Warm: Buffalo WHR-G125 Wireless-G 125mbit router $39.99 shipped! (DD-WRT capable!)

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
https://shop4.outpost.com/product/5231097

Buffalo WHR-G125 Wireless-G 125mbit router @ $39.99 w/ FREE shipping

This router normally sells for around $50 so at $10 off and free shipping I'd call this warm, and these are hard to find in stock many places because they are getting popular with the DD-WRT crowd. The DD-WRT guys are saying that these babies have quite a bit more radio power than the old Linksys WRT54G series, especially on the RX side of things.

They can be easily flashed to the v24 builds of DD-WRT via TFTP just like the older Buffalo WHR-G54s. Hell Fry's is even ADVERTISING that fact! :)

I just snagged two of 'em!

these have 240MHz procs instead of 200MHz, fyi

Yup, that combined with the increased radio perfomance (again according to tests done by the DD-WRT folks) makes this a winner in my book. I might even have to retire a couple of the WRT54G I have in service and replace them with these. :)

I picked up at a Buffalo WRT-G54S the other day (pretty much the same as this one) and I wasn't impressed. It couldn't handle my load of Newsgroups and Bittorent. Even with the DD-WRT flash I wasn't impressed. Went back to my nearly faultless ZyXel X-550.

I picked up at a Buffalo WRT-G54S the other day (pretty much the same as this one) and I wasn't impressed. It couldn't handle my load of Newsgroupd and Bittorent. Even with the DD-WRT flash I wasn't impressed. Went back to my nearly faultless ZyXel X-550.
Exact same here, except this was about 6 months ago. I picked up the X-550 at CompUSA on sale for about $40.

The X-550 is a much superior router.

I picked up at a Buffalo WRT-G54S the other day (pretty much the same as this one) and I wasn't impressed. It couldn't handle my load of Newsgroupd and Bittorent. Even with the DD-WRT flash I wasn't impressed. Went back to my nearly faultless ZyXel X-550.

Thanks for your input, but the WHR-G54S and the WHR-G125 are (effectively) two different routers.

Also like all broadcom based routers they need certain tweaks if you're going to use them for Bittorrent and a few other P2P applications, otherwise the WAN connection will bog down and cause the router to respond slowly. These are well known and easily resolved issues, and are well documented in not only the DD-WRT Wiki but also the documentation for other third party firmwares.

Have fun with your Zyxel and thanks again.for your input. :)

T These are well known and easily resolved issues, and are well documented in not only the DD-WRT Wiki but also the documentation for other third party firmwares.

Have fun with your Zyxel and thanks again.for your input. :)
They are indeed well known, but not easily resolved. There are certainly tweaks that apparently make things better, but even after implementing them it simply can't handle moderate torrent traffic, period.

But, you're right, the WHR is a different router than the WGR.

Read in several places that antenna is fixed on WHR-G125.

Picture looks like it is fixed.

Does anyone have one that can confirm?

I also had a WHR-G54S that suffered under DD-WRT. After about a month it had to be completely reset about once a day. After the second month it would only stay up about 5 minutes.

I put Tomato on a second WHR-G54S and have had no problems.

The antenna is not fixed.

It can be freely rotated in any direction and bent 90 degrees.

This picture should clear it up:
http://www.buffalotech.com/images/products/WHR-G125-back-lg.jpg

Sorry

I used the wrong word. Should have used detachable or removable instead of fixed.

Can the antenna be detached?

There is discussion here:

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=223426

"whr-g125 has a non-removable 2dBi ant. attached via coax to the pcb.

whr-hp-g125 has a 4 dBi ant. with a rp-sma ant jack that is attached to the pcb via coax."

I have not used BT with the Tomato on Buffalo routers.

i'm using whrg54s with tomato. works alright but wireless is incredibly weak. also likes to occasionally crash / reboot

kind of wanting to try this, but i don't know

i really liked my old motorola wr850g that was free or 5ar. ran ddwrt like a champ

I have the WHR-HPG54 and it is a good little router. it is much better than my netgears that I had to reset once or twice a day. I have never had to restart my Buffalos using the newest version of DD-WRT oh, and I do use Utorrent as well. I have not even played with QOS settings if memory serves but I may have enabled it and tweaked it a little.

My understnading is the G125 has a higher max speed, and faster processor but the HP unit will deliver a better signal.

I have the WHR-HPG54 and it is a good little router. it is much better than my netgears that I had to reset once or twice a day. I have never had to restart my Buffalos using the newest version of DD-WRT oh, and I do use Utorrent as well. I have not even played with QOS settings if memory serves but I may have enabled it and tweaked it a little.

My understnading is the G125 has a higher max speed, and faster processor but the HP unit will deliver a better signal.

I believe afterburner (125) can be enabled with ddwrt/tomato on the g54's too

i use the D-Link DGL-4300 and its great for torrents and for my lappy :). no complaints here!

although i can't use bridge mode with it, which would make it perfect, thats ok. my apartments not that big anyways ;)

If anyone is looking to upgrade from a really old router (i came from a MN-500 upgraded to WHR-G54S..slightly older than this one) this is probably the best choice there is, just flash with DD-WRT and you're set! Pretty cheap, even for me, with good performance and lots of features.

I use the WHR-G54s with DD-WRT as a wireless bridge for my XBOX 360 instead of buying the $99 adapter. It works great. I'm sure this would work even better due to the increased specs.

Back