VMware HA/FT costs for training lab

Hi

I've dabbled with virtualization for a years, mostly Hyper-V and some VMware workstation, but I'd like to get more involved with commercial grade virtualization with VMware, specifically things like ESX and high availability/fault tolerance.

I know that this stuff is costly, and not the sort of money I would want to spend from my own personal budget, even if it is to further my own career (not when we're talking thousands anyway), so does anyone know whether these features (HA etc), and the features that having licencing for these features allow (such as Vmotion) are available under any kind of learning licence?

I understand of course why they are costly, and I understand why VMware wouldn't want to go giving these licences away, but it seems silly that they don't allow people on a budget to learn their technology, when those people might eventually be more likely to recommend their technologies if they have the product knowledge to start with?

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Use the free evaluation licenses like everybody else, or if you don't want to be bothered periodically rebuilding your lab then buy VMUG Advantage.

I just do the 60 day evaluation of vSphere. Most of what I need it for is to test things out before doing it in production or for my own education. I'm using a beefy desktop with internal storage, nothing elaborate.

Back