Vista SP2 hits RTM

ND40oz

[H]F Junkie
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14676

Microsoft's latest service pack will bring the ability to record Blu-Ray, numerous Wi-Fi updates, and other tweaks and bugfixes

On the tails of the release of the Windows Vista SP2 Release Candidate to the masses, only a couple weeks later Microsoft has delivered the RTM Escrow build to its Connect beta testers. Microsoft had already released this build several days ago, reportedly, to its internal testers.

Beta testers can find the new build on Windows Update via Windows Connect. It has been packaged with multiple install options to test, including Slipstream versions and Standalone installers. The new build string is 6002.17043.090312-1835, so if you are a tester or have a copy you can check its authenticity against that.

The new service pack delivers many much anticipated features, along with numerous tweaks and bug fixes which should strengthen the Vista experience. Among the hottest additions in the new pack is the ability to record in Blu-Ray format for the first time in Windows. Other key additions include Bluetooth v2.1 connectivity, Windows Connect Now (WCN) Wi-Fi Configuration wireless functionality, faster Wi-Fi resume times after hibernation, Windows Search 4.0, and the ability to configure the maximum number of TCP connections.

For those outside the testing community eager to get their hands on the final version of SP2, it should be available within a couple weeks, as the RTM build typically is the last step before a public release. Stay tuned for more details.

Hasn't hit MSDN yet, the RC version is still up.

cool? nobody cares?

Too much Win7 buzz for people to notice Vista has a new SP coming.

I, myself, am only interested in the improvements to Wi-Fi, and the ability to configure the maximum number of TCP connections. Otherwise it is just another security roll up to me.

wifi improvements are welcomed. im trying to find this rtm release though... not showing up anywhere yet it seems...

cool? nobody cares?

yes, nobody here cares, pff. I care, thanks for the info. on a sid enote but, if you dont care move along and dont be an idiot.

Tomorrow at uni I am going to go to the shop and tell them i dont care they sell pies. Not because i have to, but because i want them to know that i dont care they sell pies.

The Wifi updates are very welcomed... Vista doesn't like the Wifi at my school at all so I find myself using Linux there, which unfortunately doesn't get along with a lot of other stuff I have to do while I am at school (making it kinda useless unless I want to slack off and browse the web).

Good news!

cool? nobody cares?

I'm not planning on moving to Windows 7 on this computer, so I'll be running Vista SP2. None of the new features are likely to affect me though, and the rest of it is mostly patches I already have (or Windows Search 4.0, which I also have), so I'm not really waiting for it with much anticipation.

I don't use Vista, but a few of my buddies do and have been having a rubbish time with WiFi - so cheers for the info: I shall let them know : )

I'm looking forward to this, in fact I keep checking this thread to see if someone posts where to get it... ;) Vista SP1 is solid enough on my systems that it doesn't strictly *need* another SP, but it'll probably help none-the-less.

I would just wait until Microsoft officially releases it. No need to rush out to some torrent or softwares4u.ru site to get the thing.

Cool stuff. The WiFi improvements will be nice to have. My machine can take a while to reconnect coming out of hibernation (and other times, it's all kinds of fast -- strange).

yes, nobody here cares, pff. I care, thanks for the info. on a sid enote but, if you dont care move along and dont be an idiot.

Tomorrow at uni I am going to go to the shop and tell them i dont care they sell pies. Not because i have to, but because i want them to know that i dont care they sell pies.

what the fuck is your problem? this was posted for TWO DAYS with no response. i was pointing that out, not telling everyone what to think. pay attention a little more and you won't think everyone but yourself is an idiot.

I'm looking forward to this, in fact I keep checking this thread to see if someone posts where to get it... ;) Vista SP1 is solid enough on my systems that it doesn't strictly *need* another SP, but it'll probably help none-the-less.

qft. im wondering if the memory management will be sorted out a bit. the way vista uses ram is really the only huge difference it seems compared to win7.

what the fuck is your problem? this was posted for TWO DAYS with no response. i was pointing that out, not telling everyone what to think. pay attention a little more and you won't think everyone but yourself is an idiot.

I got the same vibe that he got from your post. Perhaps you should have worded it differently.

Wow it just seems like they released SP1... I tell ya, XP's LONG cycles have me forgetting how quickly Microsoft usually releases this stuff.

That said, this still is just a security rollup mainly.

Looks like Vista's last SP would be SP3 then.

I'm welcoming Windows 7. After I get Vista working on my network at least, I'm planning to start planting Windows 7 seeds in the company ;)

People tend to forget SP2 was such a big change to XP that it really was a bit more then what has typically been a service pack. I think they had to release it as a free SP though considering how piss poor XP security was previously.

Personally I can't wait for SP2. I rebuild my 3 boxes monthly it seems with all of these hardware upgrades. I've got MSDN and can get the SP2 slipstreamed media. This will make my rebuilds significantly quicker.

Windows 7 is great and I really love it, but it means absolutely nothing to me until it's out of BETA.

Can you download this on Microsofts site? I don't see it.

Back