Weird but interesting new NEC Panel (22,5" full HD) Anyone have more info?

Mastakill

Limp Gawd
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/11.htm#nec_22

NEC LCD Technologies, together with its sales and marketing channels in the Americas and Europe, NEC Electronics America and NEC Electronics (Europe), has introduced a new 22.5-inch amorphous-silicon WUXGA TFT LCD module. The new panel offers a full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080, 12ms response time, 800:1 contrast ratio, 460 cd/m2 brightness, a colour gamut covering 97% of the NTSC colour space, and 176/176 viewing angles. The panel is part of NEC's own UA-SFT technology range, and will also offer a double frame rate of 120Hz to improve motion picture performance. Using this double frame rate, the LCD module can be used by customers in equipment such as high-performance motion picture monitors to improve motion picture performance using black frame rate insertion, or interframe interpolation NEC added.

In addition, a 10-bit source driver enables the module to provide 1,024 grayscale steps per each of the primary colors (RGB), thus realizing 1,073 million colors per pixel. The module attains a higher color resolution than specified by the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) standard, the de-facto standard for broadcast applications, and hence produces higher-quality images, noted the company.

The panel part reference for the new 22" module is NL192120AC25-02.
Strange that they mention 176° viewing angles and a "high" 12ms response time

this does make me wonder if it is an IPS or something else?

also the contrast is quite low for a new panel (not that i want all that DCR crap)
It also seems like a high gamut panel, which i don't really like that much either

I do like the 120hz, the usual NEC 10bit colors and the full hd on a smaller size (not 26" / 28")

but looking at the 1920x1080 resolution, it does seem more like a high end TV panel, then a monitor
also the eye burning brightness of 460cd/m2 seems more like a TV thing

i wish they would make something decent as a pc monitor and release it in Europe :/

I saw some of this propagandha material floating around and thought it was interesting. Could be a really good panel.

My question is if it can really accept a signal at 120fps, or if it works like a TV taking a 60hz signal and creating an extra frame with the data. Also a model number would be fantastic. Not to nit-pick :D

WUXGA just means 1920x1200. lately 1080p/"Full HD" is such a huge buzzword that any 1920x1200 monitor that happens to accept 1920x1080 gets called a 1080p monitor.

Strange that they mention 176° viewing angles and a "high" 12ms response time
this does make me wonder if it is an IPS or something else?

The panel is based on NEC's own "Super Fine TFT" technology, UA-SFT, so differs from S-IPS. Some info from NEC here: http://www.nec-lcd.com/en/technology/sft_viewing_angles.html

but looking at the 1920x1080 resolution, it does seem more like a high end TV panel, then a monitor
also the eye burning brightness of 460cd/m2 seems more like a TV thing

NEC did list it as a monitor module as opposed to TV, but it remains to be seen whether it will be used much in the market

Also a model number would be fantastic. Not to nit-pick

it's listed in the news piece there :) it's the NL192120AC25-02

NEC did list it as a monitor module as opposed to TV, but it remains to be seen whether it will be used much in the market

The list it as a LCD Module. It is a bare panel, of course they aren't going to call it a TV. But it does kind of scream TV to me, with its 460cd/m2 burn your eyes if you get too close, and the small pitch so you need to get close if using as a monitor.

no, i agree, it looks like it should be a TV panel, and maybe it will be incorporated in this way, or at least in some combined monitor/TV products. They do list it in their "monitor" product range though:

http://www.nec-lcd.com/en/products/monitor.html

guess we will have to wait and see if it's actually used anywhere :)

Ok, there are a bunch of strange panels there: mono lcds with 1650cd/m2 brightness, 20" with 2048x1536 resolution.

I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing a screen with this panel anytime soon for an affordable price.

Back