Website File Access Question

magik20

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok Lets say i want to give BOB access to files on my webserver

BUT i dont trust bob and dont want him to be able to delete anything or add anything.... just download and view it.

Also, i dont trust any of bobs friends, so i want to password lock the URL i give bob

( www.urlhere.com/hostedbobfiles )

Is this possible?

Im using 1and1.com for hosting, and the FTP they have setup doesnt let me modify the user rights

Regardless of what *can* be done, you're limited by what the web host will *allow*.

Unless 1and1 or a 1and1 subscriber in the [H] forums has a workaround....

You could use a simple Ajax-based file manager to allow user-authenticated viewing and downloading of files from anywhere on your site. I use this to give some of my users the ability to view files outside of the normal tree but it will work for just about any folder. Now, I have not used it with 1and1 so they may have restrictions that would prevent it from working.

You can use .htaccess files to lock down a directory and create users with password for said directory.

You can use .htaccess files to lock down a directory and create users with password for said directory.

That's of course assuming that the OP is using the Linux hosting option of 1and1, and also that my comments above do not trump any direct web server configurations that a user can do.

bump, still looking for a decent solution

If a software solution cannot be found that works with 1and1's configs, then start looking for webhost alternatives that can meet your technical and implementation needs.

This should work.

1 & 1 Administration -> Web Space & Access -> Protected Directories

Back