Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor SATA 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache - $79 shipped!

Luxor

[H]ard|Gawd
Amazon has the 10k RPM Raptor SATA drive w/ 150GB of space on sale for $79

Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor SATA 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache OEM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001EQQW1A

$79 with FREE shipping

These 10,000 RPM drives are a great and much cheaper alternative to SSD drives.... much more bang, spacewise, for your buck with quicker write/read speeds of the faster 10,000 RPM drives.

Most standard drives are 7200RPM and do not load things nearly as quickly as 10k drives....

Also, incase you get taxed newegg has matched this as well (in case you live in NYC,etc) and get charged tax from amazons deal. Newegg charges tax in California and a couple other states so YMMV depending on location

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What ever happened to the Momentus XT drives? The hybrid drives. I thought those were going to end up being very popular but I never see anyone talk about them. Did they end up sucking compared to the VelociRaptor or are they better overall cost/performance?

What ever happened to the Momentus XT drives? The hybrid drives. I thought those were going to end up being very popular but I never see anyone talk about them. Did they end up sucking compared to the VelociRaptor or are they better overall cost/performance?
They're not that much better than normal HDD's but cost more.

Someday the hybrid technology may be worth using. Something where contained in one unit, you get an SSD to install applications and your OS on and also magnetic storage for bulk.

Eventually, SSD prices will be competitive to HDD's and may very well replace them.

thats pretty nice...but im sick of my raptors dying...

I'm not saying you're doing something wrong, but I've had dozens of all different sized raptor drives and not a single one has died within the 5 year warranty. Good luck on your future purchases!

My original 75Gb SATA1 raptor is still up and kicking as I type. No issues for me either.

Anywhere we can see real world testing on these models? I remember the old raptors being much better than regualr drives and ppl loved them. Not seeing any reviews taht really tempt me to buy them.

I have a Sammy 1TB HD103sj. Thaks

Edit: Doesn't seem worth it. If SSD could come down a bit more may be worth the wait.

Last edited:
These 10,000 RPM drives are a great and much cheaper alternative to SSD drives.... much more bang, spacewise, for your buck with quicker write/read speeds of the faster 10,000 RPM drives.

Most standard drives are 7200RPM and do not load things nearly as quickly as 10k drives....

While I respect your opinion,Raptors in no way, shape, or form have any business being mentioned as an alternative to an SSD. A Sandforce based SSD outperforms a 150GB by over 2x in sequential writes, and in small file writes by several orders of magnitude. A person looking to get the performance of an SSD would be doing him/herself a disservice to settle for a mechanical drive in its place.

While I respect your opinion,Raptors in no way, shape, or form have any business being mentioned as an alternative to an SSD. A Sandforce based SSD outperforms a 150GB by over 2x in sequential writes, and in small file writes by several orders of magnitude. A person looking to get the performance of an SSD would be doing him/herself a disservice to settle for a mechanical drive in its place.

That's why I put in there "spacewise" :p You're right.

I said nothing about it being quicker, just it might be a better deal for someone who needs a lot of space on a slightly faster drive (say a bunch for an HTPC setup where speed is not a huge concern)

These are still feasable for a fewwwwww people (not much but a few)

But yeah, you're right. <3

sure but find an SSD for $0.50/gb ;)

These are Best Drives after SSD. Their Seek Write Times are 1ms in RAID 0 and 4ms Read, which is 10 times better than regular drives.

Last edited:
I bought one to run my OS and the 2-3 games that I normally play. For $20 more I could have got a SSD that would hold the OS and maybe one of the games. I will wait for the SSDs to come down another 50% in price and then I will "modernize".

Tempting. I'm starting to suspect my Hitachi boot drive is holding me back a bit. SSDs are still a bit too pricey for me atm too.

I have a 150GB raptor and damn that thing is loud. its like being back in '95 with the seeking noise.

i think these VR's have toned it down a bit so thats good stuff.

I have a 150GB raptor and damn that thing is loud. its like being back in '95 with the seeking noise.

i think these VR's have toned it down a bit so thats good stuff.

The difference between sound of the raptors and velociraptors is night and day. That should not even be mentioned. I cannot hear any seek noise or anything in my case regarding hard drives. The old 150GB raptors, were insanely loud. But some people also forget your computer case can play a large role in this as well. My velociraptor is mounted on rubber washers and no metal touches the case so.....

My case fans definitely overpower any internal noise as well....

The VR's are essentially silent, its the older 3.5" models that sound like they're chewing on rocks.

Back