Vista is breaking my balls! Wireless connection extremely slow.

poopy

Limp Gawd
I'm running vista business 64 on a machine that uses a Gigabyte GN-WP01GS wireless pci adapter to connect to my router. Windows firewall is disabled. For the first couple hours after I installed it, I was getting around 150 KB/sec, which is about right for my connection. Then the throughput dropped to about 2 KB/sec. The card is within range of the router -- getting 3-4 bars.

I've tried the drivers listed on gigabytes website and the newer ones from Ralink that I got from windows update. Neither fix the problem. I've also tried disabling the stuff mentioned in the vista tips faq of this forum. Didn't work.

I don't think it's an interference issue because I have a laptop w/ wireless that I can put in the same spot as my computer and the throughput is fine. FYI: the laptop is running Vista 32-bit home premium with a intel pro wireless chipset.

Real close to sending back the wireless nic and going wired.

i've got the same problem with Vista 64 Home Premium, OOL, Linksys WRT54G ver.6 w/ most recent firmware and the card is Buffalo Technology AirStation 802.11g Wireless Desktop Card WLI2-PCI-G54S my connection was unacceptable 250 down 30 up. My lappy has a faster connection. So i went back to wired you should too.

Back