Well I just bought a huge nas

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
I bought the Thecus N7700 and x7 1 Tb WD 32 mb cache hd. I did not buy seagate because they die a lot faster all the time I used it compared to WD.

My current comp already have 3 1 Tb wd and i am thinking of raid 5 the Thecus nas so it will be 6 Tb extra.

Still not as big as some other ppl setup around here.

I was planning to go with a home server but I could not find any where it support many hd. There was one brand that had 5 hd and could add on another set of hd though a nas. I was thinking of building a tower but that will take up more space and use more power. so I just ended up buying a nas with 7 bays.

i was just looking at that system... looks nice, the only thing that a WHS give you is that your data is not stuck on some proprietary OS that cannot be mounted anywhere else....

also the online disk expansion of different disk sizes.

I have a WHS, and think i am going to go with a RAID 5 setup with virtual WHS using a portion of that raid 5 array....

I really dont like the data duplication (ala simple RAID 1 but not real time... i have been using WHS for about 2 months and somethings are just great... but I want Media Center on my server to record TV and not have my HTPC on all the time, and to have a backup of my WHS data...

therefore, i am going to do a RAID 5 setup w/ 4 750gb WD-GP drives and a 5th as a hotspare. with a 1TB backup drive for all important info and WHS backups of the backups :)

let us know how that thing works for you...

can it do torrents?

well. it is a nas system. which is just a network drive i think. it isnt like a server with a brain.

I was thinking of making a home server but all home server max i found is 5 Hard drives and 1 got to have the os. what is possible with this however is attaching it to a home server and let home server control it.

So it cant do torrent and stuff.

I leave my main comp all the time so that will be doing torrents and stuff with my other hard drives.

well. it is a nas system. which is just a network drive i think. it isnt like a server with a brain.

I was thinking of making a home server but all home server max i found is 5 Hard drives and 1 got to have the os. what is possible with this however is attaching it to a home server and let home server control it.

So it cant do torrent and stuff.

I leave my main comp all the time so that will be doing torrents and stuff with my other hard drives.

you can intall utorrent on WHS and access it with RDP or with utorrent webui

also you can do a custom build WHS with many drives, like many who use a norco 4020 case with 20 hotswap srives

I have the N5200 myself, with 3 X 1 TB WD GP drives in it for now in Raid 5. It's a shame that Seagate is having so many problems with the big drives right now. Would have been nice to start with 5 X 1.5s for now and expand it later.

I am very happy with my Thecus and highly recommend it to anyone who is in the market for simple, fast online storage.

Don

Back