Vista Media Center content => Win7 MC?

[LYL]Homer

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm running Vista 32-bit Ult on my HTPC now and am planning to upgrade to Win7 64-bit Ult (Technet) and am wondering if I'm going to have any issue with all my recorded shows via Media Center because of DRM.

Will any Windows flavor play MC created DRM content? Do I have to upgrade instead of clean install to carry content forward?

[LYL]Homer;1034772929 said:
I'm running Vista 32-bit Ult on my HTPC now and am planning to upgrade to Win7 64-bit Ult (Technet) and am wondering if I'm going to have any issue with all my recorded shows via Media Center because of DRM.

Will any Windows flavor play MC created DRM content? Do I have to upgrade instead of clean install to carry content forward?

Unless you are using an ATI cablecard tuner, you should be fine. The only content that really gets locked down by the DRM are the recordings made on encrypted channels that the cablecard has decrypted. You can only play those files on the original PC that recorded them. Recordings made OTA or via ClearQAM have a bit more freedom. I have recorded shows on a Vista/TVPack PC, copied the files to a folder on an XP PC and added that folder to a media library on a Win7 PC, and all the files playback fine. You should be fine backing up your Recorded TV folder and doing a clean install.

Back