Video Card Suggestion

UltimaParadox

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have a 6800 Ultra, and will be making the move to PCI-E, I currently do not game all that much anymore. I do some Half Life 2 etc, but I do less and less. I would still like to be able to play the newer games, but perfomance is not the most important factor

I will probablly build a C2D machine with a 6600 for encoding, as I am not sure if I will wait for the new releases on July 22nd.

The kicker here is that I will be running the games on a 720p HDTV, so 1280 x 768 basically, and I was wondering if a 8800GTS 320MB is overkill.

Thanks

If it was me, I would go for the 8800GTS 320mb for sure.

The 8600GTS would be good too if you want to save some money.

If you don't do much gaming and don't really plan on getting any newer games. A good top of the line DX9 card should do you fine. My 7900GS runs pretty much anything I throw at it at 1680x1050 with fairly high quality settings. Using a lower res would make it even easier and the cards OC great even with just the coolbits registry mod.

well quite frankly if you are not going to game much, but you say you want it to support newer games, an 8600GT will suffice. dont flame me with "ZOMG 128-bit interface" cause im new here but not new to computer hardware. i know that; imho it doesnt matter that much because with the new 8xxx architecture and tons of shaders the memory interface doesnt matter quite as much anymore.

If i were you i would get a 7900gs or a x1900gt

but if you want dx 10 you dont need any more than an 8600GT if, again, like you said, you are not gaming much at all

well quite frankly if you are not going to game much, but you say you want it to support newer games, an 8600GT will suffice. dont flame me with "ZOMG 128-bit interface" cause im new here but not new to computer hardware. i know that; imho it doesnt matter that much because with the new 8xxx architecture and tons of shaders the memory interface doesnt matter quite as much anymore.

If i were you i would get a 7900gs or a x1900gt

but if you want dx 10 you dont need any more than an 8600GT if, again, like you said, you are not gaming much at all

Yeah I am starting to lean that way. I use to game all the time, but primarily I do that on my Xbox 360 now and not my PC, at least until Fallout 3 :p

I am against an 8600 for a few reasons because it seems to be a crippled card, and at that resolution you wont be able to play all games with all maxed out detail while with the 8800GTS you can do that, as i am right now with my res at 1280x1024 and everything is maxed out in each game.:D

I am against an 8600 for a few reasons because it seems to be a crippled card, and at that resolution you wont be able to play all games with all maxed out detail while with the 8800GTS you can do that, as i am right now with my res at 1280x1024 and everything is maxed out in each game.:D

Even at 1280 x 768?

Back