VPN recomendations

Mr. Baz

2[H]4U
I'm looking for some VPN routers to connect 3 different offices to the main office. There are only like 2-3 computers at each location.

I was looking at Sonicwall, but they are a little too pricey for what I need.

Which would be a better router:
Linksys BEFVP41
or
Linksys RV042

With either one, at each remote office, could I simply go with a Linksys BEFSX41 for the endpoint? It only supports 2 tunnels, but the only tunnel it will have is the one connecting back to the main office.

If you go with the Linksys Variety, Use an RV series as the central point, specifically the RV082 at least (double the processor speed and memory of the 042 and built-in PPTP VPN). The BEFVP's are "decent" for edge duty, but not core. Otherwise, might use the 042 for Remote loc's.

that's all assuming that you don't want to go true business grade (Cisco, etc).

I've done about 20 installs of the RV082 and RV016 models.

I love them! Fantastic "bang for the buck"

I even run an RV082 at home now, prior to that, besides a 1/2 dozen other routers, I ran IPCop and ISA2K4...but the RV082 is so dang fast and stable...it's nice.

VPN...I prefer the PPTP server...bulletproof. Their IPSec QuickVPN client is a little touch..well, just like most other IPSec clients...the remote machine needs to be clean.

They just released a major firmware upgrade a month ago, for the RV082...raised router throughput to 200 megs. Version 1.3.2...so any other RV082 users out there..upgrade. It also fixed a router to router VPN tunnel reconnect..making it much faster renegotiating if the tunnel drops for some reason.

I'm using these over Cisco PIX501 and Sonicwall routers from now on...my experience has been that good with them.

YeOldeStonecat said:
I've done about 20 installs of the RV082 and RV016 models.

I love them! Fantastic "bang for the buck"

I even run an RV082 at home now, prior to that, besides a 1/2 dozen other routers, I ran IPCop and ISA2K4...but the RV082 is so dang fast and stable...it's nice.

VPN...I prefer the PPTP server...bulletproof. Their IPSec QuickVPN client is a little touch..well, just like most other IPSec clients...the remote machine needs to be clean.

They just released a major firmware upgrade a month ago, for the RV082...raised router throughput to 200 megs. Version 1.3.2...so any other RV082 users out there..upgrade. It also fixed a router to router VPN tunnel reconnect..making it much faster renegotiating if the tunnel drops for some reason.

I'm using these over Cisco PIX501 and Sonicwall routers from now on...my experience has been that good with them.
Based on what I'm hearing, I'm going to take a deeper look into these.

Have a spare one you could send me?

Whats the benefit you'd get with running a VPN instead of using remote desktop??

QJ

QwertyJuan said:
Whats the benefit you'd get with running a VPN instead of using remote desktop??

QJ

A VPN connects to remote network LAN segments. RDC is simply a means to virtually connect one PC to another and use it.

Mr. Baz said:
A VPN connects to remote network LAN segments. RDC is simply a means to virtually connect one PC to another and use it.

I realize that, but besides the 'technicalities' what can you do with VPN you can't with remote desktop?? Would the only benefit be not having a machine at the workplace running and waiting for people to connect to it??

QJ

"Flexibility"

I realize Remote Desktop is considered quite secure...but you never know..eventually, or a machine not kept up to date with patches, etc...

It's nice to not have to open/forward ports on the router...that exposes services of any kind. You can simply leave your NAT totally closed.

Say you have several employees that wish to connect. Sure...you can go in, edit the registry..and change the ports that various desktops will use on RDC host mode...and go through the ordeal of opening/fowarding allll those ports (also going back to exposing services)....

Or just leave everything buttoned up tight, use nice secure VPN, and leave all your default ports for RDC...all nice 'n easy.

Ok, so do these VPN devices come with software to load on peoples machines to allow them to access the network??

QJ

QwertyJuan said:
Ok, so do these VPN devices come with software to load on peoples machines to allow them to access the network??

QJ

Usually...yes. Some are only IPSec VPN servers...so they will require a software client. For example, Sonicwalls have their Global VPN client, Cisco routers come with their Cisco dialer, The Linksys RV0 we're talking about here...Linksys has their own "QuickVPN Client" software.

And some routers also can be run as a plain PPTP VPN server, such as the Linksys RV0 series...in which case you can use the native VPN dialer that's built into Windows. I actually prefer this...as for part time remote connections..PPTP VPN is fine with me. And it's generally 100% bulletproof in getting it up and running. Where as...using IPSec client software.....that can get touchy on some computers...as they need to be squeeky clean. And generally IPSec software doesn't get along with other brands of IPSec software..if you have two different brands installed on the same machine..they often won't get along with each other and probably not work.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Usually...yes. Some are only IPSec VPN servers...so they will require a software client. For example, Sonicwalls have their Global VPN client, Cisco routers come with their Cisco dialer, The Linksys RV0 we're talking about here...Linksys has their own "QuickVPN Client" software.

And some routers also can be run as a plain PPTP VPN server, such as the Linksys RV0 series...in which case you can use the native VPN dialer that's built into Windows. I actually prefer this...as for part time remote connections..PPTP VPN is fine with me. And it's generally 100% bulletproof in getting it up and running. Where as...using IPSec client software.....that can get touchy on some computers...as they need to be squeeky clean. And generally IPSec software doesn't get along with other brands of IPSec software..if you have two different brands installed on the same machine..they often won't get along with each other and probably not work.

I see a couple of clients mentioned in this thred, do any of the support GINA? I know The Cisco VPN client does and I also think the Microsoft's pptp does because it's part of the MS stack and probably viewd as another DUN type connection.

QwertyJuan said:
Can my IPCop be setup to do this??

QJ

It can, there are some issues, the documentation right now is poor. They are working on updating the documentation and as I understand they are working on making it easier to do VPN.

One thing you can do with multiple sites, and VPN Routers is create a site to site VPN, which means all machines within the two networks are able to reach each other. So if I have 10 servers at work, and I have a remote office, I set up the VPN router there, get a VPN connection between that Router and our Corporate VPN server/firewall/whatever. I can then go to that remote site open my laptop, and connect up just like I was at my desk, but only a bit slower.

VPN allows access to all machines in the network, not just one machine like RDP does.

ianshot said:
VPN allows access to all machines in the network, not just one machine like RDP does.

Worded a bit clumsy...
VPN is the means of connection, RDP is the application..you can access all the machines if your connection is there. When you open/forward ports on the WAN side of the router to allow RDC to connect..yes..they're being pointed 1x LAN machine at a time, per port. Whereas VPN can bypass that port forwarding limitation, and can (if setup that way) allow access to all/any resources/services on the LAN side.

Back