Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

MFDOOM1

Limp Gawd
I plan on upgrading to VU 64 bit in the coming months, however im not sure what to do on it. The question im asking is do i need a new hard drive for the new os or can just install it over the current hard drive where it contains VU 32 bit. Also is it worth upgrading my ram after the upgrade before the release of core i7?

You can install over your current installation since Vista will place all system folders (Program Files, User, Windows) into Windows.old & install its own as needed.

In regards to the RAM, I would recommend that you wait until Core i7 is released. You might need to deal with a new mobo & RAM (such as DDR3). Upgrading now wouldn't be very wise but Vista x64 works best with 4GB. Plan to get 4 to 16GB DDR3 if you want the most performance out of a Core i7 (varying on your intentions of use).

thanks! that saved me quite a bit of money, also im just gonna drop 70 bux on some xtra ram that way i can wait on new memory and then upgrade to 16 gig.

I would add 2G more to your rig, prices are so cheap these days you can find 2G kits for like $20 or so.

You can install over your current installation since Vista will place all system folder (Program Files, User, Windows) into Windows.old & install its own as needed.

That.

When you install, choose the 'Custom Install' option and then select the same partition where your existing installation resides. The end result is effectively a 'clean install', with the old installation quarantined in a folder as mentioned.

The old installation can be removed later (make sure you've recovered any overlooked stuff from the folder first) by selecting the 'Previous Windows installations' option in the Disk Cleanup tool.

I would add 2G more to your rig, prices are so cheap these days you can find 2G kits for like $20 or so.
i currently already have 2g of 800mhz dominator ram, i was gonna upgrade to 4g of 1066, however becuase of core i7, im just go for another 2g of the same ram, price is 70 bux for an extra 2g. Also, thanks catweazle, for letting me know on the custom install, will need to clear some space first on the 750g drive. However, im hoping to do it next month since i want to able to fully use the ram.

You can not select custom install on a 64bit OS over a 32bit OS. You have to do a fresh format.

You can not select custom install on a 64bit OS over a 32bit OS. You have to do a fresh format.

Untrue, such would only happen to not work if you were trying to upgrade it. Booting from the DVD & selecting a custom install would do as I & Catweazle have described.

'Custom install' is NOT an 'Upgrade install'. Custom install is an installation option for placing a clean install on a drive partition which contains an existing Windows install. Upgrade install leaves programs, settings and data in place. Custom install does not.

'Custom install' is NOT an 'Upgrade install'. Custom install is an installation option for placing a clean install on a drive partition which contains an existing Windows install. Upgrade install leaves programs, settings and data in place. Custom install does not.

Im confused, it seems like custom install is like a fresh install except it leaves the old windows folder. Does it also leave the drivers, programs and such? Cuz if it doesn't, then it seems like fresh install is the way to go.

Custom install does NOT leave the 'old windows folder'. It rolls the entire previous installation into a new folder named 'WINDOWS.OLD", then puts a clean, fresh install on the drive after the previous installation has been quarantined there.

Custom install IS the Microsoft recommended 'clean install' option for a PC with an existing Windows installation on it. Choose a different partition to retain the original install and end up with a dual boot. Choose the original partition to quarantine the old install, and enable any overlooked data to be reclaimed before the old install is eventually nuked.

Yeah, all that stuff people often overlook because they didn't realise it was getting saved to some obscure program install directory, or someplace amidst the jumble of XP's 'Documents and Settings' folder structure, or whatever.

For a lot of folk posting here the 'destructive' nuke and clean install (i.e. delete/recreate the partition and start over) is no problem at all. But for a lot of other folk, who might have necessary stuff on the system partition they haven't necessarily identified and backed up, 'Custom install' is actually a better 'clean install' option.

Back