest, soon enough

How exactly does symmetrical service help an "avid downloader"? It would certainly help and avid uploader.

It is too bad that Fios only serves such a tiny part of the population and that some people will never see the service due to the area they live in being regarded as not being profitable enough to deploy. Fios is certainly the dream service that consumers who want broadband crave.

I am a registered Republican but I split with my party on the subject of Broadband. We need a National Broadband Plan for more people to receive services like Fios or the equivalent to be competitive Internationally once again.

How exactly does symmetrical service help an "avid downloader"? It would certainly help and avid uploader.

It is too bad that Fios only serves such a tiny part of the population and that some people will never see the service due to the area they live in being regarded as not being profitable enough to deploy. Fios is certainly the dream service that consumers who want broadband crave.

I am a registered Republican but I split with my party on the subject of Broadband. We need a National Broadband Plan for more people to receive services like Fios or the equivalent to be competitive Internationally once again.

Because the speed of P2P downloads is based on other's uploads. On a torrent with 1000 people, most will have ~1Mbit up. If you suddenly ad 200 people with 15Mbit up you've just increased the net speed of the torrent by 20%.

Besides, those of us using private trackers need to maintain our ratios.

With those speeds you could run a game server form your home easily, or if your a avid Wow player you could host the Vent/TS server very easily.
How much does FiOS cost currently, I know they have it in my city but I have never checked availability at my home? Also how are ping times?

fios packet is 5megs/2megs is $35 and 15/2 is 45.I have 15/2.If the server you are downing from bandwith is big enough, then my 15/2 tops out at 1.86mbs/sec.Crysis was downloaded in 15mins.;)

With those speeds you could run a game server form your home easily, or if your a avid Wow player you could host the Vent/TS server very easily.
How much does FiOS cost currently, I know they have it in my city but I have never checked availability at my home? Also how are ping times?
It does take a bit of bandwidth to do a gameserver, but not nearly as much that would be provided by FIOS. Usually 1mbps upload is about all you need, maybe less for certain games. However that kind of bandwidth would still be welcome, especially if you have a bunch of mods for everyone to download.

I can't wait until Verizon FIOS comes to Kansas City. I'm not an avid downloader/uploader, nor do I run gameservers on a consistent basis. But if I see a better value, I will switch in a heartbeat. Competition is always good, especially in the stale American broadband market. Being severely behind the rest of the world in broadband because of older infrastructure and less competition is pathetic.

Meh...

VM are trialing 100mb broadband. Blow your stupid little American network away. :D

(well okay, we might not get 100mb up.)

I fear that FIOS will not reach Miami anytime soon. I mean, you dig a hole here and water comes out for Gods sake. But well, lets have faith.

What good is it to most of us?You can't even get a rough estimate from Verizon when FiOS will be available in your area.And their DSL service gets slower and worse every day.
About ready to make the switch to cable.

I'm currently using the 8mbit/768kbit tier from Comcast with powerboost and I can register speeds on Speakeasy.net @ 30mbit down 1.5mbit up. I have no problem paying 15-20 dollars more per month for 20mbit/20mbit service as long as it is consistent. This is what we need. This move by Verizon is really pushing the industry forward. Unfortunately in Atlanta we do not get FiOS.

Meh...

VM are trialing 100mb broadband. Blow your stupid little American network away. :D

I'd be careful opening up that can of worms, mate....seriously.

One nice thing about my relocation to Vancouver is that my condo tower and most other towers in the downtown area are serviced by Novus Communications. Fiber to the building, CAT-5 at the wall.

I've got a 30mb symetrical pipe here (could bump it up to a 70mb if I wanted), which does not suck, and does not cost me a fortune, less than I used to pay Cox in San Diego for 5mb/256k and basic cable and all I need is a NIC, no problematic modems required. It's also kinda nice having a home connection that's faster than the fat pipe at work.

Granted, the best personal use for that much bandwidth is for torrents, but it's still very nice for other things, like an 8 minute download of the Crysis SP demo.

But that's really the only bright spot about living in Vancouver for me. :(

It's about dang time. I upload large files to my FTP, and it's freaking grueling, and I have a really fast upstream compared to most. The moment this is offered near me, I'm in.

Damnit!

Hurry and get it working in CA so I can decide where I want to move to! :D

Damn, I could so badly use that...setup 1 dedicated gaming server, and setup a dedicated web server or two...

Our cable sucks, 7Mbps down/512Kbps up. I am fine with the download speed, but I seriously need much more upload speed, especially so I don't spend 10 minutes with the server down uploading files. :(

Be funny if they pulled a comcast and prevented torrenting. It would be like that hell saying where you got every book, but broke your glasses.

Be funny if they pulled a comcast and prevented torrenting. It would be like that hell saying where you got every book, but broke your glasses.

Twilight Zone (original B&W series) episide. WWIII breaks out while booknerd is inside a massive library. It survives but when he emerges and sees the devastation he drops his glasses in shock.

Watch the episode...Burgess Merideth has awhile to realize he's now in his own personal paradise, no nagging boss, no demeaning job, just books books books, plenty of food and shelter...THEN he breaks his glasses.

Watch the episode...Burgess Merideth has awhile to realize he's now in his own personal paradise, no nagging boss, no demeaning job, just books books books, plenty of food and shelter...THEN he breaks his glasses.

Kinda like being stranded in the middle of the ocean, Dying of thirst!

As some of you have noticed from my postings in the gaming forums, I currently enjoy 20Mb/5Mb service from FIOS. I get pretty much the whole 20Mb at all times. I ran a download test using Giganews and my Newsleecher download graph never dipped below 2.4MB/sec over the course of 8 hours. I pretty much queued up everything I could and let it rip. So far no warnings of service suspension/cancellation and no artificial caps. They claim not to have any limits. I checked my history and I have transfers way over 150GB for some months and a few that are over 250GB. They may actually be telling the truth.

I'm going to upgrade tomorrow. I used to pay $64.99 for 12/1.5 service from Cable until earlier this year so $64.99 for 20Mb/20Mb is a no brainer. It really sucks that a lot of you won't be able to get this service.

Im so sick of the internet i have here... the fastest we can get is 6MBPS via ATT DSL or ATT Fiber. And they are really throttling that speed down and its frustrating simply because they dont offer the possibility of faster internet. Who wants to pay 65 dollars for a 38 dollar DSL service? i do not want!

Be funny if they pulled a comcast and prevented torrenting.
I don't think that will be the case for a while. I don't agree with Comcast's methods of dealing with the situation and I really wish providers in general would be upfront about service limitations and quit advertising services as being unlimited when it isn't. Unlimited is just that, NO LIMITS. However, as convenient as BitTorrent is depending on who is serving up the files in question, I don't think it's fair to subscribers if service is suffering due to other subscribers running the equivilant of 24/7 public file servers. They should have handled this better and been more up front about the limitation.

I think I'll give my FIOS TOS a good read and see if they have any language in there about transfer limits. I read it once and didn't see anything about transfers except the usual "We can disconnect you for any reason" crap. Sales, support and the really cool techs all say that there aren't any limitations or guidelines for abuse and one tech actually said that if there were a problem they would contact me and not just kick me off.

As some of you have noticed from my postings in the gaming forums, I currently enjoy 20Mb/5Mb service from FIOS. I get pretty much the whole 20Mb at all times. I ran a download test using Giganews and my Newsleecher download graph never dipped below 2.4MB/sec over the course of 8 hours. I pretty much queued up everything I could and let it rip. So far no warnings of service suspension/cancellation and no artificial caps. They claim not to have any limits. I checked my history and I have transfers way over 150GB for some months and a few that are over 250GB. They may actually be telling the truth.

I'm going to upgrade tomorrow. I used to pay $64.99 for 12/1.5 service from Cable until earlier this year so $64.99 for 20Mb/20Mb is a no brainer. It really sucks that a lot of you won't be able to get this service.

FiOS has great speeds but their router sucks donkey ass! I have to reset the damn thing every other day because it locks up! It locks up to the point where I can't even access the damn thing from any of my rigs!

FiOS has great speeds but their router sucks donkey ass! I have to reset the damn thing every other day because it locks up! It locks up to the point where I can't even access the damn thing from any of my rigs!
Damn, that sucks. You are using that ugly black ActionTec router right? Have you tried getting newer firmware from Verizon support (if they even offer it)?

I have my Vonage PAP, Windows Home Server, desktop, two laptops, WiFi enabled PocketPC, iPod touch and guest machines on my router constantly with plenty of activity and I have yet to run into any problems. I found the router to be pretty robust for something provided by and ISP. I only use two ports on the router itself. I like using gigabit so all of the computers hook up into a DLink gigabit switch which plugs into the ActionTec router. The Vonage PAP connects to the ActionTec router as well. It's got pretty good wireless range too.

Is your router getting enough air circulation? I found that the unit runs pretty hot so I have it on a shelf where it can get a decent amount of airflow around it.

I wish Verizon would spread more so I could get it.

Word. It's a slow and expensive rollout. I just hope it moves faster, my home purchasing depends on the area where this is availible.

Meh...

Please, Japan has you beat by 900mbit... they are already in the 1gbit range.... and lets not talk about sweden, where they are rolling out 40gbit to homes. :eek:

This is fantastic, I would kill for a internet connection like that. Heck, I'd kill for a standard DSL/Cable Connection.

I'm stuck on a wireless ISP. I get 960K/450K at the right times.

The closest city with FiOS is still 1hr South of me

and lets not talk about sweden, where they are rolling out 40gbit to homes. :eek:

Only to the homes of people whose immediate reaction isn't "I can seed every torrent in the world and single handedly eliminate the performance hit from most users having download >>> upload capacity". People who can actually use that sort of obscene bandwidth are going to have to wait a while.

Only to the homes of people whose immediate reaction isn't "I can seed every torrent in the world and single handedly eliminate the performance hit from most users having download >>> upload capacity". People who can actually use that sort of obscene bandwidth are going to have to wait a while.

lol

Well with FIOS I suppose this will be possible with them running fiber to the homes... one can only hope.

Damn, that sucks. You are using that ugly black ActionTec router right? Have you tried getting newer firmware from Verizon support (if they even offer it)?

I have my Vonage PAP, Windows Home Server, desktop, two laptops, WiFi enabled PocketPC, iPod touch and guest machines on my router constantly with plenty of activity and I have yet to run into any problems. I found the router to be pretty robust for something provided by and ISP. I only use two ports on the router itself. I like using gigabit so all of the computers hook up into a DLink gigabit switch which plugs into the ActionTec router. The Vonage PAP connects to the ActionTec router as well. It's got pretty good wireless range too.

Is your router getting enough air circulation? I found that the unit runs pretty hot so I have it on a shelf where it can get a decent amount of airflow around it.

I have 3 CAT5 lines and the Wii going right too it and it does get hot but it's right out in the open. I'm gonna have to make a call to verizon and get some tech support.

Back