Warm for B&M: Microcenter brand Sandforce 64gb SSD $99

It certainly blows Intel's 40gb for 99$ offering away...

there it go, flying off in the horizon....

*sparkle*

Not a bad deal. I'm still waiting for another $1 for GB SSD deal.

Man, I just don't know how Microcenter does it....they are really really the flame under alot of big names asses.

Dallas store showed 11 in stock on the webpage....sales rep said they had 0.

Was hoping to get 2 :(

i'd go back and talk to somebody else because the website displays real-time inventory counts.

Ya i relooked it up and it was down to 9 left in stock. So I went back and this time showed him the SKU. Got 2 of them.

I think he was looking up the older housebrand SSD they had.

Microcenter can offer great deals because other stuff is generally higher in price. That is the way B&M stores roll.

As for the stock they have some really disorganized shelves in those places. Sometimes they have whole product lines which you would never know existed if you did not see it in the add. They keep them outback but I have no idea how you would know that they have it at all since there are no signs or displays to tell you that. Alot of times you really have to know exactly what you want and hope the sales rep has a clue.

Anyone know what the 930s are priced at now? They aren't showing up on the website for me. I purchased one about two weeks ago from MC for $199 and I'm wondering if I can get a price match on the new 930 price (if there is one) or if maybe they would let me exchange the 930 for a 950 (unlikely I know I've read their return policy on CPUs).Only reason I wish I had gotten a 950 now is for the higher mutli since I've got some really crappy ram that doesn't go much past 1066 (Current 930 does 4GHz pretty easy)..
the 950 is at 199 right now, most stores have many in stock, as for your 930, you can exchange it no problem with packaging. just tell them its defective and you want to swap it out. and you will be on your merry way.

the 950 is at 199 right now, most stores have many in stock, as for your 930, you can exchange it no problem with packaging. just tell them its defective and you want to swap it out. and you will be on your merry way.

LOL Oh Geez sry I totally posted in the wrong MC deal thread. Obviously this was meant for the i7 950 thread. Not really sure how I feel about lying to them but thanks for the reply. :)

Last edited:
Ya i relooked it up and it was down to 9 left in stock. So I went back and this time showed him the SKU. Got 2 of them.

I think he was looking up the older housebrand SSD they had.

awesome! congrats on the purchase. i upgraded my SSDs to Sandforce SSDs a couple weeks ago (but paid about $50 more for my pair than you did).

fwiw, i used Acronis True Image Home 2011 (with the Plus Pack so it can handle Raid arrays) to clone my Windows OS from my old SSD-based Raid 0 array to my new Raid 0 array. it was a quick and painless solution ... Acronis had no problems recognizing the arrays and SSDs, and i was up and running again in under 15 minutes.

also, before you install, check the Adata site to see if there are any firmware updates, and check your mobo manufacturer for bios updates. my SSD and mobo manufacturers both had posted updates within the last couple weeks to address Sandforce SSD issues.

went for 2... raided them avg. read/write is 370mb/s :) for $200 and change its a good deal :)

How would two 500GB WD black hard drives for $80 in Raid vs one of these vs the 64gb ssd speed wise. I know the black drives win in storage space and 5 year warranty, but want to know the speed difference versus one of these.

How would two 500GB WD black hard drives for $80 in Raid vs one of these vs the 64gb ssd speed wise. I know the black drives win in storage space and 5 year warranty, but want to know the speed difference versus one of these.

SSD. No contest. Why not do both?

Money wise you get a lot more data for the slower Caviar black. Speed wise the SSD will be faster.

It is possible to "short stroke" a RAID 0 to have a small partition for operating system and certain programs you want to run faster. Then have a larger partion for other files.

This post shows some nice read and write speeds for a "short stroke" partition set up on RAID 0 using Caviar Black hdds.

http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives-storage/673683-performance-raid-0-3x-wd-caviar.html

I was just able to order the 64gb online even thought its supposed to be out of stock.

I went to the 128gb and used the link on there for the 64gb to add it to my cart. We'll see if it works. I really want the 128gb, but alas i don't have the funds right now.

I was just able to order the 64gb online even thought its supposed to be out of stock.

I went to the 128gb and used the link on there for the 64gb to add it to my cart. We'll see if it works. I really want the 128gb, but alas i don't have the funds right now.

The 128gb is not a sandforce drive anyways, so your 64gb will be faster :)

I did this on a guys computer I built for him. It was 2 500GB drives in RAID 0 set to a 300GB array (so only using 150GB from each drive, thus "short stroked"). It was descently fast on the big sequential reads, maybe like 150-200MB/sec. But, as is always the case with platters, that number drops sharply as the file size drops. It was great performance for $80, and even 300GB is plenty of storage for a boot drive. But platters just can't compete with SSD's all around.

For example, I did this install during the last big patch for World of Warcraft about a month ago. So I had both this computer and my own computer (in sig) do the patch at the same time and I mine did it in about 40% of the time....reading and writing all the those small files (or modifying bits of files) is where the SSD prevails.

"out of curiosity, what's your max read/write on ATTO?"

Any specific setting?

I'll grab a screen tonight to show let me know any other benchmarks you wan to see also.

i can tell you what I get with my two sandforce corsair 64 GB in raid 0 - wiht a 4k stripe raid 0 I get 480 MB/s which is pretty much all I can expect off the intel builtin controller.

mwave has the a-data equivalent ssd for 99.99 FS (and no tax for most people)

picked up two of these today

along with the $200 i7 950.. and a gigabyte board... and 12 gigs of ram... i hate microcenter

That one at mwave actually is a jmicron controller, not a sandforce.

Any specific setting?

I'll grab a screen tonight to show let me know any other benchmarks you wan to see also.

default settings. just ATTO. thanks!

fwiw, here's mine from a recently installed SSD Corsair Force (they rate their product @ 285/275) two disk raid 0 array.

atto.png

I picked one up, speeding to get there last night only to find they had enough in stock for at least a week of enthusiasts. I hate you guys and these good deals :( thanks though lol.

Microcenter can offer great deals because other stuff is generally higher in price. That is the way B&M stores roll.

The one here in Dallas knocks the socks off of the 3 local Fry's. I pretty much go to Microcenter first if I want to buy local, even though its 60 miles, versus 20 miles for a Fry's from my house.

Hell, even when I bought my i7 920, Intel Mobo and 6GB of DDR3 last year, it was easily $100 cheaper total then had I gone to Fry's or even Newegg, so it was like the memory was free (that was back when DDR3 was new and cheap).

Hell, even when I bought my i7 920, Intel Mobo and 6GB of DDR3 last year, it was easily $100 cheaper total then had I gone to Fry's or even Newegg, so it was like the memory was free (that was back when DDR3 was new and cheap).

When the i7 920 came out (like release week) and DDR3 just became enthusiast mainstream... DDR3 was expensive!!!! At least prices have been falling like a rock lately.

So since this apparently the 64GB A-data drive does it also have the buggy SandForce firmware versions that the A-data also has? link

Back