Vista 64 Ultimate + EVGA 8800GT = problems?

rlee

Gawd
Not sure if it's the video card, or if it's the OS. But my friends have no problems playing games with their laptop video cards on vista 32. so I'm going to guess it is my certain vid card + my OS.

Specs in sig,

But I've had problems playing warcraft 3, crysis, and team fortress 2.

Warcraft 3 would fatal error sometimes, and it would blue screen sometimes.
crysis would freeze sometimes, saying video driver stopped working or something (i googled this, and it seeems to be a common problem with no fix)
team fortress 2 would just freeze. (hl2.exe stopped responding)

I'm seriously thinking about going back to XP. Anyone having these issues as well? I'm using latest nvidia drivers of course. I only built this machine a few weeks ago so everything is fairly up to date.

this is the driver i have:

NVIDIA Driver Downloads
ForceWare Release 169 WHQL
Version: 169.25
Release Date: December 20, 2007
Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit
Language: U.S. English
File Size: 45.0 MB

what other driver can i try?

If a driver update does not fix all, I would consider looking into your PSU. Depending on how
many hard drives you are powering you may want to step up to a 600 or 650 Watt Corsair.

i have 2 sata seagate hard drives, but i was under the impression that 550 is way more than enough even for my system

I have run the 8800gt in both BFG and EVGA flavors without issue in Vista 64 you problem is not with the OS. I hope that helps

I wanna say its the card. I had similar symptoms with my first 8800gt in Vista 64. I tried everything under the sun. Finally Rma'ed the card and the new one has been rock solid for 1 month+.

Your power supply should be sufficient. I have a 3 year old OCZ Modstream 520 and My Q6600 OC'ed to 3.2Ghz/2 hard drives/8800gt/ max load was only 260watts at the wall measured with a Kill-a-watt.

any tools out there to test my 8800gt to isolate the problem? i've ran prime95 for like 3 hours without any problems, so i know it's not my cpu/oc.

I also have the EVGA 8800GT (KO). 2 of em actually. Running Vista x64 on a EVGA 780i. Previsously on a Abit 680i. Neither one had issues, multiple drivers. You can try a clean install, update all mobo drivers then the video driver. If you still have issues then its definatley hardware.

It sounds like a video card hardware problem I also have vista x64 with a EVGA 8800GT AKIMBO editon card and my powersupply is only a 430watt antec earthwatts and everything runs great. So if I had to guess I would say video card problem.

No issues here. I don't really think it is power issue. I am using 174.74 with Vista64 and it is running very stable with LOTRO.

I'm running Vista 64 bit and have an EVGA 8800GT as well, but I have no problems. I'm away from my desktop right now, so I can't give you my driver release, but I am using a beta version- it's a beta as of December, but I don't think there's been any new development on the 8800GT's Vista drivers since then. I can let you know when I'm back at that machine though.

I've had zero issues though, the only thing I have to say is that the Akimbo Cooler from EVGA is worth every penny. Since I installed SP1, COD4 seems to freeze my drivers occasionally, but it's nothing too bad since Vista recovers from driver issues most of the time. I'm also running hardware that takes fewer watts on the same power supply. I have had problems running Crysis lately, not sure what caused that, but I haven't put much effort into fixing it since I beat the game already. I'd say look for the current beta driver for the 8800GT, and see if that works.

The 174 beta drivers fixed some major issues I was having w/ Portal. It was totally unplayable pre-upgrade. I'm running the xfx 8800gt

I have a stock XFX 8800 GT and it runs fine with Vista 64.

Maybe you want to try uninstalling the video card driver and your chipset driver. Then install the chipset driver and reinstall the video card.

Hope you can get things working again!

Well you can throw darts at the problem until you fix it, or you can actually research the problem. What are the error messages or blue screen messages you are receiving? Are you sure they are not problems with the sound card, as I had huge problems with creative sound cards when I first set up Vista.

Secondly, I noticed you are running 4 GB of RAM. Have you installed the 4 GB of RAM hotfix for Vista? Have you installed the creative driver for systems with over 4 GB of RAM?

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Not sure if it's the video card, or if it's the OS. But my friends have no problems playing games with their laptop video cards on vista 32. so I'm going to guess it is my certain vid card + my OS.

Specs in sig,

But I've had problems playing warcraft 3, crysis, and team fortress 2.

Warcraft 3 would fatal error sometimes, and it would blue screen sometimes.
crysis would freeze sometimes, saying video driver stopped working or something (i googled this, and it seeems to be a common problem with no fix)
team fortress 2 would just freeze. (hl2.exe stopped responding)

I'm seriously thinking about going back to XP. Anyone having these issues as well? I'm using latest nvidia drivers of course. I only built this machine a few weeks ago so everything is fairly up to date.
I also have a 8800GT and Ultimate 64-bit and have no issues, so I don't think it's Vista. Card, driver, possibly memory would be my guess...

And like hasoos said, make sure you have all your updates installed. I have 4GB of RAM too.

I've seen similar issues with bad VRAM. Its a PITA to troubleshoot because things will work just fine until the game (or whatever) loads enough memory to reach a bad sector. Theres a chance there may be something up with the video card, although I guess it could be a lot of things.

I have a 8800gt 512mb and 64bit.I would say PSU I had some issues too with a 550watt Antec not being enough with weird errors before I got my 750watt cooler master.I went from a 9,146 3dmark06 to a 12.540 bench just changing the PSU.:confused:

Back