Viewing angles: what's the big deal...really?

Sanctuary

Weaksauce
Sorry for the noob question, but hey...I'm a noobie! But seriously, why all the fuss over viewing angles? Is it mostly for people that like to run dual or even triple setups? Does the viewing angle matter at all for someone that only has one monitor and only use it for general use and gaming? I mean really, if it's the only monitor you use, aren't you almost always going to be head on with it? Other than having a 2-3 monitor setup, I just can't understand why it's so highly valued when comparing panel types. What am I missing here? :(

I am not sure myself. Rarely am I off center much on my screen that my viewing angle matters. Maybe if I am down working on my pc or something I may be in a awkward angle. If im viewing anything from a distance, a movie, or a tv download, i run it via svideo to my tv anyhow.

I would guess part of it is for multiple displays, but that still shouldnt have that much affect.

Well depends on the panel, I remember having an old TN monitor and it was pretty bad whenever I'd even move my head up or down. I got the chance to try a few newer TNs and they seem improved but the vertical angle problem is still there but much easier to live with. S-MVAs and earlier S-PVA screens would washout very easily whenever you move your head. Newer S-PVAs are better now but still not perfect.. IPS monitors are best and maybe you have one and that's why it doesn't seem like a big issue to you. Other than the washout S-MVA and older S-PVAs any monitors viewing angles should be enough for anybody unless they like movies or inviting friends over.

I agree with just about everything StaticSurge says. But I will add more because this is a huge annoyance for me.

I never knew viewing angles were an issues when I bought my first LCD a Dell 2405 with PVA that was advertised with 178 degree viewing angles. So I thought the same as most. That is is insanely great. I would be happy with 50 degrees. Little did I know that these numbers are achieved in such a deceptive way that they are meaningless. These panels tend to be completely washed out by then. The panel turned out to be so bad that if you sitting perfectly centered then the sides are washed out. Move even a little bit and it all shifts. It was hideous.

So next I educated myself with the truth about viewing angles and discovered that only S-IPS panels have really great viewing angles. So I ordered a Dell 2007fp which was supposed to be S-IPS, but dell started doing the Dell panel switcheroo (AKA Dell panel lottery). I ended up with another S-PVA Samsung with terrible viewing angles. This time I wanted to demonstrate that the problem is not just moving a lot or sitting 70 degrees off axis. I took this picture with the camera centered by hand, so off a bit, but no more than where someone typically sits:

http://i.pbase.com/o4/04/606404/1/59768645.PVA_Shadow.jpg
And a crop here to show the shift:
65452628.TGQ59HS0.pvaToneShift.jpg

Now this is a repeated patern across the screen shot straight on. It should be the same, but in look at the crop from two non adjacent sections. A whole lot of shifting going on even when you are essentially cenetered and straight on to the monitor.

Back to CRT and a cheap screen:

Basically I decided LCD had a lot of issues and I bought another CRT and cheap LCD to go with it. Then I discovered that much maligned TN panels are actually better than PVA/MVA. They have worse vertical angles, but the horizontal angles are almost as good as S-IPS. It is the horizontal angles that are of the most importance, for a few resons. You move horizontally a lot more when using a monitor. Viewing angles can be so bad horizonatlly that each of your eyes will see different things, which cause a glare and phony 3d effect that can lead to extra fatigue and annoyance factor.

Here is the rundown

S-IPS: The best, no need to worry. Closest thing to CRT. This is the best tech, but also the most expensive.

TN: This is the next best(surprisingly the least expensive), but there are caveats. It will suck big time if you want to use the monitor in portrait mode (rotate so it is taller than long) because then the vertical issue becomes and all important horizontal one. And color tends to be dithered on TN. My TN displays banding in tests, though I haven't seen any in games/movies/images, it looks great there. You would not use this for critical color work.

PVA/MVA: First I want to say that there are reportedly a couple of newer S-PVA panels that are better (New 21" and 24"), but the following applies to the majority of *VA panels. These I wouldn't use for anything. Viewing angles suck in every direction, tone will be shifted on the sides when you sit centered (see my shot above) and will get worse with the slightest movement. If you are sensitive, glare and 3d effects will give you a headache.

This image should give you some idea of the horizontal viewing angle issue, but I stress: For panels that have poor viewing angles you will have effects even when you are pefectly centered.

64639195.JhAr5Shr.angles.jpg

Human Factors: The bottom line though is we are all differernt. I would say most people don't care one way or the other. Just like a big chunk don't notice input lag, or how some are driven crazy by the matted screen coating, or backlight bleed etc. You have to figure out what works for you. Me I avoid PVA/MVA like the plague, because the effects are a headace when I am perfectly centered, not becuase I sit off at extreme angles, which I don't. Only you can determine how this will affect you and really you can only tell for certain after you get the screen home for some time.

Lcd technology has gotten much better...as little as 4-5 years ago the average lcd had to be viewed directly head on or the picture went to crap very quickly with even small head movements. The newer generation is much better and only really degrades when you get at an angle you wouldn't normally use anyway...of course only the user sitting directly in front get a perfect view but that's what really matters right? I don't care if someone sneaking a peek as they walk past gets a darker/less colorful view. :p

I use my PC for general use stuff, digital photography and occassional gaming so i'm pretty much right in front of the display and have no problems with viewing angle on a 20" WXGA display that uses a TN panel. I suppose a wider viewing angle could come in handy in some setups, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

I can definately notice a difference in contrast/brightness on my 2405 when moving even at a slight horizontal angle from center.. it can be annoying at times, depending on what's on the screen, but like most have said, 99% of time is spent dead center so it matters little

you notice a little difference at first but you really get used to it, and I much prefure my LCD over a CRT, so much sharper and easier on the eyes.

Back