Warm deal: Roku 2 XS $75

So my mom has been using her tivo for streaming for some time.. Well she came to visit me & within a day of using my Roku XS's she decided she wanted one.. She likes the games of all things & She actually ordered this from Amazon last night..

I've got 3 of these in my house. All connected via ethernet for streaming all my media via Plex. I really like them. And the Angry Birds app is pretty fun.

wow it's now a smokin hot deal on d-link router

Yeah that page updates every 24 hours showing something different. And that does appear to be a pretty good deal on the router. Almost worthy of its own thread.

I bought it from 1saleaday.com a couple weeks ago and it came looking brand new minus the fancy box. So far it's been a great device and I use it in conjunction with my Plex server.

You have to use plex to serve to the Roku? That's nuts.

My WDTV plays the raw files right from my network shares /shrug

You have to use plex to serve to the Roku? That's nuts.

My WDTV plays the raw files right from my network shares /shrug

& the ROKU will play most HD stuff (doesnt play standard xvid) but regardless, plex makes it better. It essentially catalog's everything & grabs the metadata & allows for some much more in dept searches & being able to read the movie synopsis right from its native interface..

Dang for $15 I almost want to buy that router. Even if you just used it as a 4 port gigabit hub it would still be a descent deal.

Never heard of this. Is there anything this is good for if you have a smart tv?

Being able to stream movies from a local server really makes it a better experience. As far as usining Hulu or Netflix probably not a big deal. But I love watching movies on our Apple TV 3. Its all sorted and labeled. I can have playlists, like if I just want to start kids shows. Or just want to peruse Science Fiction movies. And then it goes straight into playing the movie, no having to watch 3 minutes of FBI warnings and previews.

I just recently bought the Roku LT. Plex is amazing. I am still kicking myself for paying for XBox Live the past 2 years.

A Roku with Plex is leaps and bounds better than a WDTV. Hate to burst your bubble.

No bubbles bursted, just learning. I didn't know what the purpose of Plex was in this scenario, I assumed transcoding to a usable format. I didn't know that it was for syncing meta data, etc.

Start a movie on your HTPC, stop it and head upstairs, resume it on the roku, head to bed and finish the movie on your phone.

Just one usage scenario for Plex.

Totally forgot I bought this yesterday until I looked at my bank statement online today. Oh well from what I've been reading here it sounds like I made a decent impulse purchase. I really just want it to give my older HDTV some Smart TV functionality so I can watch Amazon Instant Video without having to boot up my PC or PS3 which always feels like such a waste of power to just watch some random tv show before bed.

Thanks for posting the refurb link.

Dang for $15 I almost want to buy that router. Even if you just used it as a 4 port gigabit hub it would still be a descent deal.

I was very tempted.. Mostly to have incase I fry my linksys as I kinda want to give dd-wrt a shot, but I am a bit too timid to do it when I dont ahve a backup.

I was very tempted.. Mostly to have incase I fry my linksys as I kinda want to give dd-wrt a shot, but I am a bit too timid to do it when I dont ahve a backup.

I did it on a my Cisco Valet that I got free from MS (came bundled with a 3 pack of Win7 Home Premium) and never looked back. I am still using the first release for my router despite many updates because it has been rock solid from day 1.

Back