Video Card with 3 outputs versus XBOX for 5.1 audio HD rips

c10

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

For reference, here are my current specs:

- ATI Radeon HD4870 video card, with 2 DVI out's
- 2 22'' Samsung monitors
- X-Fi Fatil1ty card running optical out to a receiver + great 5.1 surround sound system.
- 50'' 1080i Sony TV
- PS3
- Ubuntu 9.10 64bit, but open to Win 7 ultimate 64 (must have 64, because I have 8gigs of memory).

My primary goal is to be able to use this as a media box to play music or high def rips over the tv and through the sound system.

The two options that I see are:

1. Replacing my current video card with a card like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125093 which has 3 outputs. I would use the two DVI for my monitors, and the HDMI for my TV. [ In theory, would this even work? ]

Then I would just extend a 3rd desktop, and maximize VLC on the TV, and via optical out the receiver would read 5.1 and things would work smooth.

2. Get an Xbox and use the windows media center (would have to revert back to windows for this). Stream from WMC to XBMC. My question here would be what if my rips don't come in the same format xbox provides? I'd be screwed right?

I'd like to hear comments and pro's/con's that you all see from going either route.

If anyone has any other suggestions for this, I'm all ears.

I'm so close to my ultimate HTPC! Very excited!

Rather than getting a whole new video card you could just add something really cheap to drive the TV.

You could stream to an Xbox or the PS3, but that may require re-encoding (which can be done on-the-fly) and also might not work well for HD depending on what speed your home network is. Streaming also means having both systems on, which might be distracting for movie watching.

PS, Does your receiver have HDMI inputs?

When you say Xbox is it saf to assume 360? I ask as the original Xbox can not handle HD.

Back