Very Warm: Room Essentials L-Shape Computer Desk: $16

rjolin01

[H]ard|Gawd
I was at Target this evemomg with my girlfriend and we were browsing the store when I came accross an awesome deal. They had an aisle with some TV stands and computers desk marked down 75%. I saw the L-shape desk and looked closer at the clearance tag. Was: $64.00 Now:$16.00. Still $64.00 online but this is the desk: http://www.target.com/Room-Essentia...m_primary_color-bin,price,collection_name-bin
I have been in need of a new desk and was wanting to get an L-shaped one so I can have computer on one side and be able to do home work on the other. I wasnt sure of surface real estate but its big enough for my 24inch monitor and printer with room to spare. Only down side I have is that there is not a keyboard drawer. So my keyboard and mouse is right in front of my monitor. As with all B&M deals YMMV!

Last edited:
I had a similar desk but with the keyboard drawer and a computer stand off to the side. It was ok, but nothing spectacular. I wouldn't mind an L desk myself right now. Maybe I'll look into it again.

I wonder how the quality is. I've been using a crappy fold out table for years.

But, I worry because of weight also. I probably have 30-40lbs between my monitor/keyboard/speakers ontop, if not more.

I wonder how the quality is. I've been using a crappy fold out table for years.

But, I worry because of weight also. I probably have 30-40lbs between my monitor/keyboard/speakers ontop, if not more.

It's pretty solid. 50lbs shouldn't be a problem.

I have a 24" monitor, keyboard, speakers, all in one printer and my game collection on pretty much just half of mine and pretty solid. Well worth the $16. Not sure about the $64 original tho. Maybe $50.

Good to know that it's solid.

Think I can fit a 28inch lcd and keyboard on it? I guess I should have checked the dimensions.

It was last one at my store and I might have just been lucky. Going to otherside town Monday and can check there to see if they have same deals going on. Forgot to mention in OP that it was at the east Green Bay, WI store. As for the 28" monitor , width wise it should fit. My keyboard (Logitech G15 V2) is right at the front edge and the back touches the center channel speaker and that in turn touches the monitor base which is all the way back. Will try to get pictures posted when I get home and room cleaned from reorganizing. Little FYI, it is narrower and smaller than my brothers L-shaped desk he bought at Best Buy few years back for like $150.

It looks like its tempered glass which is much weaker towards the edges. Just some FYI if you are worried about weight. I have had tempered glass desk before and using my desk mounts for my monitors always made me nervous.

I wish they'd design a desk like that with some sort of hutch/shelves on top to hold papers and other materials.

I'm using a corner desk now with a built in hutch which gives me tons of storage. I'd love to go to an "L" shaped desk for more space, but all the good ones I've seen either don't have a hutch as an option, or are insanely priced if they do.

Glass/metal desks like this one look really nice too.

L desks are almost always either against a wall, in which case you could put up your own shelves on the wall or they are made to have an open side to talk to people/clients, so you wouldn't want a shelf in the way. Plus like I said tempered glass is weakest at the edges, which is where the weight from stuff on the shelf would be. It still can be done though since I built a shelf for the ikea tempered glass desk I had but had to attach everything to the frame.

Just picked one up, thanks OP. Going to assemble it soon, I'll let everyone know how it is.

I headed to target tonight to check if they had that desk there.

They didn't seem to have it. However, I did find one desk marked 75% off and ended up buying it.

Here is a link

http://www.target.com/Upton-Glass-Top-Desk-Espresso/dp/B001NPNIMS

It came to $35 with tax and I plan to set it up tomorrow. I'm pretty dang happy and should thank you. It seems these deals were items that are online only but somehow end up in stores.

Anyway, anyone looking for a desk etc may want to check target for the clearance deals.

whats your location so people know where to look if in your area.

I picked mine up in West Chester, OH, they had 1 left in stock after I got mine, although the box was pretty beat-up. Called Fairfield, OH they didn't have any.

Just set it up so as far as the desk goes, it's a little narrow for my liking, my screen is much closer to me now (although that might help me game, I guess we'll find out), but it is workable even with a gaming keyboard and mousepad, although the Logitech G-series keyboards are quite large due to their macro pad so they might not fit but I don't have one to test so I dunno.

As far as construction quality goes - pretty much par for Target, I have a TV stand that swivels and a 4 tier glass component shelf from them and it's pretty much standard cheap Chinese material aka everything is not going to fit snugly, but it works. (It's also $16 so anything better than garbage laid on the sidewalk is pretty much a deal in this case).

It looks like its tempered glass which is much weaker towards the edges. Just some FYI if you are worried about weight. I have had tempered glass desk before and using my desk mounts for my monitors always made me nervous.

can't believe you used mounts on tempered glass! :eek:

Pretty good find OP. I've been looking for a desk to replace mine.

i really really dislike glass-topped desks. and for that price, i'm assuming it'll be crap.

but for $16...i guess it's a deal?

My local Target said "Limited Availability" on the site which to me implies there's only one or two left. I looked all around the horribly laid out desks/tables/tv stands/hutches section for about 15 minutes and couldn't find one, but I also couldn't find a tag where one might have been which made me think it was never there to begin with. I described the desk to an employee and she said she'd never seen a desk like that for sale there. Kind of makes me wonder why Target said there was "Limited Availability".

Out of stock for most of DFW, TX. I'd spend16 bucks on this. I would have actually bought 2. One for my wife and one for me. Might have to head to the one local to me to see what they have.

can't believe you used mounts on tempered glass! :eek:

I don't think I ever did since I was too worried, I ended up building a big complicated double shelf system attached to the frame, ended up busting it try to retap (into metal mounts) the screw sockets on the bottom though since one did work well any more and I got sick of it wobbeling. It was thicker than the average tempered glass desk though (Ikea Galant).

Happy to have helped a few of you find this deal. Hope you all enjoy the desk.

Still $64 when I tried at my local target. Thanks for the heads-up though.

there was one left at east green bay store but sold before i could get there.

Back