vista 32-bit, 64-bit

snaggletooth

Supreme [H]ardness
which copies of vista come with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the OS? doesn't matter if i have to call and/or send some mail away to receive the other dvd or whatever, just wondering if any of them aside from 'ultimate' provide both 32 and 64.

i'm sure i read some information on this here before, but i tried searching to no avail. :confused:

thanks for any info regarding this.

that's it though, eh?

i thought i had read somewhere that home premium offered the option as well, one just had to call/mail something in.

i guess i heard wrong :p

thanks for the quick response.

Home Premium Retail is generally delivered in 32bit and a 64 bit disk can be ordered from MS for 10 bucks.

Thats what I did.:D

which copies of vista come with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the OS? doesn't matter if i have to call and/or send some mail away to receive the other dvd or whatever, just wondering if any of them aside from 'ultimate' provide both 32 and 64.

i'm sure i read some information on this here before, but i tried searching to no avail. :confused:

thanks for any info regarding this.

All copies of the Retail versions have both 32-bit and 64-bit copies.

Incorrect, sir. Ultimate includes both copies, while you have to send for 64-bit copies for all other Retail versions.

You can also get an "anytime upgrade" disc from compusa online for the 64 bit versions which allows you to install home basic, home premium, ultimate and business (with a proper license key of course).
It's only $5.25 shipped and you don't have to be doing an anytime upgrade to use it.
I got 3 vista keys from my school's msdnaa program, and I bought 1 32bit and 1 64bit disc, from compusa and they work like a charm.

Home Premium Retail is generally delivered in 32bit and a 64 bit disk can be ordered from MS for 10 bucks.

Thats what I did.:D

awesome, that's the answer i was looking for. :D

the instructions for doing so are located in the manual, i assume.

awesome, that's the answer i was looking for. :D

the instructions for doing so are located in the manual, i assume.

My box of Home Premium x86 came with a pamphlet with instructions on how to order.
It basically points you to this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

You just fill out the form, and you'll get your DVD for about $10.
You can also borrow it from someone else.
My brother had an x64 OEM copy of Vista (OEM copies don't allow for ordering other versions or media, retail only. OEM is supposed to be in the proper format for the PC it's bundled with).
I used that to install it with the key from my retail upgrade version of Vista (I did order a DVD for myself, but I didn't want to wait until it arrived, I wanted to install right away).
The key determines what version you may install. The DVDs are all equal.
Note though that the key for x86 and x64 is the same, and you can only activate one of them (I asked at Microsoft, you can't use it to dual-boot on a single PC, because you simply won't be able to activate the second copy).
But it shouldn't be a problem, because Microsoft is pretty strict about x64-support. For example, the logo program "Games for Windows" requires that you have both x86 and x64 compatibility. That should solve one of the biggest problems with games on XP x64: broken installers and 32-bit only CD/DVD checks.

So is there any real reason for anyone to upgrade their systems to the 64 bit versions or is 32 bit good enough? I feel like it's about time for me to give Vista a go, and I am torn between deciding on the 32 bit or 64 bit... I was going to go for the oem disks, but if the retail version do allow for upgrading to 64 bit, then I might just bite on that.

I'll probably just be dual booting my system with my xp pro...

Personally, unless you have 4GB+ in your system, there's really no functional advantage to 64bit Vista. Now, there are a couple of security features that are in the 64bit version, but 32bit will be better supported for a while.

This will eventually change. When retail machines start shipping with 64bit versions, you'll know that tide has turned. Until then, I say make you life a little easier and go 32bit.

Personally, unless you have 4GB+ in your system, there's really no functional advantage to 64bit Vista. Now, there are a couple of security features that are in the 64bit version, but 32bit will be better supported for a while.

This will eventually change. When retail machines start shipping with 64bit versions, you'll know that tide has turned. Until then, I say make you life a little easier and go 32bit.

Thanks a lot Heatless. I am not upgrading anymore for a while... I think I am content with 2gb's of Ram... I think i'll just save some $ right now and go with an oem 32bit version :) woohoo!

I don't think Vista 32-bit is supported better than 64-bit at all.
Microsoft is pushing 64-bit pretty hard. Anyone who wants to be "Vista compatible" or whatever logo programs Microsoft has, must support both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Apart from better security, there are also some performance advantages in 64-bit.

I'd rather say: you might aswell go for 64-bit now, because there's little reason to stick with 32-bit.
Ofcourse it all depends on what hardware and software you use. There are some exceptions where there are no 64-bit drivers yet, or for some reason a certain program only runs in 32-bit (eg CD/DVD copy protection). But I think for most people 64-bit will be fine.
All the standard hardware (Intel, NV, ATi, VIA chipsets, NV/ATi/Intel video, Soundmax, Realtek, Soundblaster audio) is supported just fine.
Same with all the 'standard' software, like IE, Firefox, Office, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, and I'd say most games from the past 3-4 years.

Especially if you already have a copy of 32-bit XP, it'd be silly to go 32-bit Vista. Vista is made to be 64-bit, and if you have a dualboot with 32-bit XP, you can still run those few exceptional cases that don't work yet (then again, Vista has some issues in general, so even with 32-bit Vista you still want to have a copy of XP installed).
There will be virtually *no* software coming out for Vista that's not going to work in 64-bit.

Also, 2 gb of ram is not even enough today, imho. Many games will want more than 2 gb to run smoothly at all times. I personally use 3 gb, which is pretty okay, and I'm already running into 32-bit limitations. XP 32-bit only shows 2.93 gb. I wouldn't be surprised if Vista SP1 demands even more memory. Also, at current memory prices, you'd be silly not to upgrade your memory soon. I'm waiting for the 2 gb-modules to drop, then I'll be going for 6 gb. You can never have enough memory.

or for some reason a certain program only runs in 32-bit (eg CD/DVD copy protection).
Just for the record, that's a driver issue :-p
They use drivers to implement copy protection (in every case I've seen anyway)
You'd be amazed how much of the useful software out there makes use of drivers and you never even see it.

I'm confused, so if I get OEM vista premium 32bit, I can order a 64bit cd?

I'm confused, so if I get OEM vista premium 32bit, I can order a 64bit cd?

No, this is only for retail.
(OEM should be bundled by a system builder, so in theory it should be impossible to get the wrong version. The OS belongs with that particular PC. Retail is sold in 32-bit on the shelf normally).

So can I install an OEM version on a different setup after uninstalling if from the previous setup? Are they more strict on switching systems on OEM versions?

So can I install an OEM version on a different setup after uninstalling if from the previous setup? Are they more strict on switching systems on OEM versions?

You can't switch systems on the OEM version. It's tied to your motherboard on activation.
OEM is meant to belong to a specific computer.
If you want to switch systems, you have to get the retail version.
Normally each system will come with its own OEM anyway... and even retail won't let you use it on more than one computer at the same time. It just makes it possible to transfer the license to a new system when you upgrade.

You can't switch systems on the OEM version. It's tied to your motherboard on activation.
OEM is meant to belong to a specific computer.
If you want to switch systems, you have to get the retail version.
Normally each system will come with its own OEM anyway... and even retail won't let you use it on more than one computer at the same time. It just makes it possible to transfer the license to a new system when you upgrade.

Damn. Well thanks for the quick response. Guess ill have to look at something else...

If you upgrade, yuou can re-activate an OEM version.... you will just have to activate it over the phone.

The phone activation is mostly automated now, including questions about replacing major system components.

As for the OEM key working on a 64-bit disc.. it should. We bought a multipack of Business Upgrade (not-retail), and the keys for it work fine with the 64-bit disc.

Also.. the "upgrade" version is a lot cheaper then the "retail" version.... pretty much about the same price as the "OEM" version.

Ok, two more questions:

In order to use the upgrade version, I have to have a previous version (greater than 98) installed? Or can I just insert the disk like it did with XP?

And is the academic version the same as the regular retail version? Or is it like OEM?

If you upgrade, yuou can re-activate an OEM version.... you will just have to activate it over the phone.

No, you have to call MS, explain WHY you need to re-activate an OEM version and then *pray* that they let you activate it.
I am not going to suggest this option, because I'm not going to take responsibility when someone fails to get it reactivated and has to buy a new license.

Also.. the "upgrade" version is a lot cheaper then the "retail" version.... pretty much about the same price as the "OEM" version.

No, still about 33% more expensive than the OEM version.

In order to use the upgrade version, I have to have a previous version (greater than 98) installed? Or can I just insert the disk like it did with XP

No, you actually NEED to have it installed (and I think it's only XP... you need XP x64 to install Vista x64, because the installer is 64-bit only and cannot run from a 32-bit OS).
The proper way to install Windows Vista upgrade is to run the installer from the OS you're upgrading from (either XP or Vista). Even when you're doing a clean installation on another partition (which in some cases is the only way, because not all XPs can be upgraded to all Vistas).
You can boot from the DVD, but when you enter your key, it will say it's an upgrade and needs to be installed from another OS.

Alternatively you could skip entering the key, so that it won't know you have an upgrade license, and then enter the key after the OS is installed.
But again, I will not recommend this method, because it's a gray area, just like the above trick with trying to reactivate an OEM on the phone. It's outside your license, and it may not work.

just incase you were still wondering i stumbled across this today at windows site

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

The 64-bit editions of Windows Vista—available for all editions of Windows Vista except Starter—deliver premier performance, reliability, and security, providing you access to the next generation of PC innovations

doug

edit:
if you go to that website it contains the link to get the upgrade dvd for 64 bit....

Back