Warcraft macro question

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking for help with a specific macro.

What I'd like to is heal my focus target with word of glory without taking my eyes off my primary target.

This would be for boss fights and arena. I can continue to beat on my primary target and throw out a heal.

I don't want to deselect my current target and have to find it again. This would be in addition to VuhDo add on healing.

/cast [target=focus] Word of Glory

That would work, I'm pretty sure.

YES. That syntax is exactly what I was missing. I'll post once I try it out. Thanks.

I was doing

/tar focus

Instead of what you suggested.

How about casting one if two spells depending which one is not on cool down?
Like rebuke versus avengers shield? With preference to avengers shield? Clearly against a hostile toon or mob.

Thanks.

How about casting one if two spells depending which one is not on cool down?
Like rebuke versus avengers shield? With preference to avengers shield? Clearly against a hostile toon or mob.

Thanks.
Can't do that, anymore. They killed most of the "smart" macro functions. You can build a cast sequence macro that just alternates performing one spell or the other every time you hit it, though.

Can't do that, anymore. They killed most of the "smart" macro functions. You can build a cast sequence macro that just alternates performing one spell or the other every time you hit it, though.

For something like what the OP is requesting, if it's cooldown-based simply attempt to cast the cooldown spell first, then cast the non-cooldown spell second. The macro will only perform one action--either the cooldown spell will fire, or the non-cooldown spell will fire.

This used to be how it operated, so people would write macros that you could hit a button and it'd activate your trinket, then hit the same button and it'd activate your second trinket, push it again and you'd cast a spell. The same button would be used to cast that spell unless a trinket's cooldown was up, then it'd use the trinket.

Hopefully this functionality still exists!

You would be better off just adding in a shift modifier to the macro IMO. That way, if you just press the key it will do one spell, but if you hold shift and press the key it will use another spell.

The macro would be:

#showtooltip *spell 1*
/cast [modifier:shift] *spell 2*
/cast [nomodifier] *spell 1*

You could also set up your WoG macro this way:

#showtooltip Word of Glory
/cast [modifier:shift,target=focus] Word of Glory
/cast [nomodifier] Word of Glory

That macro would simply cast WoG on your current target if you press the key, or if you hold shift and press the key it would cast WoG on your focus target (w/o changing your current target like you wanted)

edit: I am also fairly sure you can leave out the [nomodifier] parts if you'd like, and just have it say /cast *spell*. It should work the same either way though.

How about this.

A macro to cast avenger shield then rebuke.

Now if avenger shield is on cd it goes to rebuke. If avenger shield is available it does that and stops.

Next time I use the macro it starts from the beginning. Is that considered a non usable macro?

Basically it is the same chain macro, but I don't know how to avoid casting avenger shield and rebuke. Only one needs to be cast at a time.

Last edited:
How about this.

A macro to cast avenger shield then rebuke.

Now if avenger shield is on cd it goes to rebuke. If avenger shield is available it does that and stops.

Next time I use the macro it starts from the beginning. Is that considered a non usable macro?

Basically it is the same chain macro, but I don't know how to avoid casting avenger shield and rebuke. Only one needs to be cast at a time.

You can set up a sequence of spells using the following:

/castsequence spell 1, spell 2, spell 3, etc.

Using that macro, once the last spell in the list is cast, your next press will cause spell 1 to be cast again. I don't know how this would work with an ability with a cooldown though. If I had to take a guess, I would say that it wouldn't work at all since it would probably be considered a "smart" macro. As someone mentioned before, Blizzard killed macros like that a long time ago because you could basically have one button play the game for you. Castsequence macros are generally looked down upon in the raiding scene, but I have known a few people who used them for trash pulls (so they could basically be half afk).

I do believe that you can put a sequence reset modifier into a cast sequence macro.

So for example the macro would be spell 1, spell 2, spell 3, with a reset of 20 seconds. Hit the key three times rapidly it casts the three spells in order. Hit the key once, it casts spell 1, wait 20 seconds, hit the key again, it casts spell 1 again.

his used to be how it operated, so people would write macros that you could hit a button and it'd activate your trinket, then hit the same button and it'd activate your second trinket, push it again and you'd cast a spell. The same button would be used to cast that spell unless a trinket's cooldown was up, then it'd use the trinket.
This definitely still works because trinket use and spells don't share the same cooldown and can be cast simultaneously. I have macros like that for all of my characters.

edit: You don't even have to hit the button 3 times. Trinkets don't activate the GCD so they can be cast simultaneously and they won't prevent a spell from being cast at the same time. The only thing that you can't simultaneously is spells and that's why smart macros don't work anymore.

I remember back in the early days the pvp shaman go-to was popping two caster trinkets, elemental fury, nature's swiftness and lightning bolt in one macro. Was like a guaranteed 1500 hit back when dudes only walked around with maybe 2000 hp.

Last edited:
most if not all trinkets, trigger a separate universal trinket GCD of 20 seconds.

you can macro the following trinket usage to your most spammed skill and each one will get used when they're not on cd:

Code:
#showtooltip spell name
/use 13
/use 14
/cast spell name

13 and 14 and obviously the trinket slot #'s on your character, you can also say /use trinket name but then you have to change it each time you get a diff trinket. Hitting that macro once causes trinket in 13 slot to activate, trinket in 14 slot to go on a 20 sec cd (not used) and the casts the spell with one press. You can then continue to spam that macro and it will cast the spell every time... 20 sec later trinket 14 will be used if not on cd of course

For my DK on dps I usually macro that into Scourge Strike and add a /startattack so if I don't have runes up, it'll still start my 'white dmg' swings (might be /start attack, I forget)

Code:
#showtooltip Scourge Strike
/start attack
/use 13
/use 14
/cast Scourge Strike

Really? I could have sworn that my macro was using both trinkets, but now that you mention it, I was "testing" by seeing if both went on CD, which according to your post doesn't mean both got used. Hmm...

It does trigger a CD on the trinkets.

Edit. I have to find out if avenging wrath shares cd with trinkets.

I do find that I don't use my dps trinket often in the midst of Pvp. Very new to it. If I macro it to my major dps spell, I'm sure it'll help.

With tips from this thread I made my word of glory macro. We went 7-3 yesterday which is much better than 4-6 the week before. Of course it's my second week of arena, ever. So there is a significant learning curve.

Now I have to figure out a defensive cool down macro.

Back