Western Digital 1TB My Book Essential Desktop $25 YMMV

dat722

Limp Gawd
A buddy told me about this clearanced deal so I called and reserved all 3 in my area. YMMV

Office Depot has Western Digital 1TB My Book Essential Usb2.0/3.0 for

$25 dollars plus tax.

Credit to Benjee

Last edited:
Nice!!

On my way to pick 1 or 2 at my local office depot right now. Sunrise, fl.

so I called and reserved all 3 in my area. YMMV

you know you're an a$$hole. :D jk, thanks I will check this out.

I am hurting for storage lol , i only have 2 320gb hds in raid 0, so for bang for buck this will help remove stuff onto it lol

I wonder what speed the hd is, maybe i will rip it out and use it as internal since my desktop doesnt have usb 3.0 support, or maybe get a 3.0 card or soemthing.

When I called. The guy checks computer says they got 2. Than says "let me check physically" .. comes back and says he has only 1. I got here bought the one, the casher says the worker is buying the other. Asshole lol. Guess they also checked local stores and everyone is out.

Called and was told that "We don't have that". Wonder how likely it is that the guy is just lying...

My store said they have 10 in stock so i'm going to go try and pick up all 10 tomorrow. Thanks for the share :)

From the SD Forum:

798367 = Toshiba Canvio portable 1TB - $22.xx
798349 = Toshiba Canvio portable 500GB - $17.xx
857634 = WD desktop 1TB - $24.xx
867784 = WD desktop 2TB - $37.xx

The hard drive is
western digital wd10earx caviar green

Was planing to run these raid 0 as my main drives, but I think i will keep my old seagate 7200.10s as main drives and raid these for storage.

The 2nd one I drove about 40 minutes for.. Called the store first and said they had 3, so girl put one on hold for me. When I get there, manager says they sold all out of them and that they do not hold items that are on clearance. She said alot of people been coming in asking for them. Another employee heard this and said she just bought one, and she will return it so I can buy it. So we did that.

I do feel guilty though because that girl was cute and probably needed it more than I did. lol

Thanks. I picked up four from the stores around Oakland county in MI.

Doing more research on these drives, seems like it would be a good idea to change the head idle time on them so they dont always idle down soo much.

All out of stock in my area. As hypertek said search for wdidle3.exe and you'll find out how to change idle time. I have all mine set for 5 min, stock they are 8 sec.

All out of stock in my area. As hypertek said search for wdidle3.exe and you'll find out how to change idle time. I have all mine set for 5 min, stock they are 8 sec.

Original idle time on my drives was 12.8 seconds, i went and disabled it and put them in raid 0 array. So far so good.

I think it is a bit faster than my current old drives (seagate 320gb x2 raid 0 )
The new drives on left, old ones on right.
2r4hi7s.jpg

But of course you can see my old drive has alot on it, and the new drive is empty, so i dont know how that affects speeds.
This is an old dfi blood iron p35 btw.

Indianapolis here. Called three different local office depots and all three were out of stock of the 1tb and larger drives listed earlier with item numbers by DragonFyr... this would have been an epic deal if thr stores around here had any in stock

Doing more research on these drives, seems like it would be a good idea to change the head idle time on them so they dont always idle down soo much.

What do you mean idle? Do they power down due to inactivity? I thought I disabled this in power options when I made my custom profile! Or is this in the hard drives firmware regardless what windows power options you have?

Back