Wanna try Vista, don't have a DVD.

Episode666

n00b
I have a spare hard drive and I'd like to give the newest Vista build a whirl. The problem is, this computer does not have a DVD drive. The only way I can play a DVD is mounting an image to a virtual drive, but I could never do that to load an OS, since it's done... well, outside of the OS.

How can I get in on the hot Vista action without a DVD drive? Is it even possible?

n3g471v3 d3c1b3l said:
cool.. I'm going to try that too! :cool:
I'm not 100% sure what route my buddy took with the article (it points out a couple different methods), but it did work for him.

-Ray

Kingpin said:
Um just poweriso or deamon tools and mount the iso and install...done

how would you suggest using daemon or poweriso without a working OS to load the program?

On a side note, DVD drives are so cheap right now. You can get a DVD writer for under $40, and plain DVD-ROM drives for half that.

i downloaded vista, but i can not burn it to a bootable dvd says iso to big? burned it to a data dvd but can not get it to load.

sdiver said:
i downloaded vista, but i can not burn it to a bootable dvd says iso to big? burned it to a data dvd but can not get it to load.
Burn it as an image. That's a whole separate option from choosing what kind of DVD. The image is already bootable.

what djnes said... dude, DVD drives are cheap. get in the now! get a dvd drive. Crap, they're cheaper than socks! and more useful too!

Prince Precious said:
what djnes said... dude, DVD drives are cheap. get in the now! get a dvd drive. Crap, they're cheaper than socks! and more useful too!
Where do you buy you socks? Silk made socks imported from France using 1Day FedEx?

illumina315 said:
how would you suggest using daemon or poweriso without a working OS to load the program?

Assuming he's running WinXP right now, this would actually work. Since Vista uses an image based installer, once it copies all the files (before the reboot), IIRC it doesn't need the DVD anymore.

spend $30 and move into this century? DVD drives are absolutely dirt cheap.

Episode666 said:
Ok, I'm gonna try that.

Warning, the following may be a stupid question:
One more thing though, I'm 32-bit, not 64-bit. Would using Vista 64 be a bad idea?

Thanks again.

The steps mentions should work for a 32bit version of vista. Unless your machine supports 64bit the 64bit copy will not install at all. Personaly I agree with the others on just buying a dvd drive though. Yes the steps in the other forum will work. With that said I picked up a 18x dvd burner from newegg for 31 bucks plus shipping. Better way to go in my mind.

Back