Want to build a new gaming PC. (under 1000$)

Owskie

Limp Gawd
I am still running a 1.8ghz PC and it is way beyond time I updated. I play alot of PC games and would like it to stay up to date for awhile. I play alot of FPS's and MMO's.

I would like to build something around 500$ dollars. I already have an amazing monitor, a great dvd burner a mouse and a keyboard.

Unfortunately when I look around the forums everything seems to be gibberish to me, it has been awhile since I have built a PC. So I am definatley going to need some help figuring this out.

I also work in radio and have to edit alot of audio and video...

Thanks for your help.

Here are some things I was looking at, this comes to a little more than i am willing to spend, but lets figure something out.

790X ATX AMD Motherboard

ASUS Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CORSAIR 650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX -

I was thinking an IPS panel for it to be amazing hehe. The 5750 won't run all games at max settings. It really depends on what game you are playing.

any monitor that costs 600 dollars is amazing to me! haha..
i think its about time i got a pc that can play crysis on max settings and anything that is out, if that calls for a video card upgrade in the future that is fine, but like i said what ever i build i want to make sure it isnt obsolete in a few days :)

Mobo combo is for the ASUS M479XTD EVO, but tbh thats even better.
Also, get a 5770 instead. It should run most games at very nice speeds on your current screen, and in the future you could just get a 2nd 5770 (at future "reduced" prices) and just crossfire the damn things (at 8x/8x but that isnt a prob for 5770)

i searched the 5770 and got like 50 different versions of the card... ahaha, ... hmmm

There's no way you can get a X3 720 cpu, 790X mobo, Radeon HD 5770, HDD, Case and PSU on a $500 budget. You looking at $600-$650

i searched the 5770 and got like 50 different versions of the card... ahaha, ... hmmm

Get ASUS or SAPPHIRE or XFX (better warranty).

HardwareGuru is right though, expand your wallet a little bit.

what is the difference in that mobo drop?

it is really hard to expand my wallet. unfortunately i work at a radio station where i intern and therefore make no money at all, my only other job is writing a book which again won't pay until i have finished it.

it seems that the gigabyte mobo has had a few people make this complaint...

Cons: It's stable when it boots, but I have to do 3 times power reset or pull the cord to boot
after restart. Annoying and unusable remotely.
Restarts brings the system down, but never back up. Have to reset 3 times again. Will replace with Asus if there's no workaround.

hear anything about that?

it seems that the gigabyte mobo has had a few people make this complaint...

Cons: It's stable when it boots, but I have to do 3 times power reset or pull the cord to boot
after restart. Annoying and unusable remotely.
Restarts brings the system down, but never back up. Have to reset 3 times again. Will replace with Asus if there's no workaround.

hear anything about that?

Nope. We've recommended that mobo quite a few times here on the forums and never heard of any such issue.

What do you plan to use for the OS? I am guessing xp of your old system?

From what I understand most games only support two cores. So having four will not improve your gaming. The only game I know that supports quads is Supreme Commander. And if you plan to play that game, I would use a quad.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz has three cores and is generally recommended because it's a very good OCer and you can even possibly unlock the 4th core at the "typical" 3.6GHz OC.

Well if no one has any other suggestions this seems like a solid build, thank you all for your time!

I will throw in a build.

Coolermaster Elite RC-332 for $49.99 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119189

Antec Earthwatts EA650 for $79.99 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

Seagate Barracuda 500GB Sata Drive for $54.99 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHZ + GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H for $193.99 ($15 MIR) + $8 shipping on Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.295032

XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB + Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB DDR3 for $264.98 ($20 MIR) w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.300041

Total: $643.94 + $8 shipping on the Mobo = $651.94

A Radeon HD 4890 1GB should give you monster performance at 1680 x 1050

The Antec VSK-2000 case + Antec Earrthwatts 500 combo I don't feel it's that good of a deal because no free shipping on any of these items. You will pay an additional $20 extra for shipping cost.

Do you have to use AMD for the cpu???

evga P55:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188054&cm_re=p55-_-13-188-054-_-Product $149

Core i5:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=core_i5_750_processor-_-19-115-215-_-Product $199

Good ol Corsair DDR3:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=corsair_ddr3_4gb-_-20-145-260-_-Product $92

XFX 5770:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0447&cm_re=hd_5770_1gb-_-14-150-447-_-Product $179

Corsair Power:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9005&cm_re=corsair_psu-_-17-139-005-_-Product $89

You can buy a copy of W7 Pro on eBay for under $100, I've done it twice already.

So...........$708 without a OS or HDD. Pretty good system, that CPU and MB will overclock well. The GPU is a good one and should run a 20" monitor like a beast. I have a similar monitor for my daughter and a HD 4870 512MB GPU runs most everything full out. The PSU will last forever.

Last edited:
@hardwareguru what is the difference between that and what was already suggested?

The build that gwarren put together he has the Radeon 5770 video card and also the Antec VSK-2000 case + Antec Earrthwatts 500 combo. His build is actually good and meets your needs. My build costs a little more but offers more power in terms of the PSU which the Antec EA650 has 45A on the +12V vs 34A on the +12V with the Antec EA500D power supply. The Antec EA500 PSU was $69.99 w/free shipping a few days ago. Now, it's $74.99 w/o shipping. I don't feel this is such a great deal now because for $5 more you can get the EA650 for $79.99 w/free shipping. On top of that, the Antec Case does not have shipping also. Shipping will be a good $20 added for both the case and psu. The Radeon 5770 video is the newer video card with DX 11 support and Shader Model 5.0 support with lower power consumption than the Radeon HD 4890 1GB. But, in terms of performance in games, the Radeon 4890 will beat the Radeon HD 5770 especially at higher res with AA and AF setting enabled. The smaller 128bit memory interface won't keep up with the Radeon 4890 which has a 256bit memory interface. If you looking at the game Crysis, The 5770 won't deliver vs the Radeon HD 4890 video card. If your going to play Crysis, I suggest you don't do 4X AA and 16X AF. The game will not be smooth. I actually would not bother with the AA enabled and just turn up all the video settings in Crysis and Crysis Warhead. Enabling AA really does slow the game down. You can try 2X AA if want to. But personally, I feel if you run the game at 1680x1050 res with all the video setting on high to very high it will look pretty good already.

Last edited:
hmm, i could eventually crossfire that Radeon 4890? yes? are the direct x11 and shader features worth it?

If you're someone that does not upgrade that often, than the DX 11 and Shadel Model 5.0 feature would last longer because it will support the newer games. But, as far as Crossfire 4890s, not worth it for only a 1680 x 1050 res.

hmm, i could eventually crossfire that Radeon 4890? yes? are the direct x11 and shader features worth it?

I'd say that yes, eventually they will be worth it this time around.
DX10 really never got anywhere, with few exceptions.
Given W7 is much more system friendly, I think DX11 will be more successful and quicker adopted on more titles.

You can always Crossfire the 5770 as well.:D

I think you could do well on the Intel based setup I chose, give it a look see.

If you're someone that does not upgrade that often, than the DX 11 and Shadel Model 5.0 feature would last longer because it will support the newer games. But, as far as Crossfire 4890s, not worth it for only a 1680 x 1050 res.

I don't fully agree.
Once more demanding titles hit the street, dual GPUs are valuable at any resolution if you want to put the graphics options up as high as they will go......and still have good frame rates.

I guess what I am seeing is that the Radeon 4890 performs better than the 5770, yet doesn't have directx 11 which may or may not take off, but if it takes off i may regret not getting the 5770. Seeing as I don't upgrade often, it may be the better choice.

What video card do you have now? I bet anything would be light years ahead of it.

Right now? haha a 9800 pro, this was top of the line when i got it. :X

i have to say Owskie like they said expand your wallet a bit more. I was in the same boat as you wanted to build a Quick pc for gaming and the more i looked at what i was getting i really didnt like what i seen. im in the process of building now and the route i went now im glad i spent alot more on the system.

I ended up spending about 850 thats with x2 5770's and even tho its almsot finished im pleased already lol. WoW a 9800 Pro i havent seen one in ages

Well.. you can try just to see how it does but, maxing everything out on Crysis will slow the game down regardless whether you have a Radeon 5770 or Radeon HD 4890 1GB. You won't be playing the game smoothly. If you're maxing out the game, then all the video settings in Crysis will be all on Very High and AA and AF all on high also. You can try this out first and then turn down the setting little by little until you get the best balance of image quality/performance that you feel comfortable with.

are you suggesting i dont try crysis full tilt with either card?

sorry for stealing your thread i got a quick video question while im here. can the 5770 run 1920x1080? single gpu or would you need to crossfire for that res?

That price isnt doable for me, i may buy an extra card to crossfire in the future... but, i just have to decide between the 4890 or the 5770... bah.

Yes, A 5770 video card can run 1920 x 1080. It really depends on the person on how he/she wants to set the game and what particular game he/she plays. For example, you can play games like Left For Dead, Quake Wars, Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament 3, Team Fortress, Fear, Bioshock at 1920 x 1080 with high settings on a Radeon HD 5770. Not all games will perform the same under that resolution. Games like Crysis, Call of Juarez, Stalker, World in Conflict will definitely struggle and not put out as much fps at 1920 x 1080 resolution. Either turn down the video settings, or, run the game at a lower res like 1600 x 900 resolution. That is what I had to do when I played Crysis on my 24" Gateway and 28" Hanns-G monitors. No way I could have played Crysis and Crysis Warhead at 1920 x 1200 resolution. I had to drop the games resolution to 1440 x 900 and have the video setting set on high and not enable AA and AF.

sorry for stealing your thread i got a quick video question while im here. can the 5770 run 1920x1080? single gpu or would you need to crossfire for that res?

I guess crossfire is needed now days? Its been so long since I have been around in the PC world.

Back