video playback and 8800

snaggletooth

Supreme [H]ardness
recently, i upgraded from my 7600 sli setup to an 8800gts. sweet.

slightly less sweet is the playback quality of my compressed video files after the switch. they looked great (relatively speaking) with the 7600's but now i seem to be encountering alot of pixelation whenever there's camera or actor movement, like the card can't keep up. i can't bring myself to believe that, however. i put a 7600 back in to make sure i wasn't just hallucinating and sure enough, the pixelation during camera or actor movement went away.

it's certainly tolerable, but i'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with regard to video playback using 8800 series cards. it's got me kinda frustrated that the quality would actually degrade when upgrading to a 'next-gen' video solution.

dvd's don't share the same fate; they still look great.

any ideas?

I imagine it's codec related. What are you using to decode? FFDSHOW is horrible.

i figured by mentioning that the image quality reverted back to normal when i re-installed the 7600, i could skip the listing of codecs; which are up to date and haven't been changed in the two weeks since the upgrade.

i use wmp11 and have the latest divx and xvid codecs as well as purevideo (which doesn't matter since i mentioned that dvd's aren't affected). i don't try strange codec packs to try and get shitty viruses disguised as pirated movies to play. just for kicks tho, i've already un-installed and re-installed my codecs. the problem remains.

again, i'll mention that the problem goes away when i switch back to a 7600.

Might be the drivers. As you know, nVidia just gets worst and worst as far as drivers go. So, it might be the drivers that you are using for the 7600 are better in that aspect, than the ones for the 8000. But to be honest, I don't know. Try to erase the old drivers completely to make sure there is no remains of the old ones, and re-install the drivers for the 8800.

Might be the drivers. As you know, nVidia just gets worst and worst as far as drivers go. So, it might be the drivers that you are using for the 7600 are better in that aspect, than the ones for the 8000. But to be honest, I don't know. Try to erase the old drivers completely to make sure there is no remains of the old ones, and re-install the drivers for the 8800.

..."as you know"? Massive flame bait.

for sure, i use drivercleaner to dispatch drivers before re-installing cards. funny tho, both of my cards use the same driver right now.

i don't know about the drivers getting worse and worse though... i find they get better and better.

furthermore, i know it's not a driver issue since the 7600 (using the same drivers, as i mentioned) plays back my divx files just fine.

it baffles my mind i tells ya! :eek:

for sure, i use drivercleaner to dispatch drivers before re-installing cards. funny tho, both of my cards use the same driver right now.

i don't know about the drivers getting worse and worse though... i find they get better and better.

furthermore, i know it's not a driver issue since the 7600 (using the same drivers, as i mentioned) plays back my divx files just fine.

it baffles my mind i tells ya! :eek:

I’m no gamer but I did recently upgrade to an EVGA 8800 GTS 320 a bog stock speeds. Tonight I umm…..er…….shared a few movies with my GigaBeat and noticed a really big difference in quality, but mine went up, not down.

I started playing around and what I came up with seems to be very similar to what most people experience when watching analog TV on an HD set. With HD clips or good DVD’s everything looks fine. The GigaBeat uses WMP format which looks good as well.

If I pop in an older movie I get grain and a lot of video noise. I also noticed this more with EVGA’s latest driver, however my 3-D rendering is much improved.

My monitor is a SamSung 244t and it’s pretty quick to show bad movies as bad movies.

Doubtful that helped you much, but you are not alone:);)

I’m no gamer but I did recently upgrade to an EVGA 8800 GTS 320 a bog stock speeds. Tonight I umm…..er…….shared a few movies with my GigaBeat and noticed a really big difference in quality, but mine went up, not down.

I started playing around and what I came up with seems to be very similar to what most people experience when watching analog TV on an HD set. With HD clips or good DVD’s everything looks fine. The GigaBeat uses WMP format which looks good as well.

If I pop in an older movie I get grain and a lot of video noise. I also noticed this more with EVGA’s latest driver, however my 3-D rendering is much improved.

My monitor is a SamSung 244t and it’s pretty quick to show bad movies as bad movies.

Doubtful that helped you much, but you are not alone:);)

yeah, HD content and DVD's do look fantastic with the 8800 and my lg204wt and i understand how monitors like ours can make SD content look like poo-nuggets. i'm just kinda curious as to why my poo-nugget SD videos look decent with my 7600+lg204wt and like poo-nuggets with my 8800+lg204wt.

like you said tho, 3d rendering is more important than my pira... legally purchased SD videos. i can live with the degradation; it's not like it makes the vids impossible to watch.

a few weeks back my buddy got a evga 8800gts 320 superclocked... while we were inspecting the box, it had some interesting info... based on it's little chart the 8600 and lower series cards were indicated to have better play back... me and my buddy were wondering just what that ment. I guess this might explain it

a few weeks back my buddy got a evga 8800gts 320 superclocked... while we were inspecting the box, it had some interesting info... based on it's little chart the 8600 and lower series cards were indicated to have better play back... me and my buddy were wondering just what that ment. I guess this might explain it

yeah, i was looking at everything to do with the 8800 packaging and noticed the same little chart on the back of the box that you're talking about. i dismissed it though, since it also lists the video-playback performance of the 7600 (which is the same 2/3 rating as the 8800) but my 7600 doesn't display the same video degradation.

i concluded that it was more or less indicitive of the cards' capabilities with decoding hd and dvd formats and leaves the question of how they all handle divx/xvid a mystery.

This guy sounds like a total moron who hasn't kept up with driver news :)

He's still reciting the same old shit from the beginning of this year when NVIDIA had it's driver woes.

No, the reason for this on the box is the absense of Purevideo (hardware offloading of decoding from the CPU) in the enthusiast (8800) series. They put it into the lower end and middle range products but not the high end.

This guy sounds like a total moron who hasn't kept up with driver news :)

He's still reciting the same old shit from the beginning of this year when NVIDIA had it's driver woes.
I'm talking about my actual experience. I have a Westy 37" as my monitor, and people that have this monitor, including myself, have been getting driver issues with it for some time. They fix a problem, but a different one comes out.

169.71 fixed the my video playback issues for some reason, it's certainly not a documented fix. perhaps the moon was just in proper alignment. :D

I'm talking about my actual experience. I have a Westy 37" as my monitor, and people that have this monitor, including myself, have been getting driver issues with it for some time. They fix a problem, but a different one comes out.

I am further and further convinced that that monitor has a really strange refresh rate, because when people start complaining about overscan and such at 1920x1080 on a HD TV it is almost invariably a Westinghouse 37" LCD owner. You bought a very inexpensive display -- not cheap, by any means, but far from a Samsung or Sony Xbrite panel. It was never intended as a PC monitor, and now you're constantly frustrated/angry with Nvidia because they don't make it work perfectly for you. Doesn't make sense to me.

Well, is not that bad at this point in time. I just have to do the little a little trick every time I restart my pc, but that's it. The worst problem occurs for the new drivers for Bioshock, but since I won't be playing that, I won't bother to update drivers. But, seems like is not the monitor itself, is the drivers. Everything was so perfect back then with my 6800GS. :( So sad that it doesn't play games at this higher res, so I ended up upgrading up to 8800GTS, and that's where it all began.

Back