vista product keys

Cirkustanz

Limp Gawd
I have legal copies of the follow operating systems:

xp professional
windows vista ultimate 32 bit (this is the version for use by students and teachers)
windows vista home premium 64 bit

Originally, I had vista home premium 64. I later aquired the vista ultimate 32 student version, under the hopes that I could use the microsoft 64 bit alternate media to aquire the same disc, just in 64 bit mode. Unfortunately, that product key does not work for that program.

Fast forward to a month later, which is today. I was thinking about setting up my old hardware for use in the family room. I was originally planning on just installing the 32bit vista ultimate license on it (not xp pro, as I like media center, and xp pro does not have it of course)

Anyways, I remembered that with all versions of vista, the product keys determine what version of the software you use, and the disc itself determines if you are installing the 32 or the 64 bit version.

Now here is what I am thinking............

Reinstall the OS on my primary computer.....put in the vista home premium 64 bit disc, and when it asks me for a product key, I give it the one that came with the vista ultimate 32 education edition. This does work in the installer itself, so I assume it will work.

Then I setup the living room computer just with the vista home premium product key. Obviously I am going to have to call Microsoft when I activate the living room computer, but that's ok.

Can you guys think of a reason why that would not work?

Also.......I know with windows XP there were utilities that would allow you to change your product key. If such an application existed for vista, could I just simply change my product key on my main computer, and I would then be using vista ultimate? As I understand, when a person does the "anytime upgrade" all they are doing is buying the new product key, and the new features of the OS are "unlocked". I assume this would be the most hassle free way of doing it, if possible.

Cliffs:

can I use a 64 bit vista home premium disc, but give it the product key of vista ultimate 32, and wind up with vista ultimate 64 bit when the installation finishes?

And is there a way to upgrade the home premium installation to ultimate, using the new product key without a reinstall?

Well, you can change your product key by going into the control panel/system/windows activation section, and click on "change product key" but a box comes up that says I must run windows setup or use a vista home premium product key.

Looks like I get to reinstall. Oh well!

I might just buy the vista anytime upgrade package. It is $160, but it certainly sounds convenient, and then I would have 2 licenses for vista ultimate. Nothing wrong with that.

question:
can I use a 64 bit vista home premium disc, but give it the product key of vista ultimate 32, and wind up with vista ultimate 64 bit when the installation finishes?

answer:

Yes!

Perhaps. But I wanted to save someone the effort of explaining it, since I eventually discovered the answer to my own question.

If the search gets fixed, and someone wonders the same thing, voila!

So you're saying that your 32-bit Ultimate product key works to activate the 64 bit version of Vista?

So you're saying that your 32-bit Ultimate product key works to activate the 64 bit version of Vista?

Yes. The same keys work for 32 or 64, as long as they are the same version (both Ultimate, for example).

I wanted to use vista ultimate for a couple reasons. Primarily, I needed bitlocker.
I also wanted to use dreamscene.

But it only took about 5 minutes for dreamscene to wig out, and crash on me. HIlarous.
It's funny though, making an entire movie as your dreamscene background. The audio even works.

All Vista keys are good for either 32-bit or 64-bit versions, unless they're OEM keys, which are only valid for the version they came with.

OEM keys will work on 32 or 64 bit as long as it is the same version the OEM shipped with.

okay cool. i have 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the installation media from my employer, although i was under the impression that my ultimate key would only work for the 32 bit version... since i have to reinstall later this week it will be nice to actually use the extra 32 bits on my CPU (and the 4gigs of ram that Vista 32 bit can't see)

i'm gonna install 64 bit and report back here :)

1. Licenses for Vista are not exclusive to the 32-bit or 64-bit version - you can use your installation key for the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows Vista. If you do not have a copy of the 64-bit installation disc, you can order one from Microsoft for the cost of shipping.

2. The discs you get when you purchase Windows Vista (be it 32-bit or 64-bit) all have the same content, no matter wether you purchase Home Basic, Premium, Business, or Ultimate. The installer will ask you which edition you've purchased (and allow you to enter your product installation key if you so wish) before proceeding with the full installation. Based on your selection the installer will customize the operating system with the appropriate components and appropriate license (Home Basic, Premium, Business, Ultimate).

:)

Blue Falcon, well said, that's what I was trying to say.

gravityxx, I lol'd too.

AMDXPCottonFire22, agreed

Back