Vista x64 SP1 Ultimate Windows Update problem

omjeremy

Limp Gawd
When I open Windows Update from control panels it just stays empty and is completely unresponsive. It doesn't say it's having a problem, just nothing happens. I'm a bit concerned that my computer might not be able to update. I have UAC turned off. I also have somewhat of the same problem with Windows Defender. It won't update. Any suggestions?

I tried sfc /scannow as someone had recommended, but I still have the problem. Also, it said there weren't any problems after I did that scan.

Did you use vlite or anything of that sort?
Having uac turned off would have nothing to do with it.

Nope, no vlite... I did a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64 from Vista Premium 32.

Is computer date and time correct? Many windows update issues are caused by that :(

Here's a screenshot:

sboaz9.jpg

Well I did some researching for you and it seems you are not the only one. Someone even went as far as extracting the windows update OS files and replaced all those within the OS and it still didn't help. One Microsoft tech guy gave a link to a site and it didn't fix anyones problem either. Everyone ends up reinstalling.

Did you do a fresh install or mess with any services?

Thanks so much for your time looking for help bigdogchris. Yeah I, of course, have also been looking and came to the same conclusion as you.

When installing Vista 64bit I did a fresh install and didn't mess with any services. This is my first real problem with Vista even though I've used it for about a year. I even tried system restore, but even the earliest save doesn't fix the problem. Meh... I guess I can reinstall the whole OS, but for now I'll just leave it be until I feel there's a good enough reason to have windows update, of course unless someone else has some ideas.

Wow! I actually finally found a solution to the problem.
Source
RE: Vista Update Page Blank
Have you tried reinstalling the windows update agent see if this helps.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe

Follow the below procedure if that doesn't help.

net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop sens
net stop cryptsvc

Rename the %sytemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
Rename the %sytemroot%\WindowsUpdate.log
Rename the %sytemroot%\system32\catroot2

net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start sens
net start cryptsvc
I had to start the computer in safe mode to actually remove the files listed.
Once they were gone, windows update loaded again.
This whole problem may have happened because I didn't erase my hard drive before installing Vista Ultimate x64 from Premium x86 even though I selected clean install.

I've posted this solution for any users who have the same problem and are searching the forums.

Back